Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vw Corrado

Options
  • 06-03-2006 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

Seriously thinking about getting one of these, and I was wondering what you learned regular posters make of the corrado....genuine wolf-in-sheeps-clothing classic or impossible-to-insure joyrider magnet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Will soon be a real classic.
    If you can get the right car, in the right condition, and keep it that way you would be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

I drive one and I love it. Wouldn't part with it. Very nice cars to drive but be very careful in your selection. You would probably be best to get one in from England. As far as insurance goes, they are not that hard to insure, as long as you don't go with the G60 or VR6 as some insurance companies won't quote these :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

But unless you go for a G60 or VR6 you are just getting a GTI golf!

That's more sheep in wolf's clothing than the other way round. The VR6 is likely to be outta your league to tax let alone insure. It's a 2.8 IIRC.

The G60 is the supercharged one which has a higher bhp (again, IIRC) than the VR6 but is only 1.8. It'll be very quick and was the fastest VW ever built for a long time. Personally I'd love a G60 but I believe the superchargers are a weak (and expensive) spot.

VW actually built and sold a few G30 (I think it was a 30mm one anyway) Polo as a test bed for the supercharger to go into the Corrado! I saw one once in Carlow being driven by an elderly man. I wonder did he know what he was driving :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

AFAIK the VR6 in the Corrado is a 2.9 190bhp unit, as opposed to the 2.8 172bhp engine of the Golf VR6. The G60 gave 160bhp, although this was easily raised with new supercharger pullies etc. I drove a Corrado years ago, before eventually buying a Mk2 16v Golf. It was a nice drive, but reminded me of sitting in a letterbox looking out the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Thanks for all your info. I'm fairly elderly so the insurance might be less of a problem, and I can afford the tax ok; is shopping in the uk recommended simply because there's more of a selection?

• Advertisement

Hippo wrote:
    Thanks for all your info. I'm fairly elderly so the insurance might be less of a problem, and I can afford the tax ok; is shopping in the uk recommended simply because there's more of a selection?
    Basically, yes. If you can afford the extra expense then the VR6 is the one to go for.

Cheers one and all.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

The Polo was a G40, not G30. It had a 1.3 supercharged engine and was almost as quick 0-60 as a 1.9 205 GTi! Savage car and rare as hen´s teeth.

From what I´ve heard, Corrados aren´t as bulletproof as you would expect from a Volkswagen, so tread carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Definitel go for the VR6 if you can afford it. The 1.8 was a nice motor, but the extra oomph in the VR6 is well worth it. A friend had a 1990 1.8 corrado and the big end bearing went in it. I've always thought they were a beautiful car. My mates was canary yellow, (storm version i think) and was gorgeous. Best of luck getting a good one. Would love to get one as a hobby car some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

a friend of mine is selling one of these if your interested its a '94 in yellow (only one of this colour in ireland!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

looks a bit like a short Vento

VW%20Vento%201.9TBOD%2097.jpg
    h23.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

The VR6 is widely regarded as one of the best handling front drive/engined cars available.
    I think if you can afford the tax/insurance the sound alone always makes the V6 the better option.
    VR6 is also a defo future classic imo, almost a classic already.
    you lucky git;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ahhh not a modded Corrado! I much prefer them the way they came from Wolfsburg.
    That grill and single wiper look cheap.

CJhaughey wrote:
    Ahhh not a modded Corrado! I much prefer them the way they came from Wolfsburg.
    That grill and single wiper look cheap.

Sorry, hard to find pictures of standard ones. Always had a soft spot for Sciroccos and Corrados

that 1990 one loooks nice and original

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The owner must have really liked it as he has had it for 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have seen one for sale on the N22 on the way into Killarney
    It was in a tile showroom carpark, colour = metallic purple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I had one -1.8 16v- from 95 to 00 (90 wx 4288 black, has anyone seen it ?) best car I ever had ( I drive a porsche 911 now) very practical fun car.

neacy69 wrote:
    a friend of mine is selling one of these if your interested its a '94 in yellow (only one of this colour in ireland!!)

Sorry for being pedantic, but your facts are incorrect.. i did just say in my post that a friend of mine had a yellow corrado.. 1990 1.8. Was a meath reg. He sold it 2 years ago.. sad to see it leave. Please don't make claims like this unless you know them to be true. It's still on the road near edenderry afaik.

• Advertisement

Kermitt wrote:
    Sorry for being pedantic, but your facts are incorrect.. i did just say in my post that a friend of mine had a yellow corrado.. 1990 1.8. Was a meath reg. He sold it 2 years ago.. sad to see it leave. Please don't make claims like this unless you know them to be true. It's still on the road near edenderry afaik.

i think you'll fing that you are the one whose facts are incorrect my pedantic little frog. That 1990 corrado was wrapped around a tree not too long ago. My friend who is selling his yellw one knew the guy who owned it...

Out of interest, how can anyone be sure how many yellow Corrados there are in Ireland?:rolleyes:

Well, with all the respraying of cars these days to colour of choice, I doubt it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The Corrado is a superb car and the Storm, the 1995 last of the line edition, is stunning:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Corrado_VR6_Storm.JPG

The only one I've seen (quite regularly) was in Fermanagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Anan1 wrote:
    Out of interest, how can anyone be sure how many yellow Corrados there are in Ireland?:rolleyes:

If it was imported, and the colour is tied to a limited edition, and provided you can ask/request/obtain the info, it would be 'Rosslare' (I take it that's where Customs are and where the VRO creates new codes for imported cars that have no equivalents/stat code yet at time of IE registration).

That's "who" the VRO (Tallaght) told me they were waiting on the stat code from (for 2 whole weeks), when I reg'd my MX-5 last year... (and AFAIK, it's still the only one in the Republic - I know of at least another on on NI plates, and mine's the reason why you now have 'Berkeley' for MX5s on the VRT calculator drop-down menu :D )

The Storm is a class model. Saving up for one of those at the mo. But still have trouble paying 1100euro on car tax alone. :( But if you're looking for a classic model, you'd be looking for the Corrado Campaign ;)

neacy69 wrote:
    i think you'll fing that you are the one whose facts are incorrect my pedantic little frog. That 1990 corrado was wrapped around a tree not too long ago. My friend who is selling his yellw one knew the guy who owned it...

Fair enough.. sarcasm is a touch unneccesary. I still wish to point out that unless youare aware of the reg and location of every corrado on the island that a claim like that is open for criticism.

Ribbit

Kermitt wrote:
    Fair enough.. sarcasm is a touch unneccesary. I still wish to point out that unless youare aware of the reg and location of every corrado on the island that a claim like that is open for criticism.

Ribbit

apologies just thought you were tryna have a go at me

neacy

• Advertisement
Advertisement