Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seatbelts are not springing back properly

Options
  • 06-03-2006 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

I failed my NCT on this. Its a 1998 Mitsubishi Colt. The NCT guy told me to get a secondhand pair so I rang the dismantlers and they told me to fix it myself by winding it up tighter. Whats the best way to go about this... Is it a big job enough job that I should bring it in to the garage to get fixed? Do I need to get new seatbelts or can I just tighten the old ones?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Small job. The inertia reel mechanism is a bit loose. Not DIY unless you know what your about.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd be inclined to fit new ones, not a thing you should mess around with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

i'd be most definitely inclined to get someone who knows what they're at to fit new ones / repair it, after all your not really talking about passing your NCT here your talking about safety

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Second hand seat belts???? Do you really not value your life that much?
    Why not use bald tyres and spray oil on your discs while you are at it?
    Get a different mechanic!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't use frront seatbelts of something that was crashed. belt would be stretched, don't think old Colts had pre-tensioners

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

OK good points, I'll call the garage and get them to sort it. Thanks

Advertisement