Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting a login working in java

Options
  • 06-03-2006 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭

hi guys
    i got a gui done for an atm machine for java
    i just need to create some login code but it just doesn't work
    please lads can ye help me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Seriously, how exactly do you expect us to answer that? "Sure, stick this code in and it'll work...", or "Yeah you forgot to add --login-code to the compiler switches"....?

Honestly, if someone asked you that question how would you answer it? You'd start by asking them a ****load of more questions, because that OBVIOUSLY isn't enough information to go on. I'm not picking on you in particular, but so many people arrive with these hugely vague half-assed questions, and it just boggles my mind what sort of answers they expect.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

I think this is the fundamental problem though... if they knew how to ask the right questions, and how to think about the answers properly, they probably wouldn't be asking us?

To me, programming is giving a computer clear, (hopefully) concise and unambiguous instructions to do something. As a result, when I'm given a task, I work on breaking it down in such a manner.

So, I start asking questions, and trying to break them down until I can say "That set of answers is primitive enough to convert to instructions".

If more people had that skill, they'd not be asking these questions and expecting great insightful answers. GIGO.

There again, if I was writing an ATM in java, I'd be doing the ATM stuff first without gui (but with essentials like login) and THEN worry how it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Doesn't anyone design things any more?
    Code that has no underlying design will come back and bite you.

Start with what you want it to do and what you don't want it to do. It will be much clearer to you where to start. A bit of pseudo code can help to clear things up. Even posting that will help people make suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Homework thread closed. OP banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement