Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1891 Numbers

Options
  • 06-03-2006 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering while we're waiting for wireless can I use my eircom anytime package to use the IOL 1891 service for free (if I keep calls under 59 mins). How is 1891 charged on the anytime package, or should I use the 0502 number for the node?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No!

Numbers beginning with 1 are excluded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

No, I believe that every phone operator excludes these and other non-geographic access codes from their flat rate packages. Some will even say that they can detect data calls to standard telephone numbers. You would stand a better chance with the 0502 though they may exclude it on your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I expected they'd catch the 189x numbers alright. But I'd be surprised if they catch the 0502 number. If they monitored it as data and claimed the flat rate was for voice only, wouldn't they then be breaking their own rule whereby they claim they only rate PSTN lines for 'voice' and not 'data', i.e. they only make the distinction when it suits them. Still, I better check the small print.

189x numbers aren't treated differently technically than any other number, they still require a 64K PCM channel on eircoms network, the only advantage they gave was the reduced rate tariff, each ISP had to have a node in every local area to avail of the service.

Patrickof wrote:
    If they monitored it as data and claimed the flat rate was for voice only, wouldn't they then be breaking their own rule whereby they claim they only rate PSTN lines for 'voice' and not 'data',

If they monitor it full stop :p . They are a common carrier .

• Advertisement

The T&Cs for the eircom anytime package do state that among the excluded calls are:

....calls to eirpac, calls to other packet switched networks, .....

Now I wonder do they have a database of the 'real' numbers behind each local 1891 node and other networks that is checked against the billing system?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Eircom AFAIK special offer is for VOICE geographic, they do know if it is a call to internet, they may not know if it is Fax or direct person to person modem.

Tele2 DO have offer for GEOGRAPHIC (any call type). They are mostly cheaper than Eircom.

I may be wrong on some details here:
    If you can get more than 33K it is NOT a true analog modem call. The fastest end to end modem speed is about 33K.

56K uses a special kind of psuedo ISDN type call. It does NOT go through the voice ISDN codec at the exchange, but handled directly by the terminal equipment.

So anyway, however it is done an actual call to the ISP / Internet is always known by Eircom to be a data call. A 3rd party CPS service may not get this info. Eircom may not know if it is a BT exchange (I think there are a tiny few of those!). I don't thing LLU makes any difference.

Not that I know of. Watty has used Tele2 for similar purposes in the past by the way

Patrickof wrote:
    The T&Cs for the eircom anytime package do state that among the excluded calls are:

....calls to eirpac, calls to other packet switched networks, .....

Now I wonder do they have a database of the 'real' numbers behind each local 1891 node and other networks that is checked against the billing system?

AFAIK eircom know when you access an X.25 pad no matter what the number might be. See above. Genearlly X.25 access (via regular modem and remote PAD) doesn't at all work the same way as Internet though. I'd expect they don't know if you are using a PAD in N.I. Some call schemes (Tele2) allow N.I. numbers free weekend and evenings 1 hr duration.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Not that I know of. Watty has used Tele2 for similar purposes in the past by the way

However Watty's Metro works very nicely and Modem growing fungus under layer of dust. Actually this was true when it was in use as the modem and my Server live in the attic, sitting on a couple of boards.

Carphone warehouse buying the irish Tele2 operation is not as scary as Eircom buying Meteor.

Still waiting for Eircom to port our Eircom number to Digiweb, so still getting silly tiny bills from Tele2 that are about 1/2 the line rental.

I suppose number porting takes 8 weeks even when it isn't VOIP. (Digiweb's Wireless phone is closer to defunct Chorus Wireless phone in concept or NTL Digial Cable Phone than "normal" blueface or magnet VOIP. It even uses a nearly cable TV compatible DOCSIS box. There is actually some possibility that a Fax or not too fast modem will work over metro someday. Only a 12V gell cell is needed to make it work for about 3 hrs in power cut.).

• Advertisement
Advertisement