Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Wire

• 06-03-2006 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭

Anybody in here watch this
    tx_thewire.jpg.html

its a cop show based in baltimore, the story follows a secial drugs task force trying to bust a major drug ring using electronic servalance (spell check please) they were showing it on tg4 last year. i think it was up to season 3 anybody know if its coming back on any time soon.

its a class show i picked up the first 2 series on dvd last year and i've gotten all my friends hooked. tis well worth checking out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Brilliant show,best cop show on TV,and probably best show on HBO (yep,better than Sopranos). Have the first season on dvd and have seen seasons 2 and 3. Season 4 is due some time this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

did u see series 3 on tv or dvd?

it's one of the gritty's cop shows ever, ya just gotta love it. just love the way McNulity goes around pissing everybody off and not give a **** about it. the characters r just class. "Omar" only hbo wud put out a show with a gay dude sticking up drug dealer for a living in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Excellent stuff...but as for HBO programmes, it still can't touch OZ...Rome is a very high standard of TV show too (although not to everyone's taste).

As far as cop shows go though, I'll reluctantly admit that it outdoes even the Shield...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭father_ted9t9

Its gonna be shown on Channel 6 in the coming year.

unfortunitly i've only got regular cable tv so no channel 6 for me

• Advertisement

Well TG4 carried the other 3 seasons so they'll prolly be onboard for this one too...although that's conjecture on my part...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

isnt Channel 6 going to be on basic cable though. pity they wont be on Sky. the wire is a good purchase imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

The Wire? God it is like CRACK. Unbelievably good. I kept catching bits and pieces of it and meant to watch but it was so complicated I couldn't get into it, so the g/f bought me season one on DVD. Which I sat down to watch in mid feb.

Its a sad sign that the finest tv program in years, is on Tg4 and isn't heavily advertised or discussed in the media. Its fantastic, its got depth scope, arch, wit, intelligence, brilliant character development. God I watched one episode one night in my hotel room at a conference, and was just hooked burnt through the whole series in a week. My cousin sent me the whole second series and that was gone in a week as well. He's now in the process of sending me the third. I'm near giddy at the prospect of more Mc Nulty, Stringer Bell, and Bubbles.

Favourite stand out moment has to be from series one Bunk and Mc Nulty checking out the old crime scene, what seems like five minutes of the two of them just saying "fúck" over and over again and by the end they've got the shell casing and have figured out where the shooter was, runner up is the end of the second series the montage is just breathtaking.

one thing i really like about it is the way the show so much from the drug dealers side. it doesn't just concentrate on the cops side it show's avon family and everyday life. it also breaks down how the launder there cash and put it back in2 legal business's

my favourite characters wud have to be "bunk & mcnulty" the episode where bunk atempts to have an affair, but then he comes to his sense's (kind of) and then burns his clothes so the miss's can't smell the other womans perfum. just hilarious.

lester is another cool character, dude is always in the background working on something and then out of no where come's up with great ideas to help the case. plus he's got that fine stripper (d'angleo's girlfriend in season 1) living with him. nice work if u can get it!

Something that came with the last series my cousins sent me....and I think it's something t The Wire kind of hints at with
    the guy in the CIA passing on tips to the greek in season 2, Avon's jewish supply connection in New York, the property buying thing and local politics in season 1, etc

Anyways...
    wwwbilderbergmirrororguk2jq.jpg

Equally suited to the conspiracy forum, but meh...

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote:
    Something that came with the last series my cousins sent me....and I think it's something t The Wire kind of hints at with

I got the impression he
    the greek guy was FBI, I like the way they're making a gritty street drama but at the same time occasionally making a greater point about the US's fixation on the war on terror, and how they're taking the eye of the ball on domestic issue, while a focus on the "bigger picture" means that occasionally the links between drugs and terrorism is lost. I liked that bit in season one when the FBI are shutting down their drugs campaign because none of these guys are called Osama

Jay Ru wrote:
    did u see series 3 on tv or dvd?

On tv,TG4 showed it last year and FX are showing it at the moment.

i seen the some of the 3rd series on tg4 but with shift work it was nearly impossoble to keep up, not to worry i'm in the process of "obtaining" season 3 as we speak :cool:

Season 3 was great,with a bit of a shocker in the 2nd last episode. Great show.

tvnutz wrote:
    Season 3 was great,with a bit of a shocker in the 2nd last episode. Great show.

yeah i seen that episode, need to get the rest of the series now to put the piece's together. it was a big shock alright :(

Ahh so you saw it,
    String was such a great character,and seeing him get blown away like that was a bit of a :eek: moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I was reading about series 4 on the HPO forums the other day as I was expecting this to be back by now. Seems it's in production at the moment anyway so I'd guess it'll start sometime in the Summer. Anyway, there'll be big changes this year, it's going to focus on the drug problems in schools this time. Also, I think that McNulty won't be playing such a big part in this series, just a few guest slots :( I think the plan was to finish it at the end of series 3 so now not everyone wants back in.

I'm still looking forward to it though as it has been one of the best TV shows around, ever.

just got episodes one and two for series three. i'll throw em on after the footy this evening. i cant' wait!

watched the first two last, there class they jump right back in2 it. i don't think stringer is to keen about avon getting out any the new hustler on the the block marlo doesn't look like he's going to roll over any time soon . its gud to see omar back to his old tricks again, that dude just don't give a fook

episode's 3 & 4 for tonight, :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Good to see people talking about The Wire.Quality crime drama.

Have to agree with Wertz, in HBO terms nothing touches Oz.

• Advertisement

i'm up to episode 7 now, the series it just unreal. "hamsterdam" what an idea, and mcnulty, he just doesn't give a fook he'd sell his mother to get ahead in a case. it also looks like bodie has moved up a notch r two. omar is still as wreckless as ever and poor old bunk is out looking for that gun.

Omar is a great character as well,hell they are nearly all great characters in the show.

thats one thing i like about the show, there all of the strong characters. even down to the mid level lieutenants like bodie and the rest of em. method man "cheese" is class, very funny character, also big "slim charles" is just one of there do whatever type dude's. i can't fault this show in any way

i've finally seen all of series 3, what a show. the stories and characters r just wicked. can't wait for series 4

yep...lets hope season 4 can live up to the other seasons...no Stringer and no Avon,should be interesting to see what they can do.

tvnutz wrote:
    yep...lets hope season 4 can live up to the other seasons...no Stringer and no Avon,should be interesting to see what they can do.

Well I dunno they turned Stringer and Avon into a subplot in season two and it worked out well with the focus on Mike Subopski (spelling) the Greek and the union.

The problem is Mc Nulty he drove the series and seems to be happy as a pig in shít walking the beat again.

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/games/

Who's gun does bunk have to find?

Whats Mc Nulty's kids called?

How many hours was the wire up before they ditched the burners in season three?

Advertisement