Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girlfriend from Taiwan can she live here?

• 06-03-2006 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend is from Taiwan and its a long distance relationship. She has been to Ireland a few times and we also met up in the the USA for a few months last year. We plan on marrying in the future. I hope she can come and live here in the not too distant future but i'm worried about if she will be able to get into the country as the imigration laws seem fairly strict. Its ok for her to come on holidays but to come and live here i don't know if that would be allowed by the government. I'm just wondering would i have to marry her in Taiwan in order for her to the able to come here and live??? Has anyone had experiences of a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Dont quote me on this, but i think she can come over as a visitor and get a 3month stamp, you could then marry her and she gets residency in ireland. It takes a few years to get a passport though, she could still work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Dont quote me on this, but i think she can come over as a visitor and get a 3month stamp, you could then marry her and she gets residency in ireland. It takes a few years to get a passport though, she could still work.

I hope your right :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

She could try the student visa route - she can only work 20 hours a week though. Valid for 1(?) year, renewable. If it doesn't wrok out ..... :D

Does she have an in demand skill? IT, engineer, nurse?

There are different options http://www.oasis.gov.ie/employment/working_in_ireland/?CONTACTSID=c96ec17fa41e96dc5db7f37c19aa4087

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Samhildanach

Basically it's like this:

1. She can get a visitors visa (valid for a couple of months)
    2. She can get an Irish company to offer her employment (it only works if she's living outside Ireland (crazy I know) and the company needs someone with her skill)
    3. You can marry her in Taiwan and bring her back. (You need to prove that you have been dating long term - keep all emails/photos/evidence of your relationship - the government will request this proof before giving her a resident visa.

If you need more detailed information PM me.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

getting a visa from GNIB whether as a student or otherwise has become more and mroe difficult and gnib really are not the nicest crowd to deal with.
    A friend married a girl from taiwan and as far as I know she still has to have a visa and get it renewed.
    There is some info on the oasis site such as
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/moving_country/passports_and_visas/

• Advertisement
Advertisement