Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl specials for bikers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BaldiePablo

Cheers Mike ... Good Job!!

I'll be in LIDL first thing Monday morning!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

the back protect is the only thing that interests me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

is their tank bag any good?

what make tank bags are the best?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

j@utis wrote:
    is their tank bag any good?

what make tank bags are the best?

I know someone who got one. They are fine. Not the biggest - ie. they are no 3 tier tourer, but they do expand somewhat. Perfect for commuting etc.

I have a buffalo one myself. The whole tank bag thing is great.

txting through the plastic sheet at lights is overrated though...

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nice0ne

The battery charger seems to be very good value ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

hehe €30 for a helmet....

Some how I dont think it does what it says on the tin ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

sutty wrote:
    hehe €30 for a helmet....

Some how I dont think it does what it says on the tin ;)

What, like conform to EU regulations? C'mon, you can spend up to and over a grand on a lid, at what point do you say enough's enough-it's a helmet that's been tested and conforms to EU norms. It might not be as stylish as some or be as light or comfortable but it does do what it says on the tin.

I've a Takachi which cost €50 on eBay and it's even approved by the British Motorcycle Association for racing!

Well? Did you all get your bargains. I went a bit nuts and spent €270 on just about one of everything! My jacket was tatty and the liner had disappeared so had to get one of those, and sure the trousers match, so I just had to get a pair!

The rest of it was very cheap and all seems good quality or at least it's value for money. I grabbed one of those open faced helmets too, been wanting one for the summer and at €30, well, can't go wrong.

I had a look at the german Lidl site and there's more detail on the helmet there, it is tested by the TUV so it'll be grand.

The locks are good and heavy, if a little short but fine for locking a wheel to something.

Even got me one of those trickle chargers. They'll actually do any lead acid battery, just take a long time to charge one but very useful to keep a spare car battery fully charged (automatic overcharge protection so it's safe to leave permanently connected to a battery over winter say, and the battery can be left in the car too so my uncle's gonna get one for his vintage MG which lives indoors most of the time).

The tank bag is grand, robust but as said before, a touch small (which suits me cos my bike's tank isn't huge).

The balaclava is comfy and not itchy or anything.

No size 11 boots (I'm a 12 but was hoping to squeeze into a pair) in either of the Lidl's in Blanch and none in either store room, might try Leixlip and Maynooth 'cos I do need a pair of proper boots.

All in all, the best things are the jackets and trousers which are very cosy and reasonably priced IMO.

Boght the intercom thingy but won't get to try that out until I pass the oul test :(

The size 10 boots are the same as a size 11 shoe so I got a pair of them. The balaclava does a nice job keeping you warm too, recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭akn

Two things on this:

Helmet: How much do you value your head? if cant be replaced like and paying €30 for a helmet is stupid.

Lock: why pay thousands for a bike and then put a €15 lock on it????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

murphaph wrote:
    The rest of it was very cheap and all seems good quality or at least it's value for money. I grabbed one of those open faced helmets too, been wanting one for the summer and at €30, well, can't go wrong.(

Were you driving along the canal about 9.40 this morning??? A guy in front of me at a set of lights there (around about Portabello) had an open face helmet attached to his sissy bar, labels flapping about in the wind caught my attention. Was wondering what he was doing with a new open face helmet that hour of the morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 modal_ie

I got the bike cover and the rain overalls - both seem good quality.

Got the intercoms the last time round - you really need a small elastic over the wind cover on the mic - was only out 5 mins with mine when they blew off and they're completelty unusable without them - you just get a horrible whisteling noise in your ear. Best thing about these intercom kits is that with a set of walkie talkies (have tried this with Unidens) with a headpiece socket you can get bike to bike radio working quite cheaply. You'll need a 3.5mm to 2.5mm jack adapter to do this.

Also got the tank bag last time and used it a handful of times - no complaints.

akn wrote:
    Two things on this:

Helmet: How much do you value your head? if cant be replaced like and paying €30 for a helmet is stupid.
    Can you show me a scale which correlates price paid to protection afforded by a lid? It has the same EU standard printed on it as any other lid and I trust the Technische Ueberwachung Verein (Technical overseeing council) TUV 100% to test these things properly. I wouldn't buy it if it didn't have certification frok such a trusted testing agency. The TUV are the people who test buses and lifts and escalators in Germany-I take it that you wouldn't trust them either and would walk or use the stairs when on your weekend away in that country! :rolleyes:
    akn wrote:
    Lock: why pay thousands for a bike and then put a €15 lock on it????
    Personally I paid hundreds for my bike but again, you automatically equate price with quality. I've bought plenty of expensive sh!t that's fallen apart, so what happened there then? The lock is cheap, Lidl have 6000 stores-that's an awesome buying power and they can commission orders for themselves on that scale and they aren't paying big bucks for advertising. I have an Oxford lock I bought on eBay for £15 but it's €70 in Halfords, so did I get a 'good' lock or a 'bad' lock? Using your 'logic' it's impossible to tell :eek:

art wrote:
    Were you driving along the canal about 9.40 this morning??? A guy in front of me at a set of lights there (around about Portabello) had an open face helmet attached to his sissy bar, labels flapping about in the wind caught my attention. Was wondering what he was doing with a new open face helmet that hour of the morning!
    Not guilty. I used 4 wheels to get my stuff this morning!

murphaph wrote:
    Not guilty. I used 4 wheels to get my stuff this morning!
    :) I guess getting to Lidls was popular this morning! Gonna have to leave work early from the sounds of things to see what's left - want a few of them balaclavas, maybe some boots, gloves... maybe a lock :rolleyes:

I agree with your previous post too - just paying out lots of cash is not a guarantee of quality (I've bought enough bloody Sony products at this stage to have noticed that!). Helmet costs tend to escalate from the shell material, the number of holes, the finish on the shell, gimics like quick release visors and so on. The under-lying safety elements however tend to be similar amongst those with the proper certification.

(As in your Lift example, how many of us ask to see the price tag before entering a lift! ;) )

art wrote:
    :) I guess getting to Lidls was popular this morning! Gonna have to leave work early from the sounds of things to see what's left - want a few of them balaclavas, maybe some boots, gloves... maybe a lock :rolleyes:
    There were copious quantities of those smaller things in Blanch Lidl (presumably similar numbers in them all) and it was only the larger items which seemed limited. I'd say if you've got a few lidls around you (I have something like 6 within 20 mins drive-that's surely a bad sign!) then you'll likely get what you want between them however those items could also be bought by cyclists etc. so you never quite know. The bike cover sounds a lot better than my oxford one, might go back down and grab one at €13 you can't really go wrong!

I'm gonna try for boots in a few places.

The whole low price=sh!te is a flawed logic. I'm sure everything I bought is made in Germany or at least made for a german company and all feels perfectly good quality.

I went to Lidl in Walkinstown first thing this morning. There was about a dozen people there and the stuff was going fast. If you're a size 10 don't bother going there for any more boots ...

Nice0ne wrote:
    I went to Lidl in Walkinstown first thing this morning. There was about a dozen people there and the stuff was going fast. If you're a size 10 don't bother going there for any more boots ...
    Interesting, neither Lidl near me had more than 2 people looking at the bike stuff first thing. All very relaxed actually.

:eek: Some poor guy is gonna pay over €66 for this item which is available in Lidl today for €7.99:eek:

That's what those pesky Lidl bulk buyers do with the stuff. That's a hell of a profit.

Nice0ne wrote:

That's the one I feckin picked to go to on my way home. Was really hoping for the boots but came away with gloves anyhow, which wasn't so bad. And a lock. Them locks seem okay - small but heavy. Do as a backup anyhow. But the stuff was moving fairly fast then, lots of people picking him helmets. No balaclava things left as far as I could see, though plenty of bike covers and the intercom sets still there. There was even coppers coming in to have a rummage around. It was a bit like being at the bike show - never seen so many bikers all in one place (well, inside a supermarket anyhow)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I missed the last tank pack by a few seconds :(

tk123 wrote:
    I missed the last tank pack by a few seconds :(
    Actually, there was a fair few tank bags too in Walkinstown when I was there. I wasn't interested cause I doubt they'd fit my Tiger properly but there was at least five or six there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Loads of tankbags, boots and locks still in LIDL Galway as of this morning. I think I got the only XL jacket to come into the shop and I just spent the childrens allowance on shiny stuff again...

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

I bought one of the E30 helmets, the full face one with ht visor in red/black/white/blue design. I just want it for my quad, its class actually. Fits real well and has vents, seems very sturdy too and the insides and padding is all good quality.

Im pleased with it anyways.
    If i was on a motorbike though everyday, perhaps i`d buy a more expensivge one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 insomniac_32

Would you really trust a helmet that only cost thirty quid??:confused:

Would you really trust a helmet that only cost thirty quid??:confused:
    Not this sh!t again. Aldi are flogging a helmet (attached) for £35 in the UK from Thursday. Not only does it have the standard EU approval (like all helmets sold for road use, including Lidl ones) but it also has the ACU 'Gold Sticker' (race approved). So this is a little dearer, but not much and people far more qualified than you have decided it's good enough to race in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 insomniac_32

murphaph wrote:
    Not this sh!t again. Aldi are flogging a helmet (attached) for £35 in the UK from Thursday. Not only does it have the standard EU approval (like all helmets sold for road use, including Lidl ones) but it also has the ACU 'Gold Sticker' (race approved). So this is a little dearer, but not much and people far more qualified than you have decided it's good enough to race in.

Im sorry.I didnt mean to upset you.I never mentioned being qualified at anything bty.I simply cant see how a helmet that costs thirty quid can be as safe as one that costs a couple of hundred (regardless of what the sticker says).You wouldnt see Rossi racing around in a lidl helmet, or a slightly more expensive aldi one for that matter.And for the record, I came off the back of a moped while wearing a helmet that was cheap and which had reached the safety standards necessary to be used on the road, and when my head hit the ground the f*****g thing split in half.We weren't even going that fast.Hence my reluctance to trust a helmet that cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

And for the record, I came off the back of a moped while wearing a helmet that was cheap and which had reached the safety standards necessary to be used on the road, and when my head hit the ground the f*****g thing split in half.We weren't even going that fast.Hence my reluctance to trust a helmet that cheap.

Just to inform you, that this is exactly what a helmet is supposed to do under impact. The impact energy is absorbed by the helmet which is disapated around the head rather than staying intact and transmitting the energy of the impact down the spine.

Also, a helmet is only designed to absorb one impact. Are you sure that you didn't drop your one by accident once before? Even small scratches on the surface can change the impact charastics of the (any, even a €600) helmet.

There is nothing wrong with a €30 helmet that has passed the exact same standard tests as a €600 helmet.

Infact, (this has been said previously), a correctly fitting €30 helmet will protect you better than an incorrectly fitting €600 one will.

A €600 Arai can probably be broken down cost wise into €100 name, €100 weight, €75 ventilation, €100 removable and washable internal material, €150 paint job.... you get the idea.

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

LONG SHOT > Anyone know if blach has any gear left...?

Is this the second time biker gear has been on offer in Lidl?! Keep missing it!!

• Advertisement

Im sorry.I didnt mean to upset you.I never mentioned being qualified at anything bty.I simply cant see how a helmet that costs thirty quid can be as safe as one that costs a couple of hundred (regardless of what the sticker says).You wouldnt see Rossi racing around in a lidl helmet, or a slightly more expensive aldi one for that matter.And for the record, I came off the back of a moped while wearing a helmet that was cheap and which had reached the safety standards necessary to be used on the road, and when my head hit the ground the f*****g thing split in half.We weren't even going that fast.Hence my reluctance to trust a helmet that cheap.
    Sorry for ranting at you man, I see you're new here but I am sick of people trotting out the line that cheap=dangerous and expensive=safe in the lid arena. It's just not that simple. There's no point in me repeating what nereid said, but that's basically the truth. The people who perform the testing on Lidl lids (for example) are one of the world's most respected testing houses, TUV. If they say it does x, y and z, it does x, y and z. You're pying for functionality, style, branding etc. when you shell out more for a helmet.

Advertisement