Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl specials for bikers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

I came off my bike in town yesterday. Hit a guy on a push bike, his fault, just pulled out in front of me (mainly his I was going a little fast too), doing about 30mph.

Anyways, I was wearing full protective clothing but my boots were from Lidl, the last time they sold them. The bike literally fell on my ancle as I was sliding. Only injury I got was a brused leg and a spraned wrist. So the boots at least held up for me.

As regards the jackets they had, I looked at them and found them to be a little light. I paid about 200 pounds for my jacket (non lidl) and it is shredded right down to the padding from my accident. Not sure if the lidl would be half as good.

As regards the helmets I'm no expert but I guess I have the impression like everyone else that cheap means less quality, but if you look at the tools lidl do they are half the price and the same quality as the branded ones so possibly the helmets are the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

If you are prepared to trust your life to these helmets, thats cool enough. I, on the other hand would not...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Good to hear you've no major injuries Delanest. Cyclists can be a bit unpredicable. Is there much damage to your bike?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Its not to bad actually, most of the weight came on the foot pegs and handle bars, just had to bend the foot peg and reset the handlebars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

ALDI are selling the same range of bike gear this sunday (26th) for anyone who mised the LIDL stuff and can't live without it. On the helmet front, they are as good as any budget helmet and cheaper but the padding, straps and finish will not last as well as those on a dearer helmet.

I guess a cheap helmet is better than none.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Who's your source 'cptr??? I'm very interested in a pair of Aldi boots!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

murphaph wrote:
    Who's your source 'cptr??? I'm very interested in a pair of Aldi boots!!
    aldi.ie

Boots are forty euro.

Cheers noby. I checked aldi.ie before I asked and the sunday specials were still lingerie and shoes! They must have just updated it in the last hour. Good stuff, please let there be size 12's in stock!!! Wonder which is the best store to hit near me..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

the trousers look decent too

Trousers and jackets look just like the Lidl ones to me, which I bought and am very pleased with. Might get a pair of those gloves too, they look a bit tougher than the Lidl ones and at 20 quid sure who cares, a spare pair anyway.The rainsuits all look better than the Lidl ones.

• Advertisement

Well, anybody go to Aldi?
    I got the boots!! Yeah, they're a 'snug' fit even though they say size 12 but I reckon they'll stretch a touch. Much better looking than the Lidl ones last week.

I also couldn't help myself from buying another chain lock (again, better quality than Lidl to me) and a disc lock (didn't buy one in Lidl). The dic lock keys have a led in them to help you find the lock barrel at night!

I also bought the gloves. They had two types there. Lidl style ones and better ones with a meatier degree of knuckle protection.

Anyone else go? Palmerstown was busy with bikers, the boots seemed particularly popular.

Edit: The locks are both swiss made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Went to Coolock to buy the trousers.
    They were gone but picked up a rain suit.

Was impressed with the jackets and bought one of those. There was plenty of stuff still left in the Coolock branch.

Didn't buy the lock but I agree that they're quality.

There was little interest in the jackets or trousers in Palmerstown. Might be worth your while heading there for the trousers. They looked good witha reinforced seat. I got Lidl ones so didn't buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

I got the Jacket, Trousers, Gloves & Bike Cover in Tallaght today. All superb value for money.:D

There were a lot of bikers there. But they had plenty of stock (early on anyhow).

Cal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

murphaph wrote:
    There was little interest in the jackets or trousers in Palmerstown. Might be worth your while heading there for the trousers. They looked good witha reinforced seat. I got Lidl ones so didn't buy.

I may well head out there tomorrow evening. Or maybe try a few stores that are closer.

Well pleased with my jacket and the trousers are made by the same company so I'm sure they'll be good.

Was just up in Fonthill Rd Aldi there (for Pizzas and an excuse to try my new boots, not more bike gear :D ) and all the bike clothing appears to have sold. Still helmets and boots available there.

I seems to have been quite popular. Probably because Lidl had their bike stuff on a Monday and today being Sunday would allow more people to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

if your local Lidl/Aldi runs out, you need to visit an obscure one.

Like, er, Longford.:D There's only 2 bikers in Longford, anyhoo:p , so there's loads left over.

That's where I picked up stuff after Galway sold out.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement