Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Second Leg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Barcelona deserve to go trhough, Chelsea had one chance, never looked like creating anything.

Referee was a joke and ruined the game, blowing everything. I see snipers were at the match, the amount of players getting shot was unbelievable.

I think the penalty decision summed up that referee, terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

51 fouls. 51 fcuking fouls. It was like wathing American football, a bloody whistle every 21 seconds. Thats not including offsides, so frustrating to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Listening to Mourinho's interview, he has a complete lack of sportsmanship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Mourinho still thinks Chelsea are better than Barca! His logic is 11 v 11 they never lost to them. Good logic there. I guess we just need to outlaw red cards from the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Awful game in fairness.

Barca were probably the better team. Chelsea never really dominated the possession to hurt them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Good ol' morinho still didn't conceed defeat.
    I think in many ways he got the tactics wrong, ha ha he made my day. Well done barca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Tonight was further proof that Chelsea are nothing but a run of the mill European side. Pity that so many average Premiership teams admit defeat to them before a ball is kicked because Chelsea are nothing special.

Ronaldinho single handedly made a poor game into a decent game with his sublime Godlike footballing skills.... not the first time he's done this may I add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Im glad I waited to go out to the pub tomorrow to watch Liverpool playing...game was poor. I wonder what Mourinhos post match interview will be like! Villareal and Rangers were also very unlucky over the 2 legs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

i think terry was trying his usual cheating for the goal,u can see he has his eyes on ronaldiniho and was trying to block him with his body,big fool.

carvalho was cheating earlier in game too,pulling jerseys when ref wasnt looking.
    chelsea spent 400million euro in last year or so and thats all that can produce!!!
    says a lot about the premiership too.
    complete lack of creativity in midfield and up front. england think they will do well in world cup but judging by some of their players performances in europe they are living in dreamland.

• Advertisement

Good ol' morinho still didn't conceed defeat.
    I think in many ways he got the tactics wrong, ha ha he made my day. Well done barca.
    yeah his tactics werent great,oh special one tell us the secrets of your greatness.bad loser too,couldnt score a goal from open play in all time it was eleven v eleven during two legs./

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Shíte game. Neither side were particularly good but Barca played a good tactical game, kept the ball well and didn't let Chelsea penetrate them at all.

Mourinho got the tactics all wrong. Despite all the eulogizing going on I still think that Barca can be beaten, provided their opponents get the balance between defence and attack right. Chelsea forgot about the attack part tonight, the attacking players were completely isolated.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm just delighted to see that billions may buy you the domestic trophies but unless you turn a bunch of mercenaries into a passionate unit you'll meet your end in europe.

Chelsea never looked like they truely wanted it. I think they are too used to just getting results with standard effort - they aren't used to having to truely fight for it - lacked any kind of passion.

As someone else said though - speaks volumes for the current standard of the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Drogbas dive on about 50 mins was splendid though! Before talking about the money Chelski have spent how muih did Barcas current squad cost? Not cheap I suspect.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Think it some tactical mistakes by mourinho. Taking drogba off for crespo, why? Drogba was doing well but got no service. Duff had an awful game and wasn't fully fit anyway, but when you're playing against barcelona he didn't even seem to get the adrenaline going at any point. I think tonight's match showed that chelsea don't need to resort to cheap tactics like watering a muddy pitch. They did enjoy the space at the nou camp, when they had decent possession.

Problem was their passing was dire and as Lawro rightly pointed out, when chelsea are chasing the game they just don't have it. Counterattack is really the only way they know how. Bringing on huth at the end was ridiculous, crespo and drogba on the field at the same time would of at least got catalan hearts racing. Same thing against liverpool last season, they needed a goal and made some crazy subs. Chelsea need to adapt their style of play slightly, but I really do think Chelsea can learn from this. Mourinho needs to sit down and use his remaining premiership matches to try and dominate teams with possession for 90 minutes as barca did to them tonight.

he should have gone with two outright strikers from the begining. when his 4-5-1 system aint working they dont have a plan b

• Advertisement

did you see the mistake by the Bremen goalie? :eek:

Not a great night for him. First they stick him in that pink jersey and then *that*!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Delighted for Chelsea. Even if Liverpool go out tomorrow, this will soften the blow.

At least a real football club will win the trophy now.

he should have gone with two outright strikers from the begining. when his 4-5-1 system aint working they dont have a plan b
    lol, Chelsea have the best record at coming from behind in the premiership. They are frustratingly good at it, but for some reason tonight Mourinho didn't take his usual approach. I could understand why he took off Duff and Drogba (if Duff is gone, then in theory Drogba's primary source of supply goes too), but I thought he should have given Gudjohnsen a chance to play just behind Drogba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PiE wrote:
    Delighted for Chelsea. Even if Liverpool go out tomorrow, this will soften the blow.

How will it soften the blow, Have to say that attitude from football fans puzzels me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

The Muppet wrote:
    How will it soften the blow, Have to say that attitude from football fans puzzels me.

Try reading a whole post for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Both Barcelona and Villarreal through :D

Very dodgy penalty for Chelsea though. Imagine going to a city to attack the home team bus, what planet are some Rangers fans on :eek:

PiE wrote:
    Try reading a whole post for once.

I did read your whole post , "Delighted for Chelsea" I undestand as Sarcasm, " At least a real football club will win the cup now " I understand as a dig at Chelsea Under Roman.

I still fail to see how Chelsea going out tonight could soften the Blow for you if the club you support go out tommorrow night. As I sad that attitude from Football fans puzzels me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Not a great game, couldn't match the first leg for drama or excitement. Just to echo everyone else, I think Barca deserved to go through. They played keep-ball for a lot of the game tonight and never came under a sustained period of pressure from Chelsea. Ronaldinho's goal was amazing as usual, he brushed aside John Terry like he was a child. The penalty decision was shocking, but didn't make much difference (except piss off a few people who I'm sure had Barca in accumulators).

P.S. Why were there only 3 games tonight? I thought Milan v Munich was on as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Crazy Rangers fans...

Hard luck to them though, they really did give it their all over the two legs - and for a Scottish team to even get that far is quite an achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I thought he would have done that as I expected him to be more willing to tinker with his formation. He seemed afraid of barca's attacking players and never tried to take it to them.
    Chelsea have the best record from coming back from behind in the premiership.
    I think it has been established that the premiership isn't all it's cracked up to be.

P.S. Why were there only 3 games tonight? I thought Milan v Munich was on as well.

Inter play Ajax next week.

Mike.

I haven't checked the fixtures but I'd guess Inter are playing at home tomorrow ? Hense one Milan team would have to shove their fixture forward a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

It may have only finished 1-1, but rarely have Barca had it so comfortable. Chelsea offered so little for a side who needed to go hell for leather, only one clear cut chance the entire match where Crespo did well until the finish. You can't expect to win the champions league when starting donkeys like Drogba, and I believe he was the most expencive player on the pitch. Simply baffling.

NoelRock wrote:

they really did give it their all over the two legs - and for a Scottish team to even get that far is quite an achievement.

Agree, especially considering how poor they are in the SPL

Slash/ED wrote:
    It may have only finished 1-1, but rarely have Barca had it so comfortable. Chelsea offered so little for a side who needed to go hell for leather, only one clear cut chance the entire match where Crespo did well until the finish.

Yep, you would swear Chelsea only needed 0-0 to go through. They needed 2 goals without reply, they certainly did not play like they needed to get that scoreline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

mike65 wrote:
    Inter play Ajax next week.

Mike.
    Pigman II wrote:
    I haven't checked the fixtures but I'd wager Inter are playing at home tomorrow ? Hense one Milan team would have to shove their fixture forward a week.
    Oh yeah, thanks, forgot that both Milan teams were in the San Siro for the second leg.

I think it has been established that the premiership isn't all it's cracked up to be.
    Was this established before or after Liverpool and Chelsea beat all the top continental teams (Barca, Milan, Juve and Bayern) on the way to the Scouser's CL win last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Agree, especially considering how poor they are in the SPL

Aye - makes it all the more impressive, much like Arsenal's present run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

i am delighted that chelsea lost, it will shut up that arrogant mourinhio, i hate him with a passion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Picture a typical British hooligan, multiply that by 15,000 and you could only imagine what it was like in VilaReal tonight.

Was this established before or after Liverpool and Chelsea beat all the top continental teams (Barca, Milan, Juve and Bayern) on the way to the Scouser's CL win last season?

yeah liverpool and chelsea are arguably 2 best teams in england over last 12 months ,porto won it year before,does that make the protugese league great?? liverpool have a great defence ,tons of clean sheets so they are bound to do well but both teams lack flair and technical ability.chelsea are also tight at back and efficient in midfield but they're boring and inferior to many european teams in footballing terms

Picture a typical British hooligan, multiply that by 15,000 and you could only imagine what it was like in VilaReal tonight.

Don't you mean Scottish? :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭adeypius

mike65 wrote:
    Before talking about the money Chelski have spent how muih did Barcas current squad cost? Not cheap I suspect.
    QUOTE]
    In CL football terms not a lot. Barca has a big youth policy
    7 of the squad came through the youth system.
    Valdés, Jorquera, Puyol, Oleguer, Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, (not sure about Gabri)
    In the summer months they signed two players – van Bommel and Ezquerro on free transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Well to be fair I thought it was a very average game. The ref killed it, you don't have to blow up for everything. Even when a miniscule niggle happened for either side and the ball went to one of their players, let it play on ffs.

Aside from that I just didn't get Chelsea. They didn't for it in the second half. I can understand it for the first half as you don't want to conceed but the second they should have went all out, two strikers.

Still its no shame drawing 1-1 away against the best side in the world and having 60% of the ball for the second half now is it?

I also find the attitude by some fans hillarious. Don't like Chelsea fine, but saying that your team being knocked out won't be so bad because Chelsea didn't go through is just sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Was that Grobbelaar in goal for Bremen?

That spill he had in the dying seconds was very suspect :cool:

If he was playin in Italy now I can see the poor guy waking up this morning with a horses head beside him...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

I can't get over Mourinho saying the better team lost over 2 legs. Giving out about a bad referee from the first leg, and he says Barca haven't beaten Chelsea 11 v 11 over the 4 games, yet he doesn't point out the terrible penalty decision, and the fact Barca should have had one in the first half, when Carvalho was trying to swap shirts with someone.

Incidentally, do the police have any leads on the sniper who took out Drogba in teh 2nd half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Crespo had just as bad mid air tumble as well, he should have put more effort into hitting the back of the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

I find it funny how the self proclaimed special one, when he needs to come up with something special........sticks two centre backs up front???
    Special my arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

ianomccabe wrote:
    I find it funny how the self proclaimed special one, when he needs to come up with something special........sticks two centre backs up front???
    Special my arse!
    To me, watching Huth on the sideline with a desperate Mourinho behind him, looked like Kerr behind Doherty. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

how gutted must SWP feel to not get on at all and have Huth put on as an attacking option before him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

It will be interesting tonight to see if the other two remaining English clubs can scrape through. It would really make the EPL look bad if Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal were knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think Uefa and many people involved in football across Europe and indeed the world, will be breathing a big sigh of relief and satisfaction this morning with the knock-out of Chelski from the CL at this relatively early stage. Abramovich's aim to buy success in England and in Europe has faltered badly this season in the CL, which is his ultimate target. Although for Abramovich, his aim is just to stay alive, have a good foothold in England, and he couldnt care less where he spends/wastes wealth. This Chelsea thing to him is just a plaything.

In terms of the football, Chelsea didnt put it up to Barca and played their typical game, looking for a break type of goal. Lampard was particularly anonymous. They came close a couple of times. Cole had a half chance that landed on the net, and Crespo's nip in front of the keeper just went a foot or less wide at the near post. Not a great game for Duff and his substitution off was inevitable, but from an Irish perspective, at least he got his game. Ronaldinho eventually got through, running through with good physical strength (which is needed against Terry who made a mistake and stopped) and for once Cech's initial reaction to his shot was wrong and he failed to keep it out. 1-0 to Barca. Barca were doing well, even with Messi off injured.

Chelsea werent creating much and once Huth was brought on we all knew that they were at desperation levels. The penalty Chelsea got at the death to give them some respect in the scoreline was not a penalty. Luckily it came so late that it didnt matter. Terry was in the first instance offside from the through ball and then when he went to shoot, he was tackled perfectly but he kicked the man and went over. It should have been a free-kick out of anything on two counts, so a blatant mistake by the ref. So, 1-1 was not a fair reflection of the game and flattered Chelsea, 1-0 was closer to what happened on the pitch.

Where I watched it last night (a different establishment to the last time) there was once again a huge anti-Chelsea reaction among the punters. Also a huge anti-Mourinho feeling. I didnt hear any post-match interviews but from what I've read today, Mourinho is still ranting and raving and weaseling away from the plain facts of the matter that Chelsea over the 2 legs were deservedly beaten. His attitude is making more enemies for Chelsea and creating more ABC's.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

mike65 wrote:
    Don't you mean Scottish? :)

Mike.
    Well there's a steriotypical British hooligan and that would be my image of a travelling Rangers fan. :)

Typical Rangers news when away on their travels:
    MADRID, March 7 (Reuters) - Spanish police arrested eight Britons in the seaside resort of Benidorm after violence flared before Tuesday's Champions League second-leg match between Villareal and Rangers, local media reported.

Police were not immediately available to comment.

Reports said groups of Scottish fans hurled stones, bottles and glass at police.

In a separate incident, one of the windows in the Villarreal team bus was broken as supporters threw bottles and shouted insults as the Spanish team approached the Madrigal stadium.

and Celtic:
    Vilareal fanatic Ernesto Boixader fell out of love with football after the tragic death of his young son _ until Celtic fans brought joy back into his life.

...And Ernesto was so touched he decided to set up his own Celtic supporters club in Spain.

" After the 1-1 draw with Celtic at Parhead the whole City was excited about the return game - except me. " I was walking out of work on the day of the game on my way home. " As I walked to my car I heard an unbelievable noise and whent to see were it was coming from. " I was amazed when I saw the Celtic and Vilareal fans singing and dancing together and I had an unbelievable feeling that told me to go to El Madrigal.

Oh, the contrast. ;)

On the football, if Rangers lost last night Scotland would have been 11th in the rankings for next season meaning the winners have to go through a round of qualifying (in 2 seasons time). Being 10th means Celtic will most likely qualify automatically. :)

To me, watching Huth on the sideline with a desperate Mourinho behind him, looked like Kerr behind Doherty. :D

LOL thats exactly what I though when I saw Huth warming up.

Murinho is really doing Chelsea no favours,I have always supported the English clubs in Europe but I found myself wanting Barca to knock them out last night becaus of Murinho's actions recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    Well there's a steriotypical British hooligan and that would be my image of a travelling Rangers fan. :)
    Lee Carsley? :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement