Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Second Leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Incidentally, do the police have any leads on the sniper who took out Drogba in teh 2nd half?

No, could it be the same one that took Ronaldinho and Etoo out as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

eirebhoy wrote:
    Well there's a steriotypical British hooligan and that would be my image of a travelling Rangers fan. :)

Typical Rangers news when away on their travels.

And some could say that their view of your typical Orish Celtic fan were those lads throwing rocks at the gardai and wrecking the city centre the other weekend, but maybe we should concentrate on the football instead of your usual hun bashing nonsense eh?

So, regarding the football:

Rangers did well over the two legs. No one gave them the slightest chance to get a result in Spain, but they gave it a good shot and I don't think theres any shame in going out to (lets be honest) a far better team, on away goals. They could have won it at the end, if Kris Boyd had known how to kick the ball towards the goal :( but I think they did Scotland proud last night.

The team I mean, not the few morons who threw missiles at the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Raners, despirte what might have happened with their fans, did themselves proud on the football pitch. They acquitted themselves very well over the two legsa and really showed that they can stand up and be counted when they want to be. And they were so close to going through, if only Kris Boyd had of shown a bit of composure when presented with that great late chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

ABC is an interesting concept now, with Chelsea displaying even more arrogance than United used to back in the glory days.
    You know it will have all changed, when United play Chelsea, and the punters are rooting for United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

The difference is United in their hey-day always played fluid attacking football, Chelsea are far from this. I believe Chelsea are more despised now than United ever were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

meepmeep wrote:
    And some could say that their view of your typical Orish Celtic fan were those lads throwing rocks at the gardai and wrecking the city centre the other weekend, but maybe we should concentrate on the football instead of your usual hun bashing nonsense eh?

Well the hooligans last night were over there on a Rangers football trip, the hooligans in Dublin had nothing to do with Celtic other than they bought/borrowed a jersey.
    So, regarding the football:

Rangers did well over the two legs. No one gave them the slightest chance to get a result in Spain, but they gave it a good shot and I don't think theres any shame in going out to (lets be honest) a far better team, on away goals. They could have won it at the end, if Kris Boyd had known how to kick the ball towards the goal :( but I think they did Scotland proud last night.

Rangers were very lucky to get a draw at Ibrox, the tie could have been finished there. Last night, they held their own against a superior team (who, strangely enough, played terrible in the 1st half). Rangers belied their poor league form. Imagine the manager who takes the first Scottish team into the knockout phase gets the boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

TheMonster wrote:
    The difference is United in their hey-day always played fluid attacking football, Chelsea are far from this. I believe Chelsea are more despised now than United ever were.

May I jump to conclusions and presume you're a ManU supporter? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I am pleasantly surprised to find so many top football managers posting on this thread, obviously many of you took time out from your football careers to watch and analyze the Chelsea game last night, and I'm sure JM will look forward to reading your insightful analysis in the coming days. :rolleyes:

You berate Chelsea for not attacking the game, even though they set up with Cole, Drogba, Duff and Robben all on, of course Liverpool, Arsenal or Man USA would have all gone about this in a very different way and would no doubt have played 10 up front in order to secure a result. By and large Chelsea matched Barca for most of the game, sure they had more possession ( but they were at home, and this is Barca after all), but there was not a whole lot between the two, the main difference being Ronaldinho. When the Duff, Robben, Drogba set up wasn't working, Chelsea bring on Gudjonsen and Crespo ( who could well have scored) ...or did you all miss that change too? Bringing Huth on was a desperate measure, but if your going to go long ball , then it doesn't hurt to have giant up front with the dimunutive Crespo, no doubt you all would have prefered it if Chelsea just rolled over.

Also, no mention of the Barca defender who threw himself to the ground when Drogba ran past him.

This anti-chelsea vitriol is becoming very tiresome, I know I am biased in Chelsea's favour (obviously) but many of you lot are as blinkered in your views and should probably worry more about your own teams' progression (except Utd fans) than about the tactical deficiencies of Mourinho and Chelsea.

I think the actual figure for Chelsea spending last year was $7 trillion.

Anyway, Barcelona are a great team, great players with a huge amount of talent so losing to one of the best is acceptable to me. Now, the only way Chelsea can go into these games with a better chance is to buy even more quality players from around the world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Growler - I thought the lineup was terrible for such a difficult match. 1 non-attacking midfielder in the entire team is stupid. Look at Barca, Edmilson would be their Makelele, Deco would be their Lampard. With Ronaldinho, Messi and Eto'o in the team they have to play Motta to balance things up. If Maniche replaced Duff or Robben in last night's lineup Chelsea would have been a lot better. I've no managerial experience but I'm pretty certain of that. :) Duff and Makelele were the main workers off the ball last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

growler wrote:
    Also, no mention of the Barca defender who threw himself to the ground when Drogba ran past him.

You mean Marquez! What amazed me most about the game is that Chelski got a dubious penalty and Barca got none even though Carvalho wrestled players to the ground in the box on at least three occasions and Etoo was tripped in the box!
    growler wrote:
    This anti-chelsea vitriol is becoming very tiresome,

The actions of the club and of some of their players bring out the anti Chelsea feeling! In fact in the pub I was in last night not one person was cheering for Chelsea! A huge cheer went up when Barcelona scored! I for one am gald that soccer won out over whinging and underhand tactics!
    growler wrote:
    Anyway, Barcelona are a great team, great players with a huge amount of talent so losing to one of the best is acceptable to me.

Just like losing to Liverpool last year;)

The game last night was very poor! But Ronaldinho really performed, and I also thought that Etoo had a decent game! But the thing that stood out was the perofrmance of the ref, he was dire! He gave one penalty that never was, and ignored even more blatant fouls in the box! Players who fouled persistently were not punished while other players were booked for one or two challenges!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Do you watch Chelsea games at all Growler? They set up with two full backs, who rarely, if ever cross the halfway line. Attacking, overlapping? Never. Centre halves don't step out either. Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U all play with overlapping full backs. And Rio likes to step out for Utd.

To supplement this Chelsea have a crab, called Makelele who moves from side to side scraping up in front of the back 4. You then name Robben, Duff, Cole etc. Two of these spend as much time getting back and helping out the defence as going forward. In Duffers case, it's rare that he picks up a ball for Chelsea and attacks full backs, as he used do in his heyday for Ireland. Nowadays, he picks it up, runs forward, meets the defender, turns back, keeps the ball.

Chelsea are a counter attacking team, not an attacking team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

The best team won, was a bit dissapointed at the match though. Far to stop start, due to a free kick anytime someone jumped for a ball or didnt jump for a ball, coughed or adjusted their shorts.

...and what the hell was that penno all about? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

Well, first off it was a huge disappointment of a match. I was hoping for end to end stuff with Chelsea having to go for it and Barca being Barca. The blame for that goes partly to Chelsea partly to the ref, who was an idiot whistling for every little even slightly hard tackle.

Very disappointed with the way Chelsea played, they are better than that. They didn't deserve the goal they did get. Doesn't really matter now as to whether or not it was a penalty at all... Fair play to Barca though, if Liverpool go out tonight, I'll be supporting them, they are the best team in it after all. All these comments about the Premiership being overrated... I don't buy it. Chelsea were up against possibly the best club team in the world; there is no dishonour in losing to them. This anti-Mourinho and anti-Chelsea feeling though (although Jose is making it worse, deliberately, one feels) is a bit ... bandwagoney. All of a sudden, since Chelsea lose, people can come out and hammer Jose and 'Chelski'. Its a tad irritating. They are still a great team who are running away with the Premiership... (and I'm a Liverpool fan).

Jose though, needs to keep his dignity. Thats one thing I used to like about him, he never let anything get to him. And he shat on the other managers who thought they could play mind games. Now though, he seems to be getting too cocky. He needs to have a bit of grace in defeat. Take a leaf out of Benitez's book. That said, he's still a great manager.

On to the Liverpool Benfica game. Its one of those ones (like Olympiakos ... last year?) that could go either way. We'll dominate and have the chances, if we do ourselves any justice, but whether or not we score... its all up in the air. Crouch, Cisse, Morientes... need to get their ass in gear, as most of the country knows. They have the skills... just need to put them in. If its nil all at half time... Liverpool will get edgy. And edgy Liverpool tend to revert to long balls. Which isn't nice.

Ah screw it. Liverpool to win two nil. Crouch and Gerrard. :)

Also... Ronaldinho is a legend. The man in simply amazing... He gave the Premiership a lesson on how to ride a hard challenge, stay on your feet and not go tumbling for a silly penalty and still score...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

C'mon Growler are you taking the same pills as Maureen? They did'nt look like a team that knew it had to score two goals. Playing Lampard in such a withdrawn role with no Gudjonson (until well into the game) spoke of someone who is not quite the tactical genius he is hyped up to be.

Mike.

Well for all the people in here, and this best voice of reason I've heard is NotWormBoy.

What people tend to conviently forget is that Lampard was not fully fit and didn't look it. No it was never a pen for Terry but lets not ignore Ronaldinho and Etoo throwing themselves down at sight of the box!

Also for all the united fans, liverpool fans and arsenal fans. Really goes to show the dept of the premiership doesn't it when the run away leaders are apparently found out and made to look ordinary. The nearest to them may we add are 15points back!

Everyone looks ordinary besides Barca, its just a question of degrees!

Chelsea played much worse then the sum of thier parts last night and indeed often do. Thats not so much the players fault as the managers, in my view.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

moaninho after match looked and sounded like he was snorting coke,snort snort sounds like talking like an ego maniac tends to create this impression,maybe thats why he looks so gaunt and tired lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

iregk wrote:
    Well for all the people in here, and this best voice of reason I've heard is NotWormBoy.

What people tend to conviently forget is that Lampard was not fully fit and didn't look it. No it was never a pen for Terry but lets not ignore Ronaldinho and Etoo throwing themselves down at sight of the box!

Also for all the united fans, liverpool fans and arsenal fans. Really goes to show the dept of the premiership doesn't it when the run away leaders are apparently found out and made to look ordinary. The nearest to them may we add are 15points back!
    So if Lamps was not fully fit, would you not put placing him on the team into the bad management category? Were penalties given for Ron and Etoo? I must have missed them. People are giving out that Mourinho gives out about bad refereeing, yet he then claims moral victory (barca haven't beaten us when it's been 11 v 11) when they get a draw due to....yep, you've guess it - a dodgy refereeing decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Mourinho's arrogance and downright refusal to admit to his own and his teams mistakes/bad behaviour is going to be his downfall if and when Chelsea's megamillions fail to perform on a regular basis.

The fans will only put up with it so long as they're winning.

• Advertisement

Dirkey no I would class the lamps decision as bad management. Who else would have gone in there. Lampard is after all one of the best players in the world, even if he is 70% which he was last night you'd still play him in a game like that!

No pens were not given for the Ron and Etoo decision and rightly so I was just pointing to the fact that everyone was talking about Chelsea players diving. Also im sure you will find that I also said it was never a pen for Terry either! So your point there is invalid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yeah, I remember Ron diving when Terry tried to go through him for a shortcut. Oh no he didn't, he stayed on his feet, brushed off what looked like an attempted assault rather than effort at the ball from Terry and then slotted the ball past Cech.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

iregk wrote:

Chelsea seem well capable while playing in a league based system - their cup record though - when 1 match/leg decides everything - they suddenly seem not so capable. Last night they didn't step up to the occasion.

If there's one thing to be said about Liverpool over these last two seasons its that they can be quite poor in their domestic league but then step up a gear and go and win on the big champion's league nights. They did it last year to Olympiakos and I expect them to do it again to Benfica tonight.

For me I always felt that the other big teams of Premiership always seem to be a much better side in the Champion's league on the night than they are of a saturday afternoon.

(Man U fan btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

Yeah, I remember Ron diving when Terry tried to go through him for a shortcut. Oh no he didn't, he stayed on his feet, brushed off what looked like an attempted assault rather than effort at the ball from Terry and then slotted the ball past Cech.

brushed off what looked like an attempted assault rather than effort at the ball....attempted assult, lol

Yeah similar to the way he collapsed as if someone removed his spinal cord in the first half when nobody was near him. Anyway we could go on tit for tat decisions for and against all match long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i can see the pool getting a 2-0 win with gerrard being the hero
    as for arsenal a very tight 1-0 win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

would like to see liverpool line up like this:

Reina
    ---Finnan--Hyypia--Cara
    Hamann
    Gerrard----Alonso
    Kewell
    Luis Garcia
    Crouch----Fowler

that would really be going for it. but it will probably look like this:

Reina
    Finnan--Hyypia--Cara--Riise
    Hamann
    Gerrard----Alonso----Kewell
    ----Luis Garcia--
    Fowler

Call_me_al wrote:
    would like to see liverpool line up like this:

Reina
    ---Finnan--Hyypia--Cara
    Hamann
    Gerrard----Alonso
    Kewell
    Luis Garcia
    Crouch----Fowler

that would really be going for it. but it will probably look like this:

Reina
    Finnan--Hyypia--Cara--Riise
    Hamann
    Gerrard----Alonso----Kewell
    ----Luis Garcia--
    Fowler

I would be expecting something like

Reina

Finnan--Hyypia--Carragher--Riise

Luis Garcia--Gerrard----Alonso----Kewell

Morientes/Fowler--Crouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

One person I feel really sorry for is the Werder Bremen keeper. Played a stormer all night and then, right at the end... screws it up. Nice shirt though.

I don't know why Fowler is starting for us. He's not up for a full 90 minutes. I'd have him on for the last thirty or so, if we were losing. Otherwise Crouch and Cisse up front for me. Even if neither could score in a brothel.

a quick repost of my ideal formation

Reina
    ---Finnan--Hyypia--Cara
    Hamann
    Gerrard----Alonso
    Riise
    ----Luis Garcia--Kewell
    Crouch

But I suspect 4-4-2 (which a year ago I would have been looking for!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

It's funny how this time last year most people were going on about how great Mourinho was, how he brought a breath of fresh air to the game, etc. Now the majority seem to hate his guts and despise Chelsea as a result.

Personally, I can't stand the **** myself and I was a fanatic Barcelona supporter for 90 mins last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nothing like success to breath contempt among the masses I guess?

Personally I like Mourinho, Chelsea and the way they play. But then I loved the way Greece played in Euro2004 too so what do I know. I'm always a fan of any team that knows what they're about and then goes out on the pitch and does it (irregardless of 'how' they do it). I don't think Chelsea were underperforming in this tie, I think they just came up against a team that on this occasion were simply too good for them. If Mourinho can't accept that then fair enough but irregardless of his viewpoint I still think he has forged a great side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Ardent wrote:
    It's funny how this time last year most people were going on about how great Mourinho was, how he brought a breath of fresh air to the game, etc. Now the majority seem to hate his guts and despise Chelsea as a result.

Personally, I can't stand the **** myself and I was a fanatic Barcelona supporter for 90 mins last night.
    Well I was one of those last season, and he was a breath of fresh air, but he's just turned into a moan now. He should let his performances on the pitch do the talking and be a little bit more gracious in defeat. Hell, it was Barca that beat them FFS!!

Pigman II wrote:
    Nothing like success to breath contempt among the masses I guess?

Personally I like Mourinho, Chelsea and the way they play. But then I loved the way Greece played in Euro2004 too so what do I know.

Christ, are you serious? At the end of the day, football is about entertainment. Kids growing up today don't want to see the likes of Essien and Makele knocking lumps out of other players. They want to see the magic Ronaldinho produced last night.

Call me a big kid, but I hate watching negative, long-ball Chelsea. 5 years of Houllier was almost enough to turn me off football for life.

Ardent wrote:
    Call me a big kid, but I hate watching negative, long-ball Chelsea. 5 years of Houllier was almost enough to turn me off football for life.

Interesting - I would have put old hoo-hoo as a far more adventurous manager than Benitez

TheMonster wrote:
    Interesting - I would have put old hoo-hoo as a far more adventurous manager than Benitez

I don't know how you could have arrived at that assumption.

they scored far more under him than they do now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ardent wrote:

its mostly bitter Liverpool fans that hate him and people who read the english press too much. Interesting it was said on RTE on Sat nite on the Premiership that the media would go to town because he had a bit of a brush with Robson, wat happens over the next few days? also was mentioned this was worst than the time when he fell out with Wenger because in the press's eye Wenger is French so it doesnt matter but Robson was english! its a joke and I see the press at work here

I still like the man and I think he is a great manager, one of the best in the World at the moment and I cant see anyone argue against that? I said at the start of the game they wouldnt win but that was because the strikers he has are not up to standard, they need to buy an Henry or someone to score goals, it was the same last season when they couldnt score against a weaker Liverpool team and went out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

mike65 wrote:
    a quick repost of my ideal formation

Reina
    ---Finnan--Hyypia--Cara
    Hamann
    Gerrard----Alonso
    Riise
    ----Luis Garcia--Kewell
    Crouch

But I suspect 4-4-2 (which a year ago I would have been looking for!)

Mike.
    Do liverpool fans actualy want Kewell to play?

Big Nelly wrote:
    its mostly bitter Liverpool fans that hate him and people who read the english press too much. Interesting it was said on RTE on Sat nite on the Premiership that the media would go to town because he had a bit of a brush with Robson, wat happens over the next few days? also was mentioned this was worst than the time when he fell out with Wenger because in the press's eye Wenger is French so it doesnt matter but Robson was english! its a joke and I see the press at work here

I still like the man and I think he is a great manager, one of the best in the World at the moment and I cant see anyone argue against that? I said at the start of the game they wouldnt win but that was because the strikers he has are not up to standard, they need to buy an Henry or someone to score goals, it was the same last season when they couldnt score against a weaker Liverpool team and went out!

No I find that it is a lot of fans of a lot of different clubs that dislike Chelsea! In particular the actions of the manager and some of the players is what turns people off of them!

Nice I noticed you managed to get a few Liverpool digs in there as well ;) :rolleyes:

What would the champions of europe have to be bitter about :)

Scoring more goals doesn't mean they were more adventurous. Houllier, it could also be argued, had a much superior strike force.

Anyway, back on topic, Chelsea's ultra-defensive approach ensured they didn't have their first real chance on goal until the 61st minute! This despite knowing before the game that they needed to score two goals.

They exited the Champion's League, rightly, and with a whimper. Mourinho is unable to adapt from his defense-first-and-foremost philiosophy. Boring.

• Advertisement

No I find that it is a lot of fans of a lot of different clubs that dislike Chelsea! In particular the actions of the manager and some of the players is what turns people off of them!

Nice I noticed you managed to get a few Liverpool digs in there as well ;) :rolleyes:

What would the champions of europe have to be bitter about :)

Wasnt a dig at Liverpool but at there fans, if you read most of the bad comments they are from Liverpool fans on here. Not one of them have a nice thing to say about Chelsea.

Other was a dig but an observation that the Liverpool team last year wasn't as good as the Chelsea team. End of story. Everyone knows this.

Now I dont support any of the so called "top" teams but a top Club in Shef Wed and I like Mourinho because he brings a bit of humour to the game and he is very entertaining to watch which is what soccer is all about, entertainment.

Ardent wrote:
    Anyway, back on topic, Chelsea's ultra-defensive approach ensured they didn't have their first real chance on goal until the 61st minute! This despite knowing before the game that they needed to score two goals.

They exited the Champion's League, rightly, and with a whimper. Mourinho is unable to adapt from his defense-first-and-foremost philiosophy. Boring.

Liverpool play a very defensive game as well dont they? alot more defensive than Chelsea

I am not sure where you got the defence-first policy? they are one of the top scoring team in the PL, they also dont let in alot of goals but that is because they have one of the best defences in the World. It wasn't a good game last night but that was because the ref wrecked the option of passing the long ball up to Drogba because everytime he headed the ball it was a free, this didnt allow the quick wingers to link up well. Also the header by Drogba in first half was a great chance!!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wasnt a dig at Liverpool but at there fans, if you read most of the bad comments they are from Liverpool fans on here. Not one of them have a nice thing to say about Chelsea.

Other was a dig but an observation that the Liverpool team last year wasn't as good as the Chelsea team. End of story. Everyone knows this.

Maybe a lot of comments here are from Liverpool fans, but from talking to a lot of people who support different teams and from different parts of the world a lrage majority of them don't like Chelsea! Some from a football point of view but most because of the antics and all the other stuff that goes with them!

The Chelsea team certainly is performing better in the league, but in europe they have not scored against Liverpool in 4 games, were knocked out by Liverpool in the semi-finals last year and finished second to Liverpool in the group stages this year!End of story. Everyone knows this.

Big Nelly wrote:
    he is very entertaining to watch which is what soccer is all about, entertainment.
    It's also about sporstmanship. Which is something that Mourinho is starting to show that he lacks.

Big Nelly wrote:
    I am not sure where you got the defence-first policy?
    Are you honestly trying to say that Chelsea are not a "defence first" team?

Chelsea were my second fav team before Maureen!

Ruskie4Rent, yes every Pool fan wants to see Kewell play. Since he regained his fittness and confidence he's proberly been the teams best foward player.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Seriously? He frustrates me more then ronaldo does for ManU, and I support them. Even when, for whatever reason, I want liverpool to lose i can't stand to watch him play. I don't think i'm alone in this, I remember ian wright taking the piss out of him during the FA cup game on BBC. Maybe that was because of the whole Lineker thing.

Its the usual thing, who ever is on top, has one years grace before the hatred kicks in big time. Build em up to knock em down.

United, had no problem with them the first year the won the prem but hated them there after. Always cheered for who ever they were playing against in Europe. Its the way it goes.

Football is cyclical, we are hated and have our moment in the sun but that will end and when it does we will no longer be as hated.

Interesting that a lot of people liked Chelsea (or at least didn't hate them) prior to Jose. This is basically because Raneiri was a lovely bloke but they weren't winning. If Raneiri was still in charge your can bet your ass you'd still be hating Chelsea right now it would only be a different slant on things!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

mike65 wrote:
    Chelsea were my second fav team before Maureen!

Ruskie4Rent, yes every Pool fan wants to see Kewell play. Since he regained his fittness and confidence he's proberly been the teams best foward player.

Mike.
    Kewell is abysmal... end of. He scores one wonder goal and all of a sudden he's back baby. um... don't think so. His possession is poor, he's easily shrugged off the ball and some of his passes are just plain bizarre. Garcia love or hate the guy can produce moments of magic, more so than kewell can.

And as a liverpool fan who also likes chelsea (can it be?!) I can definitely say Liverpool are more defensive than chelsea but liverpool don't have the same class defensively as chelsea bar carragher (and even he's struggling to get in the england team).

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Liverpool play a very defensive game as well dont they? alot more defensive than Chelsea

Personally, I don't think so. I think Liverpool are quite attacking, in a methodical way. Okay, there have been occasions where they have been fairly defensive - e.g., away to Man Utd (yet they still bossed that game) and most recently against Benfica - but I like way Liverpool have been positive with the ball in the majority of games this season. I discinctly remember away to Chelsea this season in the CL and you'd never have thought Chelsea were the home team.
    I am not sure where you got the defence-first policy? they are one of the top scoring team in the PL, they also dont let in alot of goals but that is because they have one of the best defences in the World.

They have one the best defences (and goalkeeper) in the world because of the system Mourinho employs - a rigid back four with Makele parked in front of them. And in front of him, a hard working defensively oriented team. Liam Brady made a good point about Terry recently - he looks world class at Chelsea but he has a lack of pace and be may be exposed at the World Cup in a different system. He was certainly caught out a few times last night.
    It wasn't a good game last night but that was because the ref wrecked the option of passing the long ball up to Drogba because everytime he headed the ball it was a free, this didnt allow the quick wingers to link up well.

So Chelsea didn't play well last night because the referee was too mean to Drogba throughout the game? That's like something Mourinho would say!! :)

Advertisement