Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Second Leg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

liverpool don't have the same class defensively as chelsea bar carragher

Are you sure you're a Liverpool fan? Both teams have conceeded 17 goals.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PiE wrote:
    Mourinho's arrogance and downright refusal to admit to his own and his teams mistakes/bad behaviour is going to be his downfall if and when Chelsea's megamillions fail to perform on a regular basis.

The fans will only put up with it so long as they're winning.

It worked for Fergie many a year.

I don't think i'm alone in this, I remember ian wright taking the piss out of him during the FA cup game on BBC. Maybe that was because of the whole Lineker thing.

Oh, if the footballing god of ian wright said so it must be true!! :rolleyes:

Kewell is one of liverpools best players. Not other opition at left winger. Hes a guranteed starter in a an important match if fit.

He scores one wonder goal and all of a sudden he's back baby. um... don't think so. His possession is poor, he's easily shrugged off the ball and some of his passes are just plain bizarre. .

Ask most pool fans and they will say that description sounds alot closer to garcia then kewell.

I wouldnt say i am a fan of chelsea, but i dont hate them. WOuld prefer to see chelsea win the champions league then barca just for duffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

It worked for Fergie many a year.

It did indeed!
    But there's a difference between Ferguson and Mourinho. Ferguson is a football man, Mourinho is not. I think Mourinho is a good manager at what he does but in my book he'll only be one of the best when Chelsea begin to play & win with style.

What is Style?? Arsenal 49 games unbeaten, United 1999, Real Madrid, The current Barca team. Even Peter Kenyon said that they need to start winning with style.

Ferguson always defended his players and his tactics even when they were crap so in that respect mourinho is the same. Ferguson has never been involved in situations with other managers like Mourinho has. He certainly hasnt created problems such as the Frisk incident last year. There are different levels of arrogance: Ferguson, Henry, Cantona, these are arrogant people but Mourinho brings a new level of arrogance/ignorance to the game. His behaviour on the line against West brom last week was digraceful. They purposely took ages to come out after the bell went and when they scored it was plain to see that he was taunting Robson. Domestically i dont think anyone will touch Chelsea but the way i see it he has 2 or 3 more attempts to win the CL and if fails he'll be moved on by Abramovich. I would say even after last night the contrasting styles of the 2 teams highlighted to Abramovich were Chelsea need to be. With the money behind them they should be stylish, Successful and Gracious all in one. On a european stage they none of these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

word is both Barragan and Anderson are on the bench tonight for liverpool

Really? I'd like to see both getting senior games but I'm not sure tonights the night!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Jimboo_Jones

Big Nelly wrote:
    Now I dont support any of the so called "top" teams but a top Club in Shef Wed and I like Mourinho because he brings a bit of humour to the game and he is very entertaining to watch which is what soccer is all about, entertainment.

As a forest fan I must admit that, for the most part, Mourinho makes me smile. Maybe it is because we support smaller clubs that Chelski, and their re-ordering of the 'old order' doesnt really bother me.

Many of the top european clubs have been bankrolled by presidents, royalty and top business men from time to time, I guess its just chealski's go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Right havent been this looking forward to a football game in years. Hopefully my expectations will be just come 10.00pm. If Real Madrid turn up it could be some game. But I'm gonna stick me neck out and go for an Arsenal win. Time for the auld rallying call

Come on Arsenal!!!!!!!!!

It did indeed!
    But there's a difference between Ferguson and Mourinho. Ferguson is a football man, Mourinho is not. I think Mourinho is a good manager at what he does but in my book he'll only be one of the best when Chelsea begin to play & win with style. .

How is mourinho not a football man? thats complete ****e. YOu cant be a top class manager a not be a "football man". Just because he isnt an attacking manager doesnt mean he isnt a footballing man.
    What is Style?? Arsenal 49 games unbeaten, United 1999, Real Madrid, The current Barca team. Even Peter Kenyon said that they need to start winning with style..[/

49 games unbeaten is great, but how many trophies did they win during that run? Look at them now even. TO win and do it in style is very difficult. Look at where real and madrid are now aswell. Gurantee both those clubs fans would much prefer to play "****" football and win, then attracktive football and win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Roddy23 wrote:
    Right havent been this looking forward to a football game in years. Hopefully my expectations will be just come 10.00pm. If Real Madrid turn up it could be some game. But I'm gonna stick me neck out and go for an Arsenal win. Time for the auld rallying call

Come on Arsenal!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping it'll be cracker of a game. I fancy Arsenal to nick it by a goal.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Gurantee both those clubs fans would much prefer to play "****" football and win, then attracktive football and win.

I'll assume you meant "and lose" at the end there.

If you didn't then eh, no. I'd much rather my team win in style than bore the other team into submission.

As a man u fan - take their win against wigan. It was a good match but a hollow victory - they didn't deserve all three points. The carling cup match was better for a man u fan because they dominated with style and scored 4. They were both wins but its much more enjoyable to see your side play fluid dominating football with players like Ronaldo and Rooney always there to give the fans something to admire - multiply that by 20 and you've got ronaldino and messi doing that week in week out for barca. Chelsea are football by numbers most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

word is both Barragan and Anderson are on the bench tonight for liverpool

barragan on the best might be an indicator that hyypia failed his fitness test : /

would be good to see what this anderson guy has to offer. not the best way to introduce him though

Holy God!

Reina
    Finnan Carragher Traore Warnock
    Garcia Alonso Gerrard Kewell
    Crouch Morientes

Subs: Dudek, Hyypia, Hamann, Cisse, Fowler, Barragan, Anderson

Traore and Warnock is very bad news. We're gonna loose.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

mike65 wrote:
    Reina
    Now they not only have to worry about scoring, but keeping the door shut at the other end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Thats it lads, get right behind the team.

Kick off in under an hour, and while the team selection isn't what we thought it would be, I'm optimistic for a 1-0 win and going to extra time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

It did indeed!
    But there's a difference between Ferguson and Mourinho. Ferguson is a football man, Mourinho is not. I think Mourinho is a good manager at what he does but in my book he'll only be one of the best when Chelsea begin to play & win with style.

What is Style?? Arsenal 49 games unbeaten, United 1999, Real Madrid, The current Barca team. Even Peter Kenyon said that they need to start winning with style.

Chelsea went 40 premiership games unbeaten (til Utd in November) , obviously I know that a team does not achieve true stylishness until they make 41 unbeaten , but damn it , it was sooooo close.

Mourinho isn't a football man ? Of course he is first and foremost concerned with his American Express commitments, but I think most Chelsea fans accept that his Champions League, Premiership, Portuguese league and a carling cup .... were just luck rather than judgement, and that barcelona only had him on the staff to make up the numbers,...... probably.

Personally, I've had many years of watching chelsea play with style and fail, aswell as play ****e and fail, play ****e and win and am now quite happy to watch us play any way at all as long as we get some silverware ,as winning to the best of my knowledge is the aim of the game.

I honestly don't see how setting up differently last night would have helped, if Barca got a goal first then we were screwed, there is time for a "charge of the light brigade" but needing to win at the Nou Camp is not the time, imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

risse injured or something?...

with agger and kronkamp ineligable, traore is the only viable option.

good attacking midfield line-up

fowler on the bench to save him for the last 20 or 30 mins if a goal is needed then.

best line up available really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

49 games unbeaten is great, but how many trophies did they win during that run? Look at them now even. TO win and do it in style is very difficult. Look at where real and madrid are now aswell. Gurantee both those clubs fans would much prefer to play "****" football and win, then attracktive football and win.

i disagree. arsenal a few years ago were twice the side chelsea are now. much more piercing and dangerous.

i dont like this attutude of 'winning at all costs', it's finding it's way down to the roots of the game and stops people from enjoying the sport.

there's nothing wrong with healthy competition but 'winning at all costs' imo, cant be good for the game.

football is supposed to be flowing and attacking. obviously it's not possible all the time but that should be the attitude of all teams and players. you should go out to win every match by the highest possible margin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

mike65 wrote:
    Holy God!

Reina
    Garcia Alonso Gerrard Kewell
    Crouch Morientes

Subs: Dudek, Hyypia, Hamann, Cisse, Fowler, Barragan, Anderson

Traore and Warnock is very bad news. We're gonna loose.

Mike.

very odd selection - our midfield is good but the left side of the defense is shaky and up front is just plain wrong - but lets hope nando comes good tonight - i'm getting very exicetd - tbh i really cant seeing us not scoring but whether we keep them out is another thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Liverpool need a miracle of last years proportions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I see the Freddie Shepard Appreciation Society is meeting in the Sky Sports studio. I'd sure they'd have tales to share with each other!!

The Arsenal v Madrid game has been very entertaining, much better than the first-leg tie. Madrid seem more up for it. There has been some very good chances, both teams guilty for not putting at least one away. Particularly Reyes, who hit the crossbar with all the time in the world. Hard to see which way it will go, but I imagine Arsenal fans would be relatively happy, if not just a tad concerned with how open the game is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i have to disagree. i think arsenal have been having more of the ball and are the more comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Il grande Milan! 4-1 now. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Congratulations to Arsenal, great game for them, unfortunatley the only English team left. They did a good job tonight to hold on for the win , Lehmann impressed so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

That has to be one of the best nil-nil's ever... as a neutral watching that... cracking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

HURRAH!!!!!!

though Pires almost made my heart stop near the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I said it months ago and I'll say it again now:Arsenal to win it

• Advertisement

Definately damo, Arsenal's performance was immense hopefully they can get someone like lyon, but I think we will end up seeing Juve play them. I am neutral in this champions league since Man U went, and I have to say the two teams that have impressed the most are Barcelona and Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Willem D wrote:
    Definately damo, Arsenal's performance was immense hopefully they can get someone like lyon, but I think we will end up seeing Juve play them. I am neutral in this champions league since Man U went, and I have to say the two teams that have impressed the most are Barcelona and Arsenal.

Hoefully you'll get Lyon??? Lyon would be my fancy to win the thing out...you mustn't be following the rest of this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Go on Arsenal! Never thought I'd see the day when we'd be the only English team left. Makes a pleasant change from being first out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Juventus
    Barcelona
    Villareal
    Inter/Ajax
    Milan
    Benfica
    Arsenal
    Lyon

Not a bad final eight for this years competition. As a Milan fan, I wouldn't mind a crack at Villareal or Benfica. Juventus and the winners of Inter vs Ajax are beatable. Juve are not incredibly strong in Europe this year, Inter are enduring a poor patch of form lately and I don't fancy Ajax to qualify any further tbh.

Aresnal would be a very tough tie and perhaps a team best avoided. The future looks bright for them. Hopefully Milan will be kept away from Barca and Lyon until the semi finals at least.

fade2black wrote:
    Hoefully you'll get Lyon??? Lyon would be my fancy to win the thing out...you mustn't be following the rest of this tournament.
    I suppose but I certainly wouldnt like to see Arsenal play any other teams in the next round. Altho if Ajax get thru just maybe , an Arsenal /Ajax would be ideal.

I'm suporting Lyon from now on!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well done to Le Arse. Excellent preformance over the two legs.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:
    I'm suporting Lyon from now on!

Mike.

I hope you were not one of the many pool fans that was calling for Gerard Houlier's head when he was incharge at Anfield. Now that would be hypocritical

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i have to disagree. i think arsenal have been having more of the ball and are the more comfortable
    Sorry, I meant more up for it than they were in the last leg, not more up for it than Arsenal.

Thoroughly entertaining game, probably the best 0-0 I've seen anyway. I honestly don't know how a goal didn't go in, there were some amazing chances. Raul was really unlucky to see the ball come back out off the post. I thought he wasted the rebound but on the replay you could see it was an excellent save by Lehmann. Madrid put Arsenal under a good bit of pressure for about 10-15 minutes about half-way through the second half, but Arsenal composed themselves well and regained their share of possession. Don't even think Madrid had a formation for the last 10 minutes, the ball was just hoofed up into Arsenal's box, and with Cassano, Robinho and Baptista all on (with Ronaldo, don't know how he stayed on) there was a bit of a melee at times.
    Arsenal definately deserved to go through over the two legs, although if Madrid made a game of it as much in the first leg as they did tonight, might have been a bit different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Well done to Arsenal. It was a brilliant match to watch. End to end stuff. (The special one take note on how football should be played!)

Henry was fantastic and Helb was very good altough again his passing lets him down. Arsenal need to get more clinical if they are to go on to win it, but they have a chance now as with most teams left in it. Benfica or Villareal for me. Id be wary of Juve, Milan. Milan especially but i think god has it in his plans for Juve and Arsenal to meet.

Barca wouldnt really bother me as they both play the same type of game, but id prefer to play them in the final.

Arsenal need Van Persie back ASAP and cole too would be nice :). They still have a good few players injured.

Well done to the young guns, Eboube, Cesc, Senderous, Flamini et al

Reyes will never be a natural goal scorer, could have had a hat trick tonight!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

as i predicted tbh. I knew Arsenal would beat Real Madrid and I knew they would be the only british side left. Pity im not a gambling man.

and HAHA to the liverpool fans who were like "oh we'll do what united couldnt do and beat benfica" ... get some strikers first!!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

hey who do u support, liverpool were unlucky, liverpool are a better team than man united,

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

smemon wrote:
    i disagree. arsenal a few years ago were twice the side chelsea are now. much more piercing and dangerous.
    Shame we never heard any of this when Arsenal were actually good!
    Willem D wrote:
    Congratulations to Arsenal, great game for them, unfortunatley the only English team left. They did a good job tonight to hold on for the win , Lehmann impressed so much.
    Hey everyone, check this post! Lehmann had a good game! He hasn't done that many times over the past year!

... Anyway. What a great night. I spent the first 10 mins of the match standing outside Highbury, trying to get tickets. Couldn't even get the privilege of a ticket for £150. I tells ya though, the sight of the south stand and the enormous volume coming from it.. sent shivers down my spine. Ended up in the Auld Triangle, along with a lot of Arsenal fans and a few madristas. Lost my voice. Lots of singing, lots of groans and a few deep intakes. But the job was done, and it was fantastic. We beat Real Madrid. Woot!

"There's only one team in Europe..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

3 nil over two legs is unlucky then,plus utd are higher in the league with a game in hand,
    like to see arsenal progress,probably because they are the only english team left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

I support Liverpool, the team just didnt show up tonight to be fair. As Dunphy pointed out, Benitez knew it too! Never seen him off the bench to yell orders once. Well done to Benfica although it seems the southern Europeans will never grow out of play acting...Im not using that as an excuse btw! :) For those of you who cant remember it was when the Benfica goalie got a knock by Crouch going up for a high ball and it seemed he was on deaths door the way he reacted. Gripped the wrong part of his face....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

county wrote:
    3 nil over two legs is unlucky then,plus utd are higher in the league with a game in hand,
    like to see arsenal progress,probably because they are the only english team left

Not unlucky. 1-0 is unlucky. 3-0 is "time for a striker". But hey, 3-0 in the second round is infinitely better than knocked out in the first round. How's the FA Cup going similarly? The season hasn't been ideal for Liverpool or United - but to portray that United are doing better than Liverpool overall is just a falsehood really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

NoelRock wrote:
    Not unlucky. 1-0 is unlucky. 3-0 is "time for a striker". But hey, 3-0 in the second round is infinitely better than knocked out in the first round. How's the FA Cup going similarly? The season hasn't been ideal for Liverpool or United - but to portray that United are doing better than Liverpool overall is just a falsehood really.

well we have won a cup,one more than the pool will this season imo,and the league doesnt lie,so in short,utd are doing better than liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Liverpool are not a better team than man utd. they got lucky last year in the champions league and it was gonna happen this year. where's the goals? back about 6 years ago when fowler could score.

the defence is good dont get me wrong but a good team has to be able to score and they arent able to do that. they have no class either. Gerrard is a great player and Alonso is great too but take them away you have nothing at all. crouch is over rated to the highest degree. Morientes is passed it. fowler the same. Cisse..... god i dont even know what to think. he has the ability to be great but wastes so much. like those balls he was puttin in from the right tonight. Luis garcia.... waste of space but still seems to be the only one who can score. now that says somethin for liverpools other strikers. Oh wow you won the champions league luckily... lets see who has won the league the most in the last 15 years shall we?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

marky4 wrote:
    hey who do u support, liverpool were unlucky, liverpool are a better team than man united,

:D You serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Terribly serious. Another game that Liverpool dominated but with nothing to show from it. Bloody disgraceful finishing. Could/should have been 3 or 4 nil up by half time.

I may be going against the grain here but I wouldn't be sorry to see Alonso going (for a major profit) along with the majority of the forward line. At least we can focus on taking 2nd place from Utd now ;/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Go on the Gunners. Delighted we're through. one pt of worry though, with 5minsleft they tried to run the game down, and it nearly cost us when Bobby gave the ball away outside the box. Don't like seeing this from Arsenal, when they go off into the corner. How close we were coming to scoring and all, would have been a lot better had we tried to score, then run down the clock, when every time, they'd get the ball back anyway.

Still, what a night. Brilliant stuff from the Arsenal, and now hopefully we can avoid the big guns in the next round, till at least we get a few players back :D:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement