Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB: 6 weeks bad only 2 more weeks to wait now.

• 06-03-2006 10:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Ive had packet loss with these muppets for 6 weeks now. Ive had loads of problems with them over the last year or so and every time it takes them 2 months to sort out. So by that record i think I have only 2 weeks to wait. Concidentlly onece it gets sorted it stays good for about 2 months. Seems like they are moving their problems around their network and know it but wont admit it.

After 4 weeks of phone calls and jumping through hoops for them doing ping tests and trace route I get an the below email from second line support no less.....

"""""" Hi Mr. Kelly,
    I have examined your connection and see you are downloading and
    uploading quite a bit. If you are playing games at the same time,
    depending on what applications you are using, this may cause high
    latency and even packet loss due to this latency. what I would do is run you torrents around your gaming time if this is happening. If the problem still persists, please don't hesitate to call us on the
    number below and we will investigate. """""

Now that is genious from second line, dont they think I dont know ya cant download while gaming I have BB over a year and know that much.
    IBB are still a vocation for the damed it seems. Im getting away from then even if it gets fixed tomorrow, as I will only get 2 more months in the sun.

BTW below are my trace route to the boards.ie BF2 server and the results of 100 pings to said server.

Ping statistics for 82.195.136.136:
    Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 97, Lost = 3 (3% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 16ms, Maximum = 115ms, Average = 39ms

Im getting 3% packet loss to an irish server and the trace route seems to suggest that the problem is with in their network. Their network is screwed.

Tracing route to 82.195.136.136 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 18 ms 12 ms 9 ms DN18-fe-0-0-1-160-atrium.irishbroadband.ie [83.1
    41.64.65]
    2 21 ms 18 ms 20 ms DN40-fe-0-0-1-11-ballycoolin.irishbroadband.ie [
    87.192.233.125]
    3 13 ms 20 ms 22 ms DN04-fe-1-3-0-352-guinness.irishbroadband.ie [83
    .141.117.185]
    4 19 ms 39 ms 22 ms DN42-as0-0-ibis-access.irishbroadband.ie [62.231
    .52.153]
    5 * 25 ms 25 ms DN42-ge-0-2-0-50-ibis-gw.irishbroadband.ie [62.2
    31.52.157]
    6 15 ms 21 ms 16 ms panama-inex.hosting365.ie [193.242.111.87]
    7 36 ms 34 ms 33 ms corerouter1.hosting365.ie [82.195.128.7]
    8 20 ms 23 ms 22 ms 82.195.136.136

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

oh well such is life....

Would you belive i actually got a call from IBB today to arrange for them to come out and troubleshoot my connection as they could not even telnet to it the last time.

Wonders will never cease...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well since I sent a mail on monday and posted this on boards monday evening, tuesday morning my connection died altogether and still has not come back. Im having to post this from another location other than home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Well since I sent a mail on monday and posted this on boards monday evening, tuesday morning my connection died altogether and still has not come back. Im having to post this from another location other than home.

completely ? jasus spooky thats bad !! no idea when you will be back up ? have they not given you a reason?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'm getting pretty much the same problems as you on the Park House mast since last week spooky donkey... I have a ticket open since last Friday but I've heard nothing back. Rang them yesterday but the guy I spoke to on Friday was out of office so they couldn't help me... For some reason I have to wait for him to be back in the office to get an update...
    I just don't give a cr@p anymore... Just waiting for SMART to upgrade Cabra Exchange. IBB just doesn't work...

Met a guy in here today and told me somthing I can do that has worked for him with IBB. He rang his bank and put a freeze on his DD to them till it got fixed. I did not know this could be done with out canceling the DD and going through all the hassell to get the DD back up and running, so I may try this have nothing to loose at this point as im out of contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Go for it spooky donkey! And good luck! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

Ask them for a credit for any month that the service was demonstrably below standard. e.g. speeds less than the contention ratio.

It's almost impossible for them to argue against this. they will however try to fob you off by saying that they will get the connection fixed first, then sort out the refund after (hoping you will forget etc...)
    The other strategy is that the calltaker will say that they will send it for management approval, but mysteriously this doesn't happen.

Get their name and keep a log of calls to IBB.
    Call back frequently to get updates on the status of the action.
    Don't give up till you get what you want.

If you've got several free months and still the service isnt good enough, ask for all of your money back (including the install fee) and an immediate deinstall (even if still within contract). After all, the free periods are pretty good evidence that the service wasn't working, should you decide to take them to court.

In order for you to have a change of succeeding in this you need to let the management know who you are and that you won't go away till you get what you want. They are weak and would really rather not have to deal with you. All you have to figure is how to get past their lines of defence which are the calltakers and the VRU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

Met a guy in here today and told me somthing I can do that has worked for him with IBB. He rang his bank and put a freeze on his DD to them till it got fixed. I did not know this could be done with out canceling the DD and going through all the hassell to get the DD back up and running, so I may try this have nothing to loose at this point as im out of contract.
    Yeah I did this too, sort of. I rang IBB in September to cancel cos I'd had enough. That "connection" broke my heart way too many times. I didn't care there was no alternative. No internet was better than faux internet.
    Anyway, I rang up to cancel. Your one on the phone couldn't understand that I was cancelling. It just didn't twig with her (foreign). Eventually she said something about a courier picking up the unit. I said grand, whatever.
    Haven't heard from them since. I cancelled the direct debit straight away. I still have the unit, AND they are still sending me those online invoices.....
    I'm not wasting money ringing them again to double cancel. Wasted enough of my gaddamn time already.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

Just had ibb rep. engineers out.

Seems my dish/radio was fu*cked.

We shall see how long this one lasts.

Mine is also good today as well.

It is true they have promised me refunds and never got them. I have my calls loged I must persue that one further.

• Advertisement

BTW I just thought I would point out that things seem to be improving for me. Getting good speeds and only got disconected 3 times from servers last night. Lets hope this is a sign they are improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wavin

chamlis wrote:
    Yeah I did this too, sort of. I rang IBB in September to cancel cos I'd had enough. That "connection" broke my heart way too many times. I didn't care there was no alternative. No internet was better than faux internet.
    Anyway, I rang up to cancel. Your one on the phone couldn't understand that I was cancelling. It just didn't twig with her (foreign). Eventually she said something about a courier picking up the unit. I said grand, whatever.
    Haven't heard from them since. I cancelled the direct debit straight away. I still have the unit, AND they are still sending me those online invoices.....
    I'm not wasting money ringing them again to double cancel. Wasted enough of my gaddamn time already.:mad:
    did they pick up the equipment?

ive did a similar thing ~3months ago and they never picked up their stuff. and didnt stop my connection until a week or 2 ago either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

They collected the stuff about two weeks after I cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

No word at all from any of them. It's ripwave I have. In another county now and I still have the unit. And like I said, they're still sending me the email invoices....

I've been out of coverage since I cancelled anyway, so I don't know if it still works or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

wavin wrote:
    did they pick up the equipment?

ive did a similar thing ~3months ago and they never picked up their stuff. and didnt stop my connection until a week or 2 ago either

canceled mine 14 months ago and the stuff is still on me house !!

Advertisement