Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

scop wrote:
    Whats the thesis, this is Paul's new account, you dont even want to know why I had to change :D

Same boat, thesis mid August, so I guess moping in the library all day.
    pending actually getting to discuss things with a supervisor, it's about illness in paul auster's post-2000 novels. i was talking to peter about it earlier going 'oh my head, such complicatedness and self-referentiality and millions of layers of reality' and he laughed at me and said 'you didn't do your postmodern lit essay on paul auster... i did.. which is why there's no way in hell i'd do a thesis on him!'
    how's your proposal shaping up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

rain on wrote:
    pending actually getting to discuss things with a supervisor, it's about illness in paul auster's post-2000 novels. i was talking to peter about it earlier going 'oh my head, such complicatedness and self-referentiality and millions of layers of reality' and he laughed at me and said 'you didn't do your postmodern lit essay on paul auster... i did.. which is why there's no way in hell i'd do a thesis on him!'
    how's your proposal shaping up?

Grand, Im mostly just listening to the Specials at this stage and reading over it for spelling and grammar etc. 'Tis about an Anglo-Indian poet named Laurence Hope and the decadents and then goes all serious and boring :D

Oh Auster, I wouldnt go near him with his twists and whatnot though my best result was the po-mo English essay but thats because I put enough complicated sentences in to convince anybody reading it I was some kind of prophet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

the thing about his twists and stuff though is that after a while they become totally predictable.. it's like "oh look.. another freak occurrence... oh look, he put another extra narrator in at the end and totally fecked with the reality of the text.. well whaddayaknow.. another random edgar allan poe reference... yawn.." his efforts to be edgy and unpredictable are really predictable :D which is partly why he's interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

rain on wrote:
    the thing about his twists and stuff though is that after a while they become totally predictable.. it's like "oh look.. another freak occurrence... oh look, he put another extra narrator in at the end and totally fecked with the reality of the text.. well whaddayaknow.. another random edgar allan poe reference... yawn.." his efforts to be edgy and unpredictable are really predictable :D which is partly why he's interesting.

Ha, from that tape she played for us I get the feeling he is bemused anybody reads his books at all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

i'm torn between California and interailing. i already did the canada thing so I think maybe interailing but how can you be sure!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Let me know if you want any Cali tips!

God I miss natty ice.

Advertisement