Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport €5 tax

Options
  • 06-03-2006 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the deal with having to pay €5 in cash to fly from the airport? What excatly is this fee for? Why is this not included in the flights cost at the time of booking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

It is not a tax as per say.. It is a development levy that goes towards funding the expansion of the airport for everyones benefit. If only central government gave more money then this would not be the case.

Like everthing else in Waterford.. if we want something then we must pay for it ourselves or do without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

But why charge for it at check in when it could be collected at time of purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Bond-007 wrote:
    But why charge for it at check in when it could be collected at time of purchase?

Probably because they don't want it to be seen as part of the ticket price. Is it compulsory?

Incidentally, not all airports put their charges in the ticket price. Bangkok for example. You'd have some crack trying to get home if you turned up to that airport with no cash and the ATM was broken! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

There is an airport tax in all aiports in Ireland,thats why when ryan air had the 1 cent flights or somthing like that you still had to pay something like €45 to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

that is a totally seperate thing

• Advertisement

merlante wrote:
    Probably because they don't want it to be seen as part of the ticket price. Is it compulsory?

Incidentally, not all airports put their charges in the ticket price. Bangkok for example. You'd have some crack trying to get home if you turned up to that airport with no cash and the ATM was broken! :eek:
    Yes, It is compulsory. You can't check in without paying. Its not mentioned when booking or on the airports website. It is really sneaky. As the airport has no atm this could prove embarrassing if one had no cash on them. I would not have a problem if this cost was in the original ticket price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

They should be trying to encourage more people to use the airport and not be imposing stealth taxes on people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

You only know about it as soon as you walk through the doors and there's a 4 foot sign saying that you pay the levy. I thought one of the lads was taking the mick when he said to bring a fiver with me or else I wont go over. Lucky I had it with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Its a sneaky charge as said elsewhere.
    They have a sign up on the check in desk concerning it but it has to be paid per each adult check in.
    On a side issue when did the parking out there increase from 2 Euro a day to the current 6 Euro?

From a little research I have found out that Kerry airport in Farranfore has a €6 fee which is included in the ticket price.http://www.kerryairport.ie/airportfacilites/index.htm
    Knock has a €10 separate fee and they are brazen enough to mention it on their website. http://www.knockairport.com/content.asp?id=55
    I note the following veiled threat:
    Q. What happens if I do not pay the Development Fee?

A. The Airport reserves the right to refuse to handle any passenger unless he/she has paid the Fee.
    On a side issue when did the parking out there increase from 2 Euro a day to the current 6 Euro?

I don't know, but Galway airport is €10 a day! :eek:http://www.galwayairport.com/facilities.asp
    Kerry is €5 a day. Even Dublin airport is only €5 a day in the private car park.
    Waterford is certainly expensive at €6 a day, but we know that the charge can be very easily avoided with a little cheek and a brass neck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Bond-007 wrote:
    Waterford is certainly expensive at €6 a day, but we know that the charge can be very easily avoided with a little cheek and a brass neck! :D

It's only €6 per day.. remember the money gets pumped back into the airport to improve the facilities. there are less than 100,000 passengers per anum that use the airport. if everyone uses a car which i doubt very much than that is only €600,000

not very much in the big scheme of things when buildings,salaries,insurance etc costs so much.. If you avoid paying, by driving over the grass verge as you insinuate instead of driving through the barrier and paying then you are robbing us all here in the south-east of further facilities

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Bond - The Galway Airport price you posted was €10 a day in the short stay compare that to €30 a day in the short stay car park in Dublin.

Also the times I've used it this season flying over I've seen countless people in jeeps which are fairly new to drive over the kerb to avoid paying the parking fees.

Advertisement