Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CSS Hacks

• 06-03-2006 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

So people where do you find your hacks?

I have trawled through loads of css files and I have seen loads of hacks - and yet I can never find an explanation for any of them

For example, so of the strange markups I have see are:

|margin
    mar\gin
    !important

And so on.
    So does anyone know where I can read up on the above or in fact a good central repository for such hacks, etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ph3n0m wrote:
    So people where do you find your hacks?

I have trawled through loads of css files and I have seen loads of hacks - and yet I can never find an explanation for any of them
    The CSS Anthology - 101 Essential Tips, Tricks & Hacks. (A fairly good book with explanations.) Also the Wrox book:
    CSS - Cascading Style Sheets for Web Design.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

I think the main one is PositionIsEverything. If you see odd mark-up in a CSS file, often searching Google with the exact hack will throw up what the hack is. I found an explanation of what the mar\gin hack is.

Just as a FYI, !important is not a hack in itself, it applies the rule that is associated with !important regardless of whether the style has been changed later on in the CSS document or not.

Take the example below. Not knowing what !important did, you would expect the border on the box to be red, but it is in fact black.
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>Test</title>
    <style type="text/css">
    <!--
    .box {
    	border: 1px solid #000 !important;
    	border: 1px solid #c00;
    }
    -->
    </style>
    </head>