Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking & Clamping in UCD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I have an interview in UCD tomorrow, what's the story with parking? Is it permit only? :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

eth0_ wrote:
    I have an interview in UCD tomorrow, what's the story with parking? Is it permit only? :-/

Nope, it's actually a free for all, but good luck finding a space. If you're in after lunch, you should be fine given that it's Friday and people tend to leave earlier on Fridays. If you're in the morning, get here early. Also, depending on what part of campus you're heading to you might want to bear in mind that the gates around campus close in the morning and evening to prevent traffic coming through from fosters ave to clonskeagh etc. Best of luck in the interview!

Sorry for dragging this up but I didn't think my question deserved a whole new thread.

Can someone tell me what the craic is with parking at the RDS for exams? i.e. can I? will it cost me and does it fill up like this place so should I get there early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

elmyra wrote:
    Sorry for dragging this up but I didn't think my question deserved a whole new thread.

Can someone tell me what the craic is with parking at the RDS for exams? i.e. can I? will it cost me and does it fill up like this place so should I get there early?

From what I remember cars just drove and parked in last year

but maybe I'm wrong. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

yep tis free, but its just big open gravelly spaces usually plenty of room from what i can remember, didnt do mine there last year!

• Advertisement

Thanks both, sounds good, now all I have to do is negotiate the scary dualler in rush hour *scared learner driver whimper*

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hang on...the poxy gravelled space opposite Quinn, behind the bus shelters, that's pay and display? There are *no* signs! And there's no ticket machine near it either.

Are you sure that's pay and display?

The car park opposite the bus stops (well, the number 10 terminus), I think one half of it is pay and display and the other half isn't.

God..it's not exactly rocket science to properly signpost your car parks, especially considering they have an outside company who looks after parking here!

I'm afraid to drive to into work now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Hey Elmyra

Parking is insane at the RDS. At crimbo the car parks filled up hours before the exams start and that was just the first years. And if your exam is in the after noon forget about it. My tactic is to get there very very very early and cram. If you dont manage to get a space then you going to be relegated out to Ballsbridge and Pay a bomb.

Aw no way! All but two of mine are afternoon. Would I be better leaving the car in UCD, grabbing a 10 and walking? That sounds like a nightmare. I mean, when you say go really early, would I be okay if I went at like half twelve when the first exam is over so I'd get a space with people leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

yeah you could do that . But just to warn you it can be a bit crazy out there. You know the entrance is right across from the four seasons? I ended up all over the place last time

• Advertisement

the xmas exams werent held in the same part of the rds as the summer ones are because the summer ones are held where funderland is at xmas. theres always been loads of parking at summer, never heard of anyone having trouble

Confused now lads! I know where simmonscourt is, I had my exams there last year, just wasn't driving at the time. Were they not there at Christmas and if not should I be ok for parking there? Oh, and it is the same entrance for cars as in the same place where everyone walks in yeah?

id assume summer exams are held where they always are...but getting confused now too!
    all i know is where the summer exams are theres usually plenty of parkin as ive always driven. as the xmas exams were just first years or less numbers than summer they were held in different part of RDS because funderland was on. and i dont know names of what they are, yea im useless sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

elmyra wrote:
    Aw no way! All but two of mine are afternoon. Would I be better leaving the car in UCD, grabbing a 10 and walking? That sounds like a nightmare. I mean, when you say go really early, would I be okay if I went at like half twelve when the first exam is over so I'd get a space with people leaving?
    100% to all of the above. If you need to drive then get there at 12:30 to nab the spaces being vacated, but it's not all that terrible a walk from Donnybrook (or even UCD itself! :eek:) to the RDS.

100% to all of the above. If you need to drive then get there at 12:30 to nab the spaces being vacated, but it's not all that terrible a walk from Donnybrook (or even UCD itself! :eek:) to the RDS.

Yup I know the walk's not bad I did it last year but I have a nasty bit of a knee problem (which I've neglected to inform the college of) which means I'd rather drive if at all possible. Guess I'll be getting there early so. Thanks everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

elmyra wrote:
    Yup I know the walk's not bad I did it last year but I have a nasty bit of a knee problem (which I've neglected to inform the college of) which means I'd rather drive if at all possible. Guess I'll be getting there early so. Thanks everyone!

Don't worry about parking at Ballsbridge for the Summer exams, I drove there as a first year last year to each exam (and the exam hall was full at the time too) and there was LOTS of space to spare. And parking is free.

Note, if you're coming down the Stillorgan dueller, you turn right at the Donnybrook bus garage and just drive up Simmonscourt road. The entrance is on your right around halfway up. Be advised that the lights which allow people to cross the dueller at the garage are very quick and only let a few people across at a time. With the extra volume of traffic turining there for the exams, you could ba waiting 20 minutes in rush hour for your turn to go. So budget LOTS of extra time.:eek:

Or do what I did, drive in the bus lanes :D

Don't worry about parking at Ballsbridge for the Summer exams, I drove there as a first year last year to each exam (and the exam hall was full at the time too) and there was LOTS of space to spare. And parking is free.

Note, if you're coming down the Stillorgan dueller, you turn right at the Donnybrook bus garage and just drive up Simmonscourt road. The entrance is on your right around halfway up. Be advised that the lights which allow people to cross the dueller at the garage are very quick and only let a few people across at a time. With the extra volume of traffic turining there for the exams, you could ba waiting 20 minutes in rush hour for your turn to go. So budget LOTS of extra time.:eek:

Or do what I did, drive in the bus lanes :D

Thanks for that, I knew how to get to it but didn't realise that about the turning lane on the dualler, i'll leave myself a good bit of time.

Advertisement