Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on proposed set up

Options
  • 07-03-2006 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

ATM I have a nice simple network, BB from esat to xyzel router via ethernet to my computer. However now my son wants to connect his PS2 and PSP to the net. So here's what I plan.

A ethernet hub, one connection for my computer, one for PS2, one for Xyzel and one for some sort of wireless connection.

Sounds simple what could possibly go wrong? Apart from a bit of pot luck needed when buying the kit!
    As for setting it up, as long as I can click "automatically detect settings" I should be ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Is there a question in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

ntlbell wrote:
    Is there a question in there?

Sorry I should have worded it better. It was past my bedtime. I'm looking for comments/advice, will this set up work? should I be going for something else altogether?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Why not just buy a wireless router with built in BB modem and a 4 port switch? There cheap as chips these days. I've one from linksys (Don't know the model off the top of my head) that would suit all your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

LoGiE wrote:
    Why not just buy a wireless router with built in BB modem and a 4 port switch? There cheap as chips these days. I've one from linksys (Don't know the model off the top of my head) that would suit all your needs.

I had thought of going completely wireless but then I will need to get wireless receivers for the PC and PS2.
    Or do you mean a wireless modem/router that can also be connected via ethernet cables?

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've checked the model i have here and it's a Linksys WAG54G V.2
    There will probably be an udated version by now but it's rock solid. It's a 4 port switch and wirless AP all in one. It has a builtin ADSL 2 Modem just for good measure. So basically plug your ethernat gear straight into the switch and then let the PSP / Laptop connect using wireless (I have a PSP and do this)

• Advertisement
Advertisement