Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote Desktop Connection

Options
  • 07-03-2006 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Ive just got wireless broadband in with Permanet, my friend also go the same service.
    What i was wondering is if one could do a remote desktop using the windows application, or VNC etc.
    I have tried pinging his machine when he's online but it will not find it.

Could anyone give me advice on this one....

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If either of you have any sense you'd have firewalls on. that would stop pings and other traffice unless you configured them to allow them. Also the wireless BB may go through a box that NAT's which also acts as a firewall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

remote desktop requires port 3389 is open at the answering end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

You'll need to open ports for both of these services (3389 and 5900 (i think)). You'll also need to open up ICMP packets to get a ping out/in. If you will be connecting often you should look into some freeware VPN software and then just open the VPN protocols (IPSEC, PPTP etc) as required.

Advertisement