Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions please

• 07-03-2006 8:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My ex-boyfriend (of 4 years) borrowed 900 Euro from my father for his car insurance (about 2 months before we broke up), problem is he won't pay it back. My father gave it to him in good faith as he was like part of the family. There is no evidence that he borrowed it so my father can't legally do anything about it. Since we broke up the creep has suddenly become flush with cash as he has gone on holiday and joined an exclusive golf club, however when I have tried to contact him regarding paying my father back he keeps saying 'I don't have money right now!' I've become so frustrated because my father had to take a loan out of the credit union to help my boyfriend out. We parted on good terms and so this whole episode feels like a betrayal of trust, he shows no sign of honour or integrity to a family that welcomed him and treated him very well. In fact he even said on many occasions that my family were more supportive of him than his own!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to recover this money? I just hate the idea of my father having to pay back this loan for this utterly selfish individual who has no sense of decency. There is no legal route ... but perhaps a different approach or method might be in order. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭BadAcidStudios

why is there no legal route. "verbal contract"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Consult a solicitor. Sometimes a stern leagal letter threatening action can jar things loose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Ask him in front of his buddies in that exclusive golf club. Don't make a scene, just go up and hand him a letter and say 'I've been asking you for 3 months to repay my father the €900 you borrowed from him when you were broke and we were going out together. If you keep refusing I'll take you to court for it.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Peace wrote:
    Consult a solicitor. Sometimes a stern leagal letter threatening action can jar things loose.

Agreed, I would try that first.....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

peckerhead wrote:
    Ask him in front of his buddies in that exclusive golf club. Don't make a scene, just go up and hand him a letter and say 'I've been asking you for 3 months to repay my father the €900 you borrowed from him when you were broke and we were going out together. If you keep refusing I'll take you to court for it.'

Now that's just good. Try it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

peckerhead wrote:

what he said.... far cheaper than a solicitor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

peckerhead wrote:

I think making a fool out of him publicly will only serve to strengthen his resolve that your father will never see his money again as punishment for making him feel stupid.....was it paid by cheque or DD into your ex's account? If so, you have proof of the money changing hands.....harranging him by hanging around his golf club will not do you any favours if it does wind up in court.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭killswitch

just get the heavies around ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭kellxor.1337

I'd say send a few troops around to him and rough him up, lol"i'd do it if ya wanted lol"

I'd stick to a letter, Threatening legal action, Best way for it, And as Ickle said, If it was paid by cheque or DD, bank giro ETC you have the proof, The gold club thing sounds good aswell, but again as the boardies said he might take it the wrong way,

Personnaly i'd go with beating the crap out of him, But hey, Thats just me, any1 with no respect for sum1 who helped them out of a tight spot deserves a good hiding

Kellxor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Suggesting or advocating the use of threathing behaviour and/or volience to resolve an issue is a banning offense in this forum.

This is the only warning that will be given on this in this thread as you should have all read the Charter and the rules for posting in this forum.

Kellxor.1337 is banned from here for a week.
    Killswitch this is your first warning.

Thaedydal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

take him to the small claims court. you don't need a solicitor so its very cheap to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

only one person can help you now: judge judy!!

get a solicitors letter threatening legal action. even if you have no intention of going down the route, it may be enough to scare him into coughing up.

small claims court may not work as there is no written agreement and considering the complications arising from being former lovers. again though, the threat may be enough.

look into it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Devina wrote:
    My ex-boyfriend (of 4 years) borrowed 900 Euro from my father for his car insurance (about 2 months before we broke up), problem is he won't pay it back. My father gave it to him in good faith as he was like part of the family. There is no evidence that he borrowed it so my father can't legally do anything about it. Since we broke up the creep has suddenly become flush with cash as he has gone on holiday and joined an exclusive golf club, however when I have tried to contact him regarding paying my father back he keeps saying 'I don't have money right now!' I've become so frustrated because my father had to take a loan out of the credit union to help my boyfriend out. We parted on good terms and so this whole episode feels like a betrayal of trust, he shows no sign of honour or integrity to a family that welcomed him and treated him very well. In fact he even said on many occasions that my family were more supportive of him than his own!

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to recover this money? I just hate the idea of my father having to pay back this loan for this utterly selfish individual who has no sense of decency. There is no legal route ... but perhaps a different approach or method might be in order. Any suggestions?
    what an utter wánker!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,528 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Your father should speak to him directly.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Step1: Gather up evidence, such as how the money changed hands. Also, dates, etc (of Step 2). Also, any verbal agreement on when the money would be paid back.

Step2: If the money changed hands, when you were together, did he put the money into the account the same day that your father gave it to him, and if he paid by cheque, find out if you get proof that the cheque was lodged into his account.

Step 3: Get a solictor. Get solictor to write letter to the creep, asking why the creep hasn't paid on of the money back.

Step4: Do you know did he have much money at the time of the breakup? Does his job pay well? Can you prove that the cash windfall he got (paying for holiday, goldclub membership, etc) was directly related to the €900 he got from your father?

=-=

Note about heavies, embarresment, etc: if you goto court, it'll be flung back in your face, that your trying to extort money off him/etc. Do it the legal route, or you WILL loose all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks guys and gals for the replies. Some very good advice there. Unfortunately my dad lodged the cheque into his own account and then gave the creep cash. I can prove that my dad lodged the sum of money but not that my ex used it to pay his insurance - I don't have access to his insurance details.

I didn't think verbal agreement would hold up as proof but I think going to a solicitor may be the only route. My dad would never approach him for the money as he is too proud and told me to just let it go and learn a lesson from it! I, on the other hand hate my dad being screwed over by this selfish w**ker.

The strange part is that my dad invited the idiot to play golf with him on many ocassions and he used to say 'I'm not into golf!!' What the hell!!

Jeckyl and Hyde come to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭cheeky_guy

This might sound a bit low to some people out there but if i was you id find out where the car was parked, then go down and throw paint remover all over it.

Money back - Euro 00.00

Personal Satisfaction - Priceless

Edit: Please dont ban me mods but he deserves it. Plus no one really get hurt!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

banned
    and you know why
    B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

why don't you just do up a letter yourself pretending it's from a solicitors and say that if this money is not repaid in full within 30 days, he will be taken to court... can't hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

There is also the fact that the withdrawl statement on your dads bank account should match the amount for his insurance.

Also a verbal contract is binding once there is a witness.

If you have another witness apart from yourself then even better.

I would have a solicitor send out a letter (€50) stating the fact that he owes the money and there is a paper trail ie your dad's statement and your ex's insurance statement. blah blah blah...

Solicitors letters have a funny way of scaring people into doing things that they don't want to really do

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Unless you are prepared to follow through on specific legal action then don't waste your money on a solicitor's letter - you'll only be throwing good money after bad. Solicitor's letters don't scare a lot of people and by the sounds of it this fella has a neck like a jockeys bollix - I don't think he'll be phased by it.

If you want to take the legal route then go get advice from a solicitor (rather than eejits like me) on what you can and cannot do. It might or might not involve a "letter". It might involve having to take him to court, getting a judgement against him and then getting the judgement enforced. All of which will take time and will not be pleasant. Your solicitor will tell you exactly what you can and cannot do but will not guarantee any outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

If you have a friend or relative that is in the law game, ask him/her a favour to ring the guy up on your dad's behalf stating about an unpaid debt in the legal speak that they are good at. If it's not paid back in full within the next 7 days, legal proceedings will ensue. He'll soon caugh up the wonga.

TC

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

My best friend lent her boyfriend a large amount of money a number of years ago and when they broke up there was no sign of the money and he point blank refused to pay her back. I had inadvertently introduced them a couple of years previously. I approached him and suggested that it was very unfair not to pay up and was told to mind my own business in no uncertain terms.

What did I do ?

I went into his mothers business and very politely told her what had happened and that I was only looking out for my friend. I told her it was all a bit unfair and :o I said that he actually owed me money from cards also albeit a small amount - how much she says - didnt matter says I - I just wanted to get money back for my firend - how much she says - £10 says I :o

Anyhow, the money was paid back the next day and he arrived at her house and apologised - he would have been about 22 at the time. However he did say to her that he was going to break my legs when he saw me. She was delighted. i saw him once since and crossed the road just not to be confrontational.

I would try the softly softly approach first, then the embarassment of the family, then the golf club (gotta be careful though in case he sues YOU), then the solicitors route as once it gets that far it is the point of no return.

Actually your Dad calling to his house / parents house would also do the trick - no doubt.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

What a ****€r!! :mad:

Maybe if you ask to meet or get him on the phone and try (in a nice way) to come to an areement...€100 a month...if he's paying €900 insurance, joining golf clubs and going on holidays, then he can afford that...ask him to set up a direct debit..

If he wont negotiate, publicly humiliate him!! That's just so sleazy man! If you don't mind me asking, who "on good terms" initiated the split? Seems convienient that 2 months later it was over, and if you think about it, the wheels were probably put in motion around the time he recieved the cash? [/speculation]

Fuc*in con man.

Advertisement