Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTYIers favourite book

Options
  • 07-03-2006 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Inspired by Ludramans CTYIers favourite comedy, I decided to post this. As a prediction I'd say there will be alot of Hitchhiker's Guide but as a fact there probably won't.

CTYIers favourite book 24 votes

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
    0% 0 votes
    The Lord of the Rings
    41% 10 votes
    The Chronicles Of Narnia
    25% 6 votes
    The Jaqueline Wilson Books
    12% 3 votes
    The Harry Potter Books
    0% 0 votes
    Eragon & Eldest
    12% 3 votes
    Other
    8% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm not a huge fan of any of the above, but my favourite out of them has to be HHGTTG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

I'm of the same stance as Liz.
    This is also stupid as the books listed are the ones you've read in the last few months.
    I personally would give most CTYIers the benefit of the doubt and say that they have far better literary taste...

Lolita plzthks ¬.¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

This is a post that serves no purpose other than to increase my post count and impose my presence on others who view this board.

I really hope I'm the only one that had this great idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭JenLorigan

Liam: My cat's name is Mittens. :)

I'm not crazy about any of those books bar maybe LotR and HHGTTG. Everything's better when it's letters.

EDIT: Acronyms, those letters are called acronyms. >.<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Jeezie Creezie

I'm of the same stance as Liz.
    This is also stupid as the books listed are the ones you've read in the last few months.

In all fairness HGG (not HHGTTG! get your acronyms right people!) was the only book I'd read in the last few months. And your probably right they would have better literary taste, I just wanted to see if anyone liked these books.:) Probably a stupid idea though. I'll stop posting now *goes and hides in a corner for the next 10 years*

HGG= Hitchhikers Guide Galaxy?

I prefer HHGTTG

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

My favourite book isn't on the list. My favourite out of these would be the Guide.

Wow, it's been so long since I posted anyting on this forum. I blame the low number of threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭slasher_65

out of the list, HHG.
    i picked "other" 'cause i lik anything by Terry Pratchet more.
    if i was shouted at to choose, i would say "the Last Hero". its a graphic novel AND a Terry Pratchet book! heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Now. Acronomize THAT!

Yeah, boards has died slightly lately... Well, this wee portion of it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

LiamD wrote:
    This is a post that serves no purpose other than to increase my post count and impose my presence on others who view this board.

I really hope I'm the only one that had this great idea...

its highly orginal alright:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freakydeadgirl

Atlas Shurgged - Ayn Rand
    and
    Battle Royale - Koushun Takami

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I was in Xtravision today, and I walked down the aisle deriding all the movies at the very front, even the good ones. I was gonna do it to the books, but maybe later.

Favourite authors:
    Neal Stephenson (The Baroque Cycle is the most wonderfully self-indulgent piece of writing ever)
    China Mievelle
    William Gibson
    Steven Eriksson

All of the above belong at least partly to the 'speculative fiction' genre, as we're to call it if we're being PC nowadays.

Favourite other books- The Invisibles (Grant Morrison), Fight Club (Chuck Palahniuk), Midnight's Children and The Satanic Verses (Salman Rushdie)

Furthermore to this end, I am choosing 'Other' on yon poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

You do realise that, even on a CTY board, saying that you read books by Salman Rushdie sounds pretentious. Well it seems so to me anyway...

I read two books by him. They were weird and difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heh, Guy, any amount of pretence goes in these parts. :p I've got war and Peace on my to-read list, currently reading Hunchback of Notre Dame. Now, quoting and referencing Tolstoy is going to eb pretentious! :p

<3 Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Everyone read it, now, so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Spraypaint

How come nobody has mentioned Hunter S. Thompson yet?
    I thought his brand of debauched drug-addled craziness would sit well around here. I quite like him as an author but at the moment I'm in the middle of Fear and Loathing On the Campaign Trail '72 and I must admit its nothing compared to Vegas. But still, HST rocks.

While we're waxing pretentious, I ordered my new clarinet mouthpiece today (a Van Doren b40)

Undergod wrote:
    I read two books by him. They were weird and difficult.

Always a winning combination.

The Hours by Michael Cunningham is a great book. It'd possib;y help to have read Virginia Woolf's Mrs Dalloway before hand to get the references and understand where the book's coming from, but I didn't. Should have though.

Go read it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky

An amazing book. Amazing enough to make me post here for the first time in God knows how long. Read it. Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'd disagree there actually - i remember a girlfriend of mine bought me the satanic verses a few years back for Christmas (i'd expressed an interest at one point) and happened to come across Midnight's Children in a friends bookcase - both are excellent books, though Satanic Verses is slightly difficult.

as for good books - read "The Time Travellers Wife" if anyone comes across it. very weird an wonderful fiction. moving too.

Oh, I adored them both. But you surely agree Midnight's Children is a bit odd?

crash_000 wrote:
    I'd disagree there actually - i remember a girlfriend of mine bought me the satanic verses a few years back for Christmas (i'd expressed an interest at one point) and happened to come across Midnight's Children in a friends bookcase - both are excellent books, though Satanic Verses is slightly difficult.

as for good books - read "The Time Travellers Wife" if anyone comes across it. very weird an wonderful fiction. moving too.

The Time Traveller's Wife is very strange but I really liked it even though the concept of time-travel hurts my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

And satanic verses isnt? its Rushdie - you simply gotta go with the flow.

At the moment i'm reading a book called "first they killed my father" - this woman writing an account of her childhood during the khmer rouge era in Cambodia. pretty disturbing stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Jeezie Creezie

Sounds wierd and kinkeh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

This guy's good at being weird, isn't he!?

My favourite book of all time EVER would be Until I Find You by John Irving. I'm also partial to the Banned and the Banished series by James Clemens, and the Kushiel's Legacy trilogy by Jaqueline Carey

Never read Until I Find You, but A Prayer For Owen Meany, also by John Irving, is an excellent book. Lovelovelove. I think we used have more books of his, but they've disappeared somewhere in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Per Liefsonson

Haven't read either of those two Irving books but I've read The World According to Garp which was excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Bob wrote:
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower, Stephen Chbosky

An amazing book. Amazing enough to make me post here for the first time in God knows how long. Read it. Now.

Amazing enough to make me post also. Crash, borrow it from Gill, it's one of the single best books I've ever read.

Also - Alice in Wonderland / Through the Looking Glass. The child in me can't stop obsessing over those books. Some of his other stuff is great too though. And CS Lewis wrote some amazing philisophical fiction aswell as Narnia - The Screwtape Letters being a particular favourite. It's a series of letters between a young demon and his uncle, detailing the young demons struggle to get the man he's been assigned to sin enough to be sent to hell. It spans the mans whole life and is absolutely fascinating in terms of human nature, and evils view of humans.

Advertisement