Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant View Certain Websites

• 07-03-2006 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm running a network of six machines behind a Checkpoint firewall and a D-Link Router. Recently, I have been unable to access certain sites (on all the machines), such as www.hotmail.com, www.fiat.com, www.aib.ie (very occassional). The strange thing is that I can ping the domains as well as their IPs.

I'm also having that annoying problem with MSN Messenger 7.5 (80048820), but am the only one that is, so maybe this one is a problem with my machine.

I am using IE7, but have the same problems with Firefox. The strange thing is that it seems to reach the sites and then any forwarding or script running cause the pages to stop loading.

I have checked firewall logs and cant seem any relation between them and the problems I am having.

I have contacted Eircom and them are not having any DNS issues at the moment.

Can anyone help?

Gogul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you can ping, it isn't DNS.
    It's not uncommon for Firewall admins to block hotmain and any other webmail to ensure all email goes via company server and its content rules. But obviously that doesn't apply.

Or does it?

All those sites work via my very paranoid setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭gogul

watty wrote:
    If you can ping, it isn't DNS.
    It's not uncommon for Firewall admins to block hotmain and any other webmail to ensure all email goes via company server and its content rules. But obviously that doesn't apply.

Or does it?

All those sites work via my very paranoid setup.

No, its not that. I am able to get to Gmail with no problems. Also, I have checked the firewall for any blocked traffic and non is Hotmail. I even setup a rule to block all hotmail traffic purposely to see if the firewall rule-set was working correctly. It was blocked and the firewall showed it in the logs.

As far as I can tell, this is not a firewall issue. There have been no changes made to it in months and suddenly out of the blue these sites are not viewable.

Any other ideas?

Gogul

Advertisement