Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How often should or can you wash a puppy?

Options
  • 07-03-2006 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭

Hi there,

Just got a small pedigree Boxer recently and she`s only about 7 months old. The problem is he stinks really bad so I got some puppy shampoo and washed her last week in the bath, showering her with luke warm water making sure not to get suds or water it in her eyes or ears. She quiet liked it.

About a week later the stink was back so I washed her again but someone said to me washing a dog that often can sometimes be the cause of the smell.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 dan_pretty_boy

Hi Cableguy.

You should only wash a boxer twice a year because they have a short hair coat.
    What kind of smell is it?

You could search the following website to see if they have any info

www.boxerworld.com

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Unless your doggy tends to roll in some class of smelly stuff regularly, there should be no need to wash it any more than once or twice a year. A good, regular brushing will normally remove dirt and loose hair.

Washing takes away the natural oils that protect the skin which then have to be replenished, which can in some cases make the smell worse. Plus most shampoos are scented (usually in a scent that the dog isn't partial to) making the dog want to roll in sh*it even more.

Some dogs smell stronger than others, some don't smell at all (except when wet ...all dogs *pong* when wet:D )

If your pup smells really strongly, have it checked out. It could have some sort of food incompatability / allergy, infection, fungus, etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Thanks for that Dan and Peasant.

She smells like she`s been rolling in her own sh*t and Peasant I think you might be onto somthing as she can`t keep his food down sometimes!!!

I`ll take her to the vet and have her checked out.

Thanks for the advise people.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Congrats on the new addition to your family!

I have a 5mth old boxer bitch myself and as Danny said boxerworld is a fantastic resource for info on diets, training etc

I have to say my dog is permanently in the house at the mo and as a result she gets a bath every 3-4weeks. I know it isn't the most advised course of action but if she's smelly - she needs a wash. However she doen't seem to have the same degree of a prob as your dog by a long shot.

Some Vets aren't fab at picking up allergies so trying the BARF diet might be an option (check it out on boxerworld)

Hope your canine pal starts to feel better soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I've got a rough coated mongrel terrier and she rolls in and eats ssh it. It can be disgusting. Should I really hold off on washing her?

MM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've got a rough coated mongrel terrier and she rolls in and eats ssh it. It can be disgusting. Should I really hold off on washing her?

MM

Of course you can wash her ...just go easy on the shampoo and use doggy shampoo only.

BTW ...eating sh*t can be a sign of a wrong diet, have her checked by a vet at some stage.
    Also train her not to eat anything off the ground ...could be merely sh*t today, but poisoned bait / rat poison tomorrow :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

I've got a good high presure power washer, should be able to clean him up pretty good. also good for taking the old paint off the house

Advertisement