Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hotshot_rf

hi guys, finally got a date in early November, so its full steam ahead. Fair play to all who share their story here. its great to read. Just a quick question. I know I'll get a doctors cert but what is the best explanation to provvide for week, seeing you'l be out for a week? is there another hospital procedure which you could say you got done??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hotshot_rf wrote: »
    hi guys, finally got a date in early November, so its full steam ahead. Fair play to all who share their story here. its great to read. Just a quick question. I know I'll get a doctors cert but what is the best explanation to provvide for week, seeing you'l be out for a week? is there another hospital procedure which you could say you got done??

the cert doesn't say what operation it is, I think, but if you want an excuse, say you've got a bone spur in your foot - nice, vague and totally routine. As a plus, it also explains your delicate walk :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rvt wrote: »
    i went to the surgon the gp refferd me to..he didn even look at it.. al he said is ..we do full circ normally, but if u want we can do partial, wen i asked him abot sensitivity, he jus kept quite.. i was quite iritatd.
    TBH this is one of the biggest issues I have with this procedure. It's not the procedure itself(other than on perfectly healthy babies), rather some in the medical profession's attitudes, expertise and response to a range of penile conditions and genuine questions. In Ireland too. The attitude seems to be full circ as a first response. Too many have the experience of the doctor not even bothering to try other(or indeed being aware of) avenues. I understand that for many(diabetics etc) a full circ is fully medically warranted and that's cool, but one size does not fit all. Except for convenience or because its what they've always done.

It seems to be a lot of the time, someone with a tight frenulum(banjo string) full circ, minor phimosis, full circ. The good mate of mine who went through this opened my eyes to this. If he had gone with the first three dr's advice he would have had a full circ. He had a tight banjo string. Apparently his foreskin was tip top., so it would be utterly ridiculous in his case to go with a full removal of the foreskin. Anyway the fourth doctor, a woman ironically enough suggested another procedure to relax/cut it/dunno. Result a functioning penis that preserved as much of the tissue as possible. Which I would have thought was the point and medically good procedure.

RVT I would do more research. Find out what options are open to you. Find another doctor who is at least open to other options. If it turns out you medically require a full circ then OK, but research this. Also research how much tissue the particular surgeon will remove. Apparently some remove more or less than others. As I say its your body first and foremost.

As for sensitivity from what I've read, it depends on the individual man anyway. Foreskin or no foreskin. AFAIR Kinsey found men vary quite a bit, just like women.

Don't get me wrong. I am not against circumcision. I'm only against a medical procedure where it's not warranted or viable alternatives exist.

Me? If I had a severe phimosis that couldn't be resolved by other means, I would go for a circ too. It would be far better sensitivity wise and function wise.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

tbh wrote: »
    how long have you been with the VHI?
    Almost 11 months, not long I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is it possible to get it done via the public system at all?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yes, someone in this thread had it done, but they were waiting about 18 months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Like MM said, stuff like this can take forever in the public health system here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I had it done publicly. I think i was waiting about 11 months. Perhaps a little longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Yes, someone in this thread had it done, but they were waiting about 18 months.

yeah that was me. all over nd done with now . getting much better now. just waiting for the stiches to go

Which doctor was it and where?

• Advertisement

Robert flynn in tallaght was the surgeon . Dr john twomey in perrystown refered me

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RolfHarris

How are you getting on, byrner88?

getting on great able to wear boxers and all . Sleep whatever way i want . Sensitivity isnt a problem . Just the stiches to dissolve and i'll be all sorted please god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Rvt

thanks for advis guys, im just worried if wit partial circumsision hypersensitivity wil be an issue after it has healed, has any1 in this forum had a partial circumsision?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm getting a dorsal slit done this week and I'm trying not be nervous, should be ok as i'll be off work for the recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Stu77

How much does it cost to get a partial circumcision done public? I have a tight banjo string but otherwise normal foreskin that rolls back no probs when flaccid but not when erect.

Zero cost, but you will be made wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Stu77

How long is the wait if you go public? Anything over 1 year would be disgraceful but it wouldn't surprise me in this country. Such a common problem yet it takes a thread on boards.ie to highlight the problem and help us men folk get some answers and advice. Brilliant and informative thread from the first few pages i've read.

3 weeks since the operation and still no sign of the stitches dissolving is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RolfHarris

After about 10 days I cut mine out because they no longer did anything. Could you do that? Are they performing any function?

• Advertisement

3 weeks since the operation and still no sign of the stitches dissolving is this normal?

byrner88 wrote: »
    think it was about 5 weeks for mine - they'll probably all go at the same time rather than one by one.

will it make any difference if i cut them out or leave them another week or 2

byrner88 wrote: »
    will it make any difference if i cut them out or leave them another week or 2

if you cut them, you may get scars.

Got the op done late last week, all went very well in the hospital, got home spent around four days in bed. I did this because I was vervous I would damage the stiches or cause a bleed by moving about, Getting in and out of bed was a nightmare and it stung like hell. There has been no bleeding at all and the bottom part of my penis has swelled the most, it has swelled all around, but does not look quite as angry as I expected.

The Consultant said it would look like a dog chewed it off in a a few days!!! But thankfully it hasnt been that bad. I was given painkillers which I only really started taking yesterday because I moving about the house more and they are anti inflammatory, so it may help the swelling.

A few things, its great to be able to pee again properly, before the op I was spraying everywhere and it was awful, needing to sit down all the time, now I'm peeing like normal and that is great relief, even if its a mental thing.

The erections are a nightmare, it has gotten better but I am waking almost every half hour at night with one and its very uncomfortable, trying to get them to go dwon brings some funny things into your mind! But lets say St. Stephen's green on a sunny day would not be a good idea right now!!!!

The sensitivity of the head is awful, I am still in boxers because I am afraid tighter pants will do damage to the stitches. I walking around like John Waynes horse just simple to stop the head rubbing off the boxers.

I have been having salt bathes which are a delight! No .... they are fine. They don't really sting all that much during but do a little afterwards.

A few questions: When will the stictches start to dissolve? Also when can I start to shower normally without causing damage to the stitiches would could be problematic, its been six days since the op now.

Also when would be a good time to start wearing tighter pants to keep the damaged tackled still, so to speak!

Also apart from feeling slightly dizzy and a little upset stomach in the last three days I've been fine, just wondering if its the overhang from the drugs they gave me or could it be something else?

Relieved I had it done and cant want to get back to normal, should have done it years ago, the peeing thing is the only benefit I have been able to notice so far, but when I'm healed I hope to learn a few others!!!

tbh wrote: »
    if you cut them, you may get scars.
    Ok so i should leave them . Read a few times on the net that leaving the stitches in too long can cause little hole's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

mynewcock wrote: »
    There has been no bleeding at all and the bottom part of my penis has swelled the most, it has swelled all around, but does not look quite as angry as I expected.

The Consultant said it would look like a dog chewed it off in a a few days!!! But thankfully it hasnt been that bad. I was given painkillers which I only really started taking yesterday because I moving about the house more and they are anti inflammatory, so it may help the swelling.

Also apart from feeling slightly dizzy and a little upset stomach in the last three days I've been fine, just wondering if its the overhang from the drugs they gave me or could it be something else?

Aaaah memories! May I be the 1000th person to recount how I asked the consultant to take away the pain and leave the swelling...

Seriously though, the upset stomach is more likely cased by the anti-inflammatories you're taking - they're a killer on the stomach - ask your doc for some Zantac to take with them.

Don't mess with the stitches unless they're clearly broken and only then if they're sticking out uncomfortably and catching on your clothing. This and the nocturnal woodies caused me a ridge of scar tissue underneath the fireman's helmet (though having said that, they're, ahem, in just the right place according to herself :pac: )

milod wrote: »
    Aaaah memories! May I be the 1000th person to recount how I asked the consultant to take away the pain and leave the swelling...

Seriously though, the upset stomach is more likely cased by the anti-inflammatories you're taking - they're a killer on the stomach - ask your doc for some Zantac to take with them.

Don't mess with the stitches unless they're clearly broken and only then if they're sticking out uncomfortably and catching on your clothing. This and the nocturnal woodies caused me a ridge of scar tissue underneath the fireman's helmet (though having said that, they're, ahem, in just the right place according to herself :pac: )
    :

I have no intention of touching the stiches at all, but Byrne88 seems to be getting fed up of them. One week after the op after having no bleeding at all, there are now tiny blood patches appearing at the stitches, only two or three of them, and it appears one has torn, this happened during the day moving about it would appear.

Is this normal?

The nighttime erections are a serious pain in the ass, there is a gas I tihnk you can take to make them disappear so I wonder why they don't give it. I have relatively little pain up to now, but there is now occassional stinging, a week after!

Am I progressing well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Boorad

Hey. I went to a doctor today, took one look and told me it would be a circumcision. He filled out a form for a referral to a urolgist in the Mater but didn't say anything about how long I'm going to be waiting. Anyone know how long I could be waiting? I'm going public by the way..

Oh and this thread has been a great source information, pretty much the ONLY info for circumcision in Ireland!

• Advertisement

You could be waiting a few months to see the urologist and maybe 6 to 12 months for the op.

Advertisement