Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishkid2010

Hi there, I notice noone had addressed your post as of yet.

Firstly, you need to go to your GP and see if there is any underlying medical condition leading to the tightness (phimosis or somesuch).

Then, armed with advice from your GP, you can then make a real decision on whether a circumcision is really necessary. Circumcision should only be considered when all other avenues have been exhausted, it is completely irreversible.

If your GP does not think a circumcision is in your best interests, he may prescribe you a steroid cream (betamethasone based) which will thin the skin and help you retract without issues. He may not even do this, he may give you advice on how to stretch your foreskin, which is entirely possible, with a routine which may be as simple as sitting in the bath and slowly pulling it back until you are fully retracted and doing this regimentally until the skin is permanently stretched.

There are plenty of people here who can help advise you, but a GP is really your first port of call.

The fact that you are able to have sex is a sign that it may only be a tightness issue.

thanks for the reply. now its just the part where i got to grow a pair and go into the gp.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

thanks for the reply. now its just the part where i got to grow a pair and go into the gp.:o

I promise you - you think it's going to be A LOT worse than it actually will be. I would say 85% of the lads on here have had the same thought AFTER seeing their GP - "I wish I hadn't worried so much".

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭apope8

tbh wrote: »
    I promise you - you think it's going to be A LOT worse than it actually will be. I would say 85% of the lads on here have had the same thought AFTER seeing their GP - "I wish I hadn't worried so much".

My thoughts exactly! Its nothing the GP hasn't seen before, it is actually a common occurring problem with men. You will be in there no longer than ten minutes. The relief when you come out and finally know that your getting it sorted is amazing. I'm a day shy of two weeks after my operation now and I feel more confident than ever. Just cant wait to try the lad out now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

The fact that you feel as though there has been a hygiene improvement speaks more of your toiletry habits than anything else really.

I dont agree, perhaps you misunderstand....the personal hygeine challenge will be well understood by anyone who has had to cope with phimosis, balanitis and a long foreskin combination. It is (was) very difficult to retract the foreskin to urinate and sometimes uncomfortable or painful due to swelling / tenderness of the foreskin. And because the foreskin was long, it had a tendancy to get wet and was difficult to dry thoroughly in the toilet, especially if urinals were the only option available. While i always showered daily, it was difficult to keep it fresh and clean 24 hours a day due to the above issues......worse in summer due to warm humid conditions.
    None of these problems now, its so easy to keep it completely clean always, plus its dry from air contact also. a million times better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I dont agree, perhaps you misunderstand....the personal hygeine challenge will be well understood by anyone who has had to cope with phimosis, balanitis and a long foreskin combination. It is (was) very difficult to retract the foreskin to urinate and sometimes uncomfortable or painful due to swelling / tenderness of the foreskin. And because the foreskin was long, it had a tendancy to get wet and was difficult to dry thoroughly in the toilet, especially if urinals were the only option available. While i always showered daily, it was difficult to keep it fresh and clean 24 hours a day due to the above issues......worse in summer due to warm humid conditions.
    None of these problems now, its so easy to keep it completely clean always, plus its dry from air contact also. a million times better.
    Thanks for all the info boys. I have a similar problem to westskipper so finally went to a urologist last week and could have surgery in late janurary but due to work have to put it off till june:(. Now i only have 6 months to wait. The worst part is talking to the doctor in the first place and believe me my mind had it way way WAY worse than it actually was. They have seen much worse and way more interesting things than a mans penis. Just go and do it. You wont rergret it if only for peace of mind. Will i be so philosophical next june i wonder:o

• Advertisement

This is the thing, if you'll pardon the pun. I know there are people that read this thread who sometimes make the point that a circ isn't the be all and end all , and that's right, it's not, and that needs repeating. However just as there are cases where it's not necessary, there are cases where it is, and I think from the descriptions, all of the cases here have been. I honestly think that unless you're in the situation yourself, there are two things you cannot truly appreciate - 1: the sense of relief after the first doctor visit, and 2: how much it improves your life afterwards, both mentally and physically. That's not me trying to sell the procedure, but it is me trying to reassure anyone who is trying to pluck up the courage to go to the doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Well I'm down for surgery on 20 Jan...

Went to see urologist last week...and appears the only solution..just a bit tight but says stretching will not work so off with that foreskin..:rolleyes:

General anesthetic BTW ...

Had a frenuoplasty last year and stitches etc took about 3-4 weeks to heal up..was only 4 stitches mind..doc says similar timeframe this time round although there will be a lot more stitches..

Will repot more at the time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DigitalPirate

Hey guys, I had a full circumcision on the 23rd, and was just wondering if anyone else had a yellowish discharge on their gauze and dressings after applying fucidin or other topical antibacterial gel. Also, my frenulum was removed, but there is still what appears to be a tiny piece left right beside the urethral opening, did anyone else have this and did it go away?

Thanks

yes dont worry yellowish seepage is a normal part of the body's immune response to deep skin cuts, its just part of the healing process, dont wash it out, just blott off the excesss. Your body knows what it is doing, this pus will form a film over the cut area which will keep out infection until it bridges the gap with new scar tissue and seals up the cut. You will amazed how fast this will heal, a week makes an enormous difference.
    I am at 6 weeks post circ now, and its like i was born this way now, its almost impossible to tell i had surgery only 6 weeks ago.
    i'm sure it will take some months before everything is 100% sorted out, but its about 98% now.
    Its the easiest surgery you will ever have, and by far the most effective any man could have. I wouldm never go back to the way i was, not for 1 minute!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DigitalPirate

Thanks skipper, what about the little bit of tissue left where the frenulum attached to my head, did you have that as well?

So far things seem to be healing along steadily.

• Advertisement

Hi Pirate,

Yes i do have the little bit left where the frenny used to be attached - this i am told will 'melt away' over time, probably months.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Nip The Tip

...Also, my frenulum was removed, but there is still what appears to be a tiny piece left right beside the urethral opening, did anyone else have this and did it go away?

I had that too, but it was more of a scab than skin, now all I have along there is a smooth barely noticeable scarline :)

Just wondering if any of the old skool lads on here had this issue a few months after their op - it's been 3 months for me now and the scarline around the underside of my lad gets very tender if i press on it.. anybody else got that?
    I'm wondering if there's a stitch buried under it that didn't dissolve. Or something

Doesn't ring any bells I'm afraid. That doesn't mean anything tho.

Just past the 6 week stage now, day 44 to be precise. although all surface healing has been visibly concluded weeks ago, the slower long term healing continues - like the fading of the scar, the blending of the skin colours on each side, and the improved elasticity of the skin on both sides. I suppose it will be months perhaps before the thicker scar ring dissolves and thins out, but i can wait. once again, for anyone thinking about getting the operation done, I have changed from being a circumcision sceptic to a total convert. Its the best decision i ever made, its only in the last 6 weeks that i really discovered and met my real penis, i now realise that for the previous 40 years it was like something wrapped tightly in duct tape that i had never really experienced properly. its also like having a completely new penis, and learning how to do male things like take a piss and other more sexual stuff for the first time, as the circ'd penis does all of this very differently. and for those who tell you that you will lose sensitivity and sexual feeling, what a load of crap. True, i can no longer feel anything in the 2" of foreskin that was removed...but replacing that is a whole new set of sensations that are just as nice and sensual, so overall there is no loss or disappointment. I wish i had done this 20 years earlier, every week is a further improvement. PM me if you want to discuss in private anytime, or if you want details of the private clinic i attended.

Just past the 6 week stage now, day 44 to be precise. although all surface healing has been visibly concluded weeks ago, the slower long term healing continues - like the fading of the scar, the blending of the skin colours on each side, and the improved elasticity of the skin on both sides. I suppose it will be months perhaps before the thicker scar ring dissolves and thins out, but i can wait. once again, for anyone thinking about getting the operation done, I have changed from being a circumcision sceptic to a total convert. Its the best decision i ever made, its only in the last 6 weeks that i really discovered and met my real penis, i now realise that for the previous 40 years it was like something wrapped tightly in duct tape that i had never really experienced properly. its also like having a completely new penis, and learning how to do male things like take a piss and other more sexual stuff for the first time, as the circ'd penis does all of this very differently. and for those who tell you that you will lose sensitivity and sexual feeling, what a load of crap. True, i can no longer feel anything in the 2" of foreskin that was removed...but replacing that is a whole new set of sensations that are just as nice and sensual, so overall there is no loss or disappointment. I wish i had done this 20 years earlier, every week is a further improvement. PM me if you want to discuss in private anytime, or if you want details of the private clinic i attended.

I was just about to write my One month check in, when I read this! You stole my the words out of my mouth west skipper!
    I guess I'm just gonna continue to reassure everyone whose recently got this done or thinking of enquiring about it.
    It is the best decission I have ever made. The first two weeks after the op is the worse, then everything gets better so quickly! no more pain, no more having to sit down to pee!
    As west skipper says, you feel like you've finally joined the rest of the male population as you finally feel you have a normal fully functional working penis!
    I recently went back to having sex with the girlfriend and I have to tell ya lads, My God! Its like what iv been doing before could not be classed as sex! It is amazing. The only trouble Iv been having is rolling the condom over the scarline but once you get it passed its no problem! I cant wait for the coming weeks as it is only gonna get better! (Seriously its like loosing your virginity again!)
    Again if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

and for those who tell you that you will lose sensitivity and sexual feeling, what a load of crap.

Somebody please embroider this on a cushion, truest thing I heard all day. :)

Out of interest guys (and bear in mind I have my wee op on Thursday week...)
    When ye all say it's the best thing ever afterwards, should have had it done years ago, much better, no loss of sensitivity etc etc etc ..... I am assuming that ye all have had phimosis all your lives and have no idea what sex with an properly functioning foreskin is like???

Mine has been perfect all my life (and has done me well lol)..it's only recently I started having a wee bit of difficulty..

So, if you see, I can understand where a guy who has suffered all his life would thing it BRILLIANT afterwards but what about a guy who has been 'perfectly intact' all his life and now will have no foreskin afterwards???

I kinda reckon that as someoen put it 'using a dry stick' isnt gonna be much fun??

I really think that the 'best bit' for me has been the gliding back and forth action of the foreskin..this will now be gone...I'm seriously concerned that sex afterwards will not be enjoyable???

Opinions?

I had a few notches on my bedpost when I developed it, I'm diabetic, so have experience before and after. It's pretty much exactly the same. I don't know how to explain it, but I can understand why you're thinking along the lines of dry stick - honestly, it's not like that in practise.
    "I really think that the 'best bit' for me has been the gliding back and forth action of the foreskin."
    that's because the foreskin is stimulating the head of your penis - but the vagina will do that as well.

Zipppy wrote: »
    Out of interest guys (and bear in mind I have my wee op on Thursday week...)
    When ye all say it's the best thing ever afterwards, should have had it done years ago, much better, no loss of sensitivity etc etc etc ..... I am assuming that ye all have had phimosis all your lives and have no idea what sex with an properly functioning foreskin is like???

Mine has been perfect all my life (and has done me well lol)..it's only recently I started having a wee bit of difficulty..

So, if you see, I can understand where a guy who has suffered all his life would thing it BRILLIANT afterwards but what about a guy who has been 'perfectly intact' all his life and now will have no foreskin afterwards???

I kinda reckon that as someoen put it 'using a dry stick' isnt gonna be much fun??

I really think that the 'best bit' for me has been the gliding back and forth action of the foreskin..this will now be gone...I'm seriously concerned that sex afterwards will not be enjoyable???

Opinions?

Well Yea I have never known sex without phimosis so as you can imagine its a big difference for me!
    The only place I can imagine you'll notice a difference is giving yourself a hand shandy or getting one! But sure they have lube for that! :P As tbh said the vagina will stimulate the gland, lips and tongue the same.
    I can say that if your phimosis gets really bad its gonna effect the feeling you get off sex anyway and if it gets really bad then its gonna start hurting, and no one wants that.
    I know what your going through, the lad is such a big part of a mans life that it terrifies you to think of changing anything about it. But all I can say is I would never go back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Iceman aka Bobby Drake

Well lads took the 1st step.. booked my GP appointment for friday! should be fun.. kinda dreading it!
    :D

• Advertisement

Well done man! Hardest part is practically over

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭BigProblem

Hi Guys

I was wondering for most people on here who have had the circumsion, did you have a choice in doing so? Could you not of done the stretching exercises or was it a case of getting circumsion was the only road to go down?

I need to go to doctor myself but worried i will need to get circumsion, really would like to avoid this.

Thanks for any advice!

Personally, I'd no choice, the phimosis was too severe.

Can I ask, is there any specific reason you'd like to avoid it?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭BigProblem

i play sports and dont want to be out of action for awhile, it also sounds really painful and need to work to pay bills etc..

dont fancy telling work/friends and family the reason.

Gotcha. I'd say you'll be out of action for about ten days and I told people I'd a bone spur on my foot removed :) your doc will discuss all your options with you anyway.

Oh and it's really not painful, more uncomfortable for a little while.

BigProblem wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I was wondering for most people on here who have had the circumsion, did you have a choice in doing so? Could you not of done the stretching exercises or was it a case of getting circumsion was the only road to go down?

I need to go to doctor myself but worried i will need to get circumsion, really would like to avoid this.

Thanks for any advice!

Ok I have to say I'm considering deferring my op... (due thursday week..)

Think I'll give stretching a go first (i have a tube of Betnovate too..)

I'm not worried about the op or the aftereffects of recovery etc....I am concered about what effect losing all that foreskin will have ...

Decisions decisions ;)

I'm not worried about the op or the aftereffects of recovery etc....I am concered about what effect losing all that foreskin will have ...

Decisions decisions ;)

I have to say, for me, I've never once regretted it, but I would definitely say that you should make the decision is right for you - if you're unsure, don't let yourself get pressured into it.

• Advertisement

Decisions decisions ;)

PM sent.

Advertisement