Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Iceman aka Bobby Drake

well lads.... big day 2mara! heading in at 7 am! not bricking it as much as i thought i would... guess im looking foreward to it
    :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Stu

I had my frenectomy/partial circumcision done 9 days ago and am now virtually healed bar some very slight swelling. Haven't had sex yet but have masturbated without any problems. Just want to add that i used Cetraben Emollient Cream to help with healing. This stuff really accelerates the healing process, i highly recommend if you want to knock a third off the healing time. Best decision i ever made, having the OP, just wish i hadn't procrastinated for so long but am glad went with my gut instinct and had a partial as opposed to a full circ.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Nip The Tip

circ wrote: »
    Not much to report Zippy.

All much the same... the scarline is going great... the frenulum is still healing and slightly swollen and I have one bit of a stitch in the side of the frenulum lumpy bit (it's a funny one without a knot, it was just a thread, one end has now popped out).

Slight soreness every now and again on the frenulum.

Other than that all great - loving it!

As for release - day 9!
    Zipppy wrote: »
    You kept that one quiet lol

Yep loving it here too... :)

**** :D

Went to the GP 2 weeks ago after dreading it for about 3 years!!! Went in, wasn't as bad as I thought. He sent a referral letter to a consultant. Got no response. Eventually called the hospital today, which they said "Yes, we haven't sent you an appointment as there is a 2 year waiting list to see the consultant."

Couldn't believe it. I have VHI also so can't understand what's going on. Bit of an anti-climax as I thought I'd at least have met a Consultant or have an appointment at least. Lads, can someone pm me with the details of who ye went to or saw. After putting this off for years now, I'm eager to just go ahead with the procedure.

I have VHI, which apparently covers me for the procedure in any public hospital.

Any healp is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

I have VHi too, I just went to my doc who shouted "circumcision!!" and referred me to a consultant surgeon.
    I rang surgeon, made the appointment (could have got one within a few days), saw the surgeon and made the surgery appointment (public hospital) for a couple of weeks later.
    VHi covered the op cost (apparently) and all I had to pay was (a) the doc (b) consultant surgeon consultation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 patrix

Someone mentioned a clinic in Malahide but does anyone know of a good clinic and/or consultant somewhere on the south side and if so, could they PM me the details please?
    Been putting this off for ages and it's now time to get something done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chillaxed

3 and a half weeks on from the procedure here and I sometimes forget that I had it done! Last stitch came out at 2 and a half weeks, and normal service was resumed 2 days ago. Extremely pleased and relieved I've had it done, and it wasn't particularly bad in the grand scheme of things.

To anyone still contemplating it, I would reccomend seeing a doctor to clarify the issue. And, to paraphrase Shakespeare "If a thing is to be done, it best be done quickly". Its a couple of days discomfort at worst. You won't regret it.

Thanks again to all contributers to this thread, it was a massive help. One happy camper here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Funky G

Good morning all,

Haven't been here in a little bit so I thought I'd let you know that i've just had the procedure yesterday.

I had the frenectomy and the partical circ as opposed to the full circ which the urologist in the private clinic suggested.

Thanks to westskipper for giving me the info.

The only bad thing was that my health insurer wouldn't cover it - even though the doctor was registered with them, you need a procedure code from the doctor to pass on to your insurer. Something he didn't have and something the health insurance company weren't willing to give out!

oh yeah - morning wood was a bit sore.....

Stu - did you need a prescription for that cream?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

To be honest, it doesnt sound like there's anything wrong with your little lads's willy, and thats how most irish GPs are likely to view the situation also. The medical culture in ireland is opposed to circumcision unlness there are medical reasons, and (especially in children) surgery which is not deemed medically necessary is not likely to be entertained. This is not one of the countries that consider routine childhood circumcision to be a common elective procedure, and the relatively small number of ethnic and religious groups that routinely circumcise children for religious reasons (Jewish and Muslem faiths etc) do so within their own community network, not via the health system.
    A 8 year old boy with a bunch of foreskin at the end of the penis but without symptoms of infections or discomfort may not convince a GP that there is a medical reason to circumcise. Adult men with the same condition do not automatically need circumcision either, unless there is a history of phimosis, infection, etc. However an adult electing for private surgery for personal reasons will be treated differently to a child being submitted for 'elective' surgery in the irish health system as there is mature consent of the individual involved.
    As others have said, seek medical opinion, but dont be surprised if the suggestion is to wait until after puberty at least.

That's great advice, thanks. I wasn't aware that things might change with the foreskin when he hits puberty. I'll leave it for now so - It was something I had thought of over the years, but never mentioned it to a gp, as it's never caused him a problem. It was only recently, when he pointed it out to me himself (about his mates willys) that it occurred to me that it might give him problems when he's older.

I won't bother with any intervention just now so - and I will tell him about what might happen, should he need to be circumsised. thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 circ

Everything was going well till mid last week - got a fever and the shakes, like I was getting the flu, but didn't get the flu. Also had bit of swelling around cut and glands, Left it for a few days and had to go to Doc and get anti-biotics and cream. Had an infection.

Not nice! :(

Have absolutley no idea how I got the infection - as everything was healing brilliantly, I was very careful with it, and as I put in my preceding posts everything was healed and closed up quickly.

Only thing it may have been was I went running the day before I got the fever, and perhaps with the movement and sweating ,etc, something happened. And I was messing with a final stitch I had left in. Who knows.

The infection was murder, and I mean murder, so heads up to everyone getting it done - be careful with it afterwards.

Anyway the anti-biotics have started kicking in again and it is healing from the infection, so all good.

Still have one stitch sticking out of frenulum - not like other stitches as it has no knot and seems to go deep into the frenulum, I'm leaving it well alone, I've learnt my lesson.

Best of luck to those who posted they have had surgery in last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Everything was going well till mid last week - got a fever and the shakes, like I was getting the flu, but didn't get the flu. Also had bit of swelling around cut and glands, Left it for a few days and had to go to Doc and get anti-biotics and cream. Had an infection.

Not nice! :(

Have absolutley no idea how I got the infection - as everything was healing brilliantly, I was very careful with it, and as I put in my preceding posts everything was healed and closed up quickly.

Only thing it may have been was I went running the day before I got the fever, and perhaps with the movement and sweating ,etc, something happened. And I was messing with a final stitch I had left in. Who knows.

The infection was murder, and I mean murder, so heads up to everyone getting it done - be careful with it afterwards.

Anyway the anti-biotics have started kicking in again and it is healing from the infection, so all good.

Still have one stitch sticking out of frenulum - not like other stitches as it has no knot and seems to go deep into the frenulum, I'm leaving it well alone, I've learnt my lesson.

Best of luck to those who posted they have had surgery in last few days.

Sorry to hear that circ....get well soon ...

All good with me...all healed nicely .. although a bit 'sore' and red after 'relations' with GF this morning..perhaps I went at it too hard too soon...will go easier for a bit..:rolleyes:

Loving it though....and as for orgasms OMG amazing :D

Now one issue I MAY have....i'm thinking (but I coudl be wrong) that I suddenly have some blood in my semen...anyone have this after a circ ???

All good here now too Zippy - infection has been and gone.

I wouldn't wish an infection on anyone - it was a nightmare, if a feather had touched my glands it felt like being kicked in the groin by a horse. Not nice!

My final stitch came out of its own accord, so pleased about that.

As for the blood in the semen, I don't mean to sound alarmist but I read about someone else that that happened to and within a couple of days their penis actually droped off. :eek:

Hahaha Sorry couldn't resist that.

On a serious note - maybe it is blood from the frenulum or the cut? If it is actually in the semen I'd get that checked out.

On another note has anyone heard about how in some cultures they dip the cut off foreskin in brandy and give to the doctor as a treat to eat? Strange but apparently true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 livindublin

Went to the GP 2 weeks ago after dreading it for about 3 years!!! Went in, wasn't as bad as I thought. He sent a referral letter to a consultant. Got no response. Eventually called the hospital today, which they said "Yes, we haven't sent you an appointment as there is a 2 year waiting list to see the consultant."

Couldn't believe it. I have VHI also so can't understand what's going on. Bit of an anti-climax as I thought I'd at least have met a Consultant or have an appointment at least. Lads, can someone pm me with the details of who ye went to or saw. After putting this off for years now, I'm eager to just go ahead with the procedure.

I have VHI, which apparently covers me for the procedure in any public hospital.

Any healp is greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Thanks a million for all the advice on here!! Got my appointment with a consultant in a few weeks. Am glad this issue is finally starting to move after putting it off for so long. Will update on progress. This thread has been a source of invaluable info!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭westskipper

While the obvious major advantages of getting the circ are to cure the phimosis problem, the little overlooked advantages are very welcome too. Like the constant feeling of freshness and cleanliness, the knowledge that you will never again encounter smegma and that vile cheesy fishy smell, even if you washed it twice a day !

On another note has anyone heard about how in some cultures they dip the cut off foreskin in brandy and give to the doctor as a treat to eat? Strange but apparently true.

wtf :pac:
    While the obvious major advantages of getting the circ are to cure the phimosis problem, the little overlooked advantages are very welcome too. Like the constant feeling of freshness and cleanliness, the knowledge that you will never again encounter smegma and that vile cheesy fishy smell, even if you washed it twice a day !

Yes indeed, no more worrying about odours and leftovers (:pac:) on the old knobend when some random young one starts nosing into my jocks in the corner of a club :D.
    Of course the uncut crowd will have you know that a foreskin is just as clean as a cut penis if you follow normal hygiene etc etc.... I'm one of the few that had it both ways and let me tell you it stays fresher for far, far longer than when I had the skin. Plus it's easier to clean. Even when it was just cleaned it still had a "clean" odour to it, now it's about as odour-ful as my elbow at all times.
    Maybe it's just me, but psychologically I just feel cleaner and tidier without the skin :)

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

Hi guys. I'm getting the job done next thursday and just wondering what I should wear after de op? (tight jocks, fat pants etc..)

ohdatlewis wrote: »
    Hi guys. I'm getting the job done next thursday and just wondering what I should wear after de op? (tight jocks, fat pants etc..)

Dont really mater what you were coming home as you'll be all bandaged up :)

But when you take bandages off you'll try to be as loose as possible (and nothing at all if possible) as it will be somewhat sensitive.....doesnt last long though....a few days...after that I found tight jocks teh best for a bit...

Best of luck with it..........it's great...I love mine :)

So....almost 6 weeks now.....

All good and just waiting for scar to heal properly..it's still a wee bit sensitive...

I must say for anyone contemplating getting it done, or needing it done, it's so easy.....dont be in the slightest bit scared.....

Next is the snip...should be like a paper cut compared to the circ :rolleyes:

Now where's the snip thread ..........:o

Zipppy wrote: »
    So....almost 6 weeks now.....

All good and just waiting for scar to heal properly..it's still a wee bit sensitive...

I must say for anyone contemplating getting it done, or needing it done, it's so easy.....dont be in the slightest bit scared.....

Next is the snip...should be like a paper cut compared to the circ :rolleyes:

Now where's the snip thread ..........:o

zippy, i PM'd you about the snip too...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

Just home after spending last night in hospital as wound was "oozing".
    Feel ok, very sensitive as expected but no pain as such.
    The one thing about it though is how horrible it looks, I nearly feel sick when I have a glance off my shaft now. I was told that this is normal and that it will heal over time so the sooner the better in my view!
    Going for bath now, is there anything I should/should not use to clean it?

The one thing about it though is how horrible it looks, I nearly feel sick when I have a glance off my shaft now. I was told that this is normal and that it will heal over time so the sooner the better in my view!

Hey don't worry about how it looks man, at least not for a few weeks. They always look like a dog chewed it :eek:
    On my first couple of nights I was afraid to touch it to clean it, I just let swished it about in warm water for a minute.

• Advertisement

It will heal very quickly from this point on, and it should be fully sealed up in less than two weeks. The speed of healing and repair is quite amazing. By 2 months you will have forgotten you even had it done, by 4 months the scar will have almost disappeared. Hang in there mate, you will be very happy with the outcome. I have never heard of anyone who had it done who wishes that they could go back, it really is a huge improvment in every way. Keep us posted about how you get on !

All the best ohdatlewis - just use water, no soaps or detergents to clean yer man - as others have said his appearance will improve over time.

Just over 6 weeks since the op - glad to report everything is brilliant, I'm very happy with the result. Still a little soreness now again around the scar - but hardly even notice it anymore.

Just thought I'd post my conclusions on how sex compares before and after having a circumcision.

I had adult phimosis - for about a year - prior to that my foreskin was normal and fully retractable all of my life. So I now have experience of sex with a normal functioning foreskin and without.

Conclusion:

I actually find it slightly better circumcised, there is a slight different feeling which is good and orgasms feel better. But all of the stuff out there about losing sensitivity - has not happened here at all.

So yeah hardly any difference in sexual feeling - and certainly no loss in sensitivity nor enjoyment.

But all of the stuff out there about losing sensitivity - has not happened here at all.

So yeah hardly any difference in sexual feeling - and certainly no loss in sensitivity nor enjoyment.

+ eleventy. My impression is it is always uncut folks who rave about sensitivity loss etc anyway :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

And women will grab anything with 10% off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PIERCEpx219

Hi All,
    I've been reading this thread for awhile now and I have been thinking of getting the operation. I am better off been 100% honest. I am a 23 year old male,uncut. To be honest i am really sick of washing down below but yet their always seems to be a light kind of smell.My penis even after showering is still wet and i know taking the foreskin off the tip of my penis will keep it dry and non-smelly. To be honest I never feel any sensation during sex no matter the position,i do really think i need this for every possible reason. I really would like to hear from guys who before and after the operation their feelings of before/after sex. how it feels to use the toilet is it the same feeling or different.Because of the foreskin I dont get any sensation from wearing any underneath clothing but after the operation will i feel it more wearing certain boxers/briefs.

I would like to hear guys on this and their story through it because I am kind of nervous. I only have 6months to go to the doctor make an appointment from there on and waiting,getting it done.
    THANKS SO MUCH.
    PIERCE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

.Because of the foreskin I dont get any sensation from wearing any underneath clothing but after the operation will i feel it more wearing certain boxers/briefs.

I know it's hard to believe - but the answer is no. it feels the same after as it did before. I know, right? how can that be the case, and yet you still don't lose sensitivity? I don't know, but it's true, honestly.

And women will grab anything with 10% off.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had a full circumcision 5 weeks ago and healing has gone well, everything seems back to normal.

The circ was painless and in all honesty i was grand after 1 week (i.e - no pain and walking normally) and the initial sensitivity i felt from rubbing my exposed glans against clothing disappeared within 2 weeks.

I can masturbate without any problems but when i had sex the other night for the first time, i felt nothing, i may as well have been banging a hole in the wall. I'm seriously worried that I've been left with nerve damage.

Somebody please tell me that my penis is still traumatized from the Operation because sex wasn't pleasurable at all, it wasn't painful like when i had a tight foreskin but everybody on here keeps saying how much better sex is after a circumcision. Should i be worried?

My penis looks much better though and is obviously cleaner but this is no compensation at the moment. Will my sensitivity return? Thanks.

• Advertisement

I had a full circumcision 5 weeks ago and healing has gone well, everything seems back to normal.

The circ was painless and in all honesty i was grand after 1 week (i.e - no pain and walking normally) and the initial sensitivity i felt from rubbing my exposed glans against clothing disappeared within 2 weeks.

I can masturbate without any problems but when i had sex the other night for the first time, i felt nothing, i may as well have been banging a hole in the wall. I'm seriously worried that I've been left with nerve damage.

Somebody please tell me that my penis is still traumatized from the Operation because sex wasn't pleasurable at all, it wasn't painful like when i had a tight foreskin but everybody on here keeps saying how much better sex is after a circumcision. Should i be worried?

My penis looks much better though and is obviously cleaner but this is no compensation at the moment. Will my sensitivity return? Thanks.

I'd say so, yes - only because my sensitivity has actually increased over the months. The first whack I had (6 weeks maybe?) after the op took about 5 times as long as usual and the 2nd took 10 times as long.. i got worried I wouldn't be able to fire off anymore, but got back to normal within weeks.
    Remember the nerves will still be healing.
    On the other hand, you can rodger the daylights out of any girl now forever :D you'll dry her out lol

Advertisement