Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Niall2012

Just booked my appointment with the gp today! im bricking myself! this is miles out of my comfort zone! do I tell her I have phomosis and does she just check and refer me to someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ABitTight

She will refer you to a urologist. In my case I just booked the appointment with the urologist and went to the GP in the interim to get a referral letter etc.

I got the job done today. :O

How long does the average urologist referral take? How long is the average wait for the op on public health?

Just to update. I went to my gp and she has refered me to a urologist! Wasn't as scary as I thought it would be!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

Going the urologist next week, any tips on question I should be asking or anything like that???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Mister R wrote: »
    Going the urologist next week, any tips on question I should be asking or anything like that???

Not a lot really, she will ask how difficult it is to retract, and you will answer and then you go from their.

Stuff like price, recovery will come up as well.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Forgive my abruptness, but how much would you be looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ABitTight

Mine cost about €1000 including everything and I got it done very quickly and private. Saved about €400 by getting it done under local anesthetic.:pac:

I would be bold enough to say getting this done is more or less painless (hope I am not jinxing myself). No problems at all really, some discomfort with sensitivity and midnight boner-ing but other than that its all good, that goes after a few days either way.

All good. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 2796453qweigzm

Hey Guys,

Young guy (mid 20s) here who has suffered severe phimosis for most of my life. After reading through the internet a couple of months ago, I stumbled upon this site and was such a weight off my shoulders to know I wasn't alone. As I continued to read through the posts
    I was convinced getting a full circ was the way to go so went to the urologist several months ago and finally the day has arrived, getting the lad cut in about 4 hours.

Not really that nervous, largely because I am hoping I can have general over local - don't want to be awake at the time! but also because I can put things in perspective - a few weeks of discomfort, after which I can begin to actually enjoy sex like I should be able to!

I Know most people have already posted their stories and developments post - op and I think I will do the same -- more for something to do , but also just to ensure I am developing as I should be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Hey Guys,

Young guy (mid 20s) here who has suffered severe phimosis for most of my life. After reading through the internet a couple of months ago, I stumbled upon this site and was such a weight off my shoulders to know I wasn't alone. As I continued to read through the posts
    I was convinced getting a full circ was the way to go so went to the urologist several months ago and finally the day has arrived, getting the lad cut in about 4 hours.

Not really that nervous, largely because I am hoping I can have general over local - don't want to be awake at the time! but also because I can put things in perspective - a few weeks of discomfort, after which I can begin to actually enjoy sex like I should be able to!

I Know most people have already posted their stories and developments post - op and I think I will do the same -- more for something to do , but also just to ensure I am developing as I should be!

You'll be fine, i'm six months down the line and don't know myself. After the op, things will go slow for a week or so then you'll notice the healing kicking in.
    Stay in, keep it clean. In a few days you'll be back walking properly and in 6 weeks be back in the sack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 2796453qweigzm

So had the operation earlier, was under general thank god! didnt want to be awake during it. Cant remember a thing other than waking up in the recovery area after.

The little lad looks quite tender....bit nervous about next few days re: bandages coming off - hypersensitivity and midnight erections - hopefully they are not too bad!

Any suggestions over next few days? Got prescribed neurofen plus for the pain, and plan on just lazing about over next few days...

When do you guys think (on a relative basis - I know everyone is different) that the sensitivity will ease and I'll be back able to walk around/ drive the car etc?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

So had the operation earlier, was under general thank god! didnt want to be awake during it. Cant remember a thing other than waking up in the recovery area after.

The little lad looks quite tender....bit nervous about next few days re: bandages coming off - hypersensitivity and midnight erections - hopefully they are not too bad!

Any suggestions over next few days? Got prescribed neurofen plus for the pain, and plan on just lazing about over next few days...

When do you guys think (on a relative basis - I know everyone is different) that the sensitivity will ease and I'll be back able to walk around/ drive the car etc?

Cheers!

Patience. In a week to ten days you'll be feeling better. In two weeks you won't be bothered by it. In three weeks you'll be 90% better and in six you'll be better than you were before the op.

You won't see any improvement for a few days. Don't worry. The worst is over and every day will be easier than the day before. Today is day 0 so it stands to reason that today is the worst day. And I bet even the worst day isn't as bad as you thought it'd be.

Well done. Feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Had a frenuloplasty a few years back, not sure how many people would qualify for this, I think it was due to a different problem - it manifested as phimosis though.

Get a urologist referral and talk to them about the least invasive thing you can do -- I was back on my feet after a few days, no scarring or bleeding.

So having it done next week, bit nervous when I think about it but what can I do :p So yeah wish me luck, I'll try and post the odd thing here about it afterwards.

Ok did it Monday, not too bad waiting round in the hospital was so frustrating.

Told to have a bath on weds (today) so getting ready for that. The head sensitivity is so annoying but no real pain other than that.

The dressing actually came off when I peed for the first time so they gave me another one and instructions how to replace it yesterday which I did. Currently I'm basically just letting it hang out, looks ok, had some drops of blood on the dressing yesterday and this morning but nothing big.

So yeah it's going ok just time seems to go so slow. Kinda dreading the bath since its so sensitive but hey gotta be done.

It looks ok touch wood.

Should I be encouraging the head to rub on anything or just leave it?

The first one will be the worst, but it really won't be that bad. Don't use any harsh soaps for a while around the area, it is best just to put some salt in and you will actually find it really soothing, and it will encourage healing and most importantly, it'll help with sensitivity issues.

Once the first bandage came off did you bandage it again for sleeping or just leave it??

I left it, but it came off after 2 days which is what the doctor said should happen.

To sleep I put on pretty tight underwear and used some gauze with a ton of vaseline on it over the tip. The tight underwear also restricted the problem (somewhat) of nighttime erections (i still had to stand up pretty fast and think of Mary Harney in a bikini)

8 Days

So basically a week since the op and it seems to be healing grand, still sensitivity but massively reduced from the early days. Kinda wish it'd hurry along a bit more, how long was it before you guys could actually use it sexually? :)

Also on a side note I'm so amazed by how polarizing a tiny bit of skin on the penis seems to be, before I got it done looking online I encountered an array of different sites that either advocate for or against circumcision.

Mister R wrote: »
    8 Days

So basically a week since the op and it seems to be healing grand, still sensitivity but massively reduced from the early days. Kinda wish it'd hurry along a bit more, how long was it before you guys could actually use it sexually? :)

Also on a side note I'm so amazed by how polarizing a tiny bit of skin on the penis seems to be, before I got it done looking online I encountered an array of different sites that either advocate for or against circumcision.

30 days minimum, most doctors will probably say 6 weeks to err on the side of caution. As my own doctor said "you only get one.."
    You may find before then that you will come at night - that is pretty normal and shows everything is working well, but i'd wait until 30 days are passed before doing anything.
    In all honesty, for me it was 8 weeks until I was completely back to normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Mister R said,"Also on a side note I'm so amazed by how polarizing a tiny bit of skin on the penis seems to be, before I got it done looking online I encountered an array of different sites that either advocate for or against circumcision."

You may find that those web sites are concerned with neo-natal circumcision carried out without any medical necessity - purely at the whim of parents. I am in that category and have always hated having been circumcised.

I'm sure you guys have had some considerable relief by getting yourselves circumcised. I hope that you were advised about, and tried, methods which would have conserved the foreskin before resorting to circumcision. I'm also sure that you would not do this to your new born sons on the off-chance that they would need it in their adult life.

Iderown wrote: »
    Mister R said,"Also on a side note I'm so amazed by how polarizing a tiny bit of skin on the penis seems to be, before I got it done looking online I encountered an array of different sites that either advocate for or against circumcision."

You may find that those web sites are concerned with neo-natal circumcision carried out without any medical necessity - purely at the whim of parents. I am in that category and have always hated having been circumcised.

I'm sure you guys have had some considerable relief by getting yourselves circumcised. I hope that you were advised about, and tried, methods which would have conserved the foreskin before resorting to circumcision. I'm also sure that you would not do this to your new born sons on the off-chance that they would need it in their adult life.

It's a great point you raise.

I've a two-year old son and I think we can all agree that I'm a pretty strong advocate for the circ - but purely for medical reasons. There's no way in hell I'd get my son circumcised on the off-chance, instead what I'll try to do is bring him up in a way that he feels comfortable asking for help from me or from a doctor if he encounters problems in later life, and not be like his old man who kept it to himself for the best part of 10 years before getting help.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi Guys,

40 Y.O here that 'suffered' all my life with extremely tight foreskin, traditional sex was a no no. I managed to work around as you do but never happy. I cost me relationships & it cost me severe anxiety over years.

One day with drink onboard and one night stand decided to ask herself to just go for it.... fook me, she retracted it over the head but was the most painful thing i've ever experienced. Followed by panic and I couldn't undo it... spend 30mins in sheer panic in the bathroom by myself... got it back God knows how and vowed never again.

I decided I was born like this be a man suck it up and get on with it. Thats the only thing to do, any missus who has an issue with it is not worth keeping!

Anyways, I met a new GF in December and we really hit it off... so much so that I used every fibre in my body to visit the GP to chat it over. Cold sweats, no sleep the previous night etc

I walked in waffled on about pain in my leg!! and then threw in a 'by the way, bit embarrassing but...' straight away he had me drop the cacks and first comment was "my boy you need the snip" followed by "WTF took you so long to get this sorted?"

Now I never proclaim to be smart but I'm no dope... I couldn't answer him, for the life of me 20 odd years of worrying and thinking about it daily made no sense and as I write this now, I'm not embarrassed but ashamed it took me so long. I'm thinking of all the relationships I messed up and I might have been married with kids etc if only.

Hey ho, no regrets. Everything happens for a reason and maybe thats true, I got to meet terrific gal last month who knows?

I was referred anyways to Urologist who concurred with GP and as on aviva got appointment for 4days later... now thats quick. I read someone last night who quoted Shakespeare and said 'a job that needs doing, needs doing quickly'... couldn't agree more.

Next drama for me was that Circ was under general anesthetic so no driving or taxi, MUST be collected... balls, I wanted to keep this low key plus I've not been intimate with new GF who is away so traumatized over do i ring her and explain or just go to ground till I'm healed plus who TF do I ask for a lift.

Simples, I ain't planning on this messing up another relationship so I rang her in the States and spluttered it out... she was great and totally supportive, I explained my logic of ringing her and not deferring or going to ground and really think she appreciated the call.

Next drama lift, again simples - Parents. I just drove over last wednesday and told 'em over the kitchen table. Once I started, It was so easy, all they asked was am I sure this is right decision and nothing else serious.

Infact scariest thing was mother told me she knows 'loads' of guys that have had the circ... not sure how to read that LOL!!

So cut to this morning(pardon the pun) I was in hospital for 0700 for 0730 start. Filled out usual forms and waited to be called.

0730 on the button up to the ward I go, strip and get into poxy gown and answer loads more questions then down to theatre at 0830.

woke up in recovery at 1030, back in ward at 1115.

Seriously guys, nothing. No pain whatsoever. spooky!!

Napped on and off all day, had a bitta toast and tea and about 3pm went for a leak. I knew from this thread to sit down rather than spray everywhere. No pain and uneventful.

That was till I was leaving the bathroom... felt lightheaded and out of breath. Found the emergency cord just in case and when i got too dizzy pulled it as I sank to the floor...

Sounds dramatic but not really. not my proudest moment though on all fours on jacks floor with my poxy nightgown open and my battered/bruised dick swinging down.... when two nurses rushed in and had me sorted in 5mins. I'd just about fainted but head down below heart, breathing and cold water on my head had me right as rain.

They kept me in an extra 2hrs after this just incase, before I checked out i had the pleasure of another sitdown slash whilst chatting to a nurse at the open door.... one for the bucket list lads !!!

Anyways checked out at 6pm and home now with lad hangin out to breath. Still no pain but am takin only paracetamol...

The lad is sad looking.... Urologist told me, showers not bath only after 48hrs. Remove dressing after 48hrs. Paracetamol as I need it and best advise rest and keep it clean(twice a day) after 48hrs.

Anyways, this thread kept me focused and MADE me go through with it...

I really liked the daily dairys, so will be doing one for anyone who's imminent or considering the circ

Catch up tomorrow...
    Bons Boy

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but anyway... I used to suffer from phimosis (couldn't pull foreskin back much at all). I didn't realise I had problem until I was 20, when I did some research. I only started masturbating at about 16 and even then I just did it with the foreskin covering the head. I was never sexually active I was 21. My foreskin eventually became loose enough that it could go back over the head. However, the part underneath, the ''glans'' or ''bell-end'' or whatever, is still very sensitive. I assumed this would get better quickly but it hasn't really at all. I try touching it and washing it all over as much as possible but it doesn't seem to be helping.

I'v only had sex a couple of times and it's always been pretty uncomfortable. When I put a condom on I can never seem to keep my erection. When I don't wear one it's either the same story or else I just ejaculate too quickly. These problems could be just because of me feeling nervous but TBH even the thought of putting my uncovered penis into a tight vagina makes me wince, because of the sensitivity I feel. It's an odd combination of pleasure and discomfort. Can anyone tell me is this normal and will it get better if I start having sex more consistently? I'm 24 now btw, these problems have bothered me for a long time. Girls always wonder why I'm seemingly not interested in sex, but it's really because I'm too embarassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dura01

:(HI All

I had it done nearly 14 months ago and suffered a bad infection afterwards.
    And it the scar tissue is still sore in places even to touch and very sore to touch with an erection and loss of sensativity.and it looks like a boch job , I went back to the to the doctor who preformed the operation 3 months after and he said to use Instagel but had to use large amount of it jost to kill the pain . I went back to the gp @ 10 months and she suggested using a comdom for play if you know what I mean, I,m going back to see the gp next week as it is not improving and I know she is going to suggest to go back to the surgoen who preformed the op but on sure about that option if he could not do it right the first time she I pay him to correct it ,
    I would like to here your comments on this as not sure what to do.

Regards
    Dura01

Bons Boy wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

40 Y.O here that 'suffered' all my life with extremely tight foreskin, traditional sex was a no no. I managed to work around as you do but never happy. I cost me relationships & it cost me severe anxiety over years.

Well done my friend. Well done. Delighted for you - good man :)
    That's not because I want everyone in Ireland to get the op, it's because you had an embarrassing issue that was causing you grief and you got it sorted - no better feeling eh?
    Not sure this is the right place to ask, but anyway... I used to suffer from phimosis (couldn't pull foreskin back much at all). I didn't realise I had problem until I was 20, when I did some research. I only started masturbating at about 16 and even then I just did it with the foreskin covering the head. I was never sexually active I was 21. My foreskin eventually became loose enough that it could go back over the head. However, the part underneath, the ''glans'' or ''bell-end'' or whatever, is still very sensitive. I assumed this would get better quickly but it hasn't really at all. I try touching it and washing it all over as much as possible but it doesn't seem to be helping.

To be honest with you, I can't really offer you any suggestions except that this issue is causing you more hassle than it needs to, and if you went to the doctors today to talk about, you'd start feeling better tomorrow. All I can do is urge you not to put it off for too much longer.

dura01 wrote: »
    :(HI All

I had it done nearly 14 months ago and suffered a bad infection afterwards.
    And it the scar tissue is still sore in places even to touch and very sore to touch with an erection and loss of sensativity.and it looks like a boch job , I went back to the to the doctor who preformed the operation 3 months after and he said to use Instagel but had to use large amount of it jost to kill the pain . I went back to the gp @ 10 months and she suggested using a comdom for play if you know what I mean, I,m going back to see the gp next week as it is not improving and I know she is going to suggest to go back to the surgoen who preformed the op but on sure about that option if he could not do it right the first time she I pay him to correct it ,
    I would like to here your comments on this as not sure what to do.

Regards
    Dura01

Come back and tell us what the GP says and we can take it from there. By all means, if she suggests you go back to the same surgeon again, tell her what you told us - you're not being unreasonable. In fact, if anything, you're being too reasonable - I'd start kicking up a bit of a fuss if I were you, and let them know that you're not willing to put up with it anymore. Do let us know how you get on.

Well guys,

Into day 3 post op and the hardest thing is the boredom... Seriously cabin fever is starting to set in.

Been in doors since Friday with himself drapped out over the PJ's for some air at all times except sleeping.

Every day gets better, sensitivity is now just that and not hyper anymore, took the bandage off yesterday in salt bath and whilst a bit painful was nothing really, just took it nice and slow.

I made an excuse for work today and will think about venturing out Thursday or Friday this week that'll be day 6 or 7.

For sleeping I bought gauze and Vaseline but thought it might slow down the drying out/healing process so have resorted to wrapping himself in soft baggage with head exposed and held securely by surgical tape.... Worked for me, healing seems fine.... Peeling has started this morning and can touch himself gently and don't jump when it brushes of anything.

I was worried about midnight erections but to be honest the not drinking late and sleeping in the foetal position is working for me... I do wonder if I'm lucky cause I'm definetly a grower not a shower so this might be helping. First time I ever considered myself lucky for a small lad ;-)

As a grower my line of stitches is covered by foreskin when flaccid, wondering should I make an effort to let the air at it or just let it be??

Also taking salt bath in the morning since yesterday and dip in cup of salty water before bed, I'm a bit paranoid about infection and think rest/cleanliness & air are your three biggest allies in getting back on your feet ASAP.

Will update this daily from now as the confidence I got from past threads really raally helped me through this...

It is scary, but if it needs doing.... It needs doing.

tbh wrote: »
    Well done my friend. Well done. Delighted for you - good man :)
    That's not because I want everyone in Ireland to get the op, it's because you had an embarrassing issue that was causing you grief and you got it sorted - no better feeling

100% TBH.... No better feeling, well maybe when he's back in action ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 dura01

Thanks very much for the reply, I will keep you posted

• Advertisement

Day 14

From reading the thread people say days 7-10 would show a big improvement and they were right, I basically going about my daily life not a bother now, still put gauze on when did people start going gauze free, I haven't tried it without, maybe I'm just over cautious.

Still a few stitches left in and the scar line kinda swollen but some other posts suggest this can happen, its not sore just a bit more swollen than everything else down there.

Getting sexually frustrated though :)
    Erections however are nowhere near as uncomfortable as a week ago they just come a go with only a minor twinge.

Advertisement