Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 going2aus

Iderown wrote: »
    going2aus - I'm a once-a-year visitor to the health centre. Not penis repated problems. Blood pressure, blood fats, diet, exercise problems. I always type up a list of 6 or 7 points and questions beforehand and give a copy to the doc. This helps to keep the consultation relevant.
    Why don't you start a list now?
    good idea. was thinking of doing something like that going to make app for next week .

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

I am 17 and I can't fully retract the foreskin due to it being so tight . I am embaressed to tell the patents but would not have isdues with going to a GP, perferably not my usual one, can anyone offer me advice on what to do.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I am 17 and I can't fully retract the foreskin due to it being so tight . I am embaressed to tell the patents but would not have isdues with going to a GP, perferably not my usual one, can anyone offer me advice on what to do.?

Dude, I totally get that you're embarrassed, but here's the thing. At 17, it's very unlikely that it will be practical for you to get whatever help you need (might not be a circ, remember) without telling your parents. Quite aside from the consent issue, it's expensive if you go privately. Here's my advice - have a chat with one of your parents today and just let them know what's happening, and that you'd like to see a doctor. Don't make it into a huge deal, because it isn't a huge deal - don't try to pretent like it isn't embarrassing, because it is. But once you've told your folks, it won't be embarrassing anymore - I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 glynandpam

I have had a Circumcision nearly 5 weeks ago and have got a problem as the Frenulum is sticking out only attached at the bottom and looks wrong as i have looked at others that have been done. Now do u think i would have a case against the hospital as they have excuse the pun but cocked it up. Not sure if i should go to a solicitor not sure if this is the right place for this if not could someone point me in the right direction ty :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

First and foremost you should pay a visit to your urologist/surgeon before worrying about taking drastic action.

People react differently to surgery and as such,the healing time is different for everyone,especially for surgery that causes aesthetic change.

If you aren't happy with what they say then I'd advise getting a second opinion before doing anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 finno26

Hey guys,

I am just over two weeks after my op. Few questions for those of you who have had it done.

What kind of cut shape/scar did you have. Mine is v-shaped, frenelum still intact?

My stitches are still in and some scabs from where there was bleeding, but all is well on the mend healing wise. The main question I have is this. I have noticed that when I have an erection, that my penis is not as long as it used to be. Please tell me that this is because of the stitches!!! It seems obvious that this is the case because the stitches are holding my shaft skin to the 'cut' until it knits together nicely.

There is no infection or anything, I'd just like to hear if anyone else noticed the same thing after their op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

finno26 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I am just over two weeks after my op. Few questions for those of you who have had it done.

What kind of cut shape/scar did you have. Mine is v-shaped, frenelum still intact?

My stitches are still in and some scabs from where there was bleeding, but all is well on the mend healing wise. The main question I have is this. I have noticed that when I have an erection, that my penis is not as long as it used to be. Please tell me that this is because of the stitches!!! It seems obvious that this is the case because the stitches are holding my shaft skin to the 'cut' until it knits together nicely.

There is no infection or anything, I'd just like to hear if anyone else noticed the same thing after their op?

It's all about perception to be honest with you. Also...it is only 2 weeks into recovery. The stitches will pull the erection slightly, but also there is still a lot of tissue healing going on. Also...when I had my stitches in, i tried to get rid of erections ASAP, so kudos on taking the time to measure :)

Even 6 weeks into recovery and back on the horse, it took a couple of more weeks for it to return to what it used to look like (with the obvious exception).
    I'll be honest, mine actually looked longer after the op, and my wife (a doctor no less, so either should know better or is flattering me) feels it is a bit thicker than before.

Then again, perception is a funny thing

It's all about perception to be honest with you. Also...it is only 2 weeks into recovery. The stitches will pull the erection slightly, but also there is still a lot of tissue healing going on. Also...when I had my stitches in, i tried to get rid of erections ASAP, so kudos on taking the time to measure :)

Even 6 weeks into recovery and back on the horse, it took a couple of more weeks for it to return to what it used to look like (with the obvious exception).
    I'll be honest, mine actually looked longer after the op, and my wife (a doctor no less, so either should know better or is flattering me) feels it is a bit thicker than before.

Then again, perception is a funny thing

well haven't had time to measure it, i can just tell from looking at it. definitely shorter. over everything else, this has me worried. Yes i agree it's probably the stitches and skin healing, but i'd just like to know if anyone else experienced the same thing.

also, the swelling has gone down and it does appear to be thicker, i'm just hoping to hell, the shortness is down to stiches and the skin healing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

finno26 wrote: »
    well haven't had time to measure it, i can just tell from looking at it. definitely shorter. over everything else, this has me worried. Yes i agree it's probably the stitches and skin healing, but i'd just like to know if anyone else experienced the same thing.

also, the swelling has gone down and it does appear to be thicker, i'm just hoping to hell, the shortness is down to stiches and the skin healing.
    when i was worrying about the same thing I read a pretty funny thing

When you chop the arms off a jumper, your arm stays the same size....

the docs did nothing that can affect your length, relax and just wait it out.

when i was worrying about the same thing I read a pretty funny thing

When you chop the arms off a jumper, your arm stays the same size....

the docs did nothing that can affect your length, relax and just wait it out.

thanks dude! Glad to know I'm the only one who this happened to, or worried.

• Advertisement

Docs app in the morning .hopefully i won't be too embarrased to bring it up after this amount of time working up to it

going2aus wrote: »
    Docs app in the morning .hopefully i won't be too embarrased to bring it up after this amount of time working up to it

the most embarrassing point of the whole experience are the three seconds before you say "it's a little bit embarrassing but..." - once those words are out, the rest is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Great thread... good to know its common!
    I've been to doc and tried creams with little effectiveness.
    Have now got appointment with urologist. Dr reckoned full circumcision not required (as foreskin can retract, it's just v tight) and a slight op to release was required.
    Has anyone got similar done? Seem to be a lot of full jobs here.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Great thread... good to know its common!
    I've been to doc and tried creams with little effectiveness.
    Have now got appointment with urologist. Dr reckoned full circumcision not required (as foreskin can retract, it's just v tight) and a slight op to release was required.
    Has anyone got similar done? Seem to be a lot of full jobs here.
    I was at the doc today she said i don't need a circ she gave me a cream call dioderm to put on twice a day.and told me to keep retracting the skin and it will loosen more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 unsuir

Hey everyone,

This thread has been truly invaluable to me, I've had trouble seeking out advice for a few years now, but I finally mustered up the courage and went to my GP a month ago.

He referred me to a urologist but seemed to think circ was too extreme and unnecessary.

Anyway I went to the urologist and he immediately put me down for a circumcision. In the haste, I didn't get to question why exactly it's necessary for me to have one.

I do indeed have a tight foreskin, I can't retract it fully, I never could, however I don't live in pain - I can live a normal healthy everyday life not being circumcised, so why should I put myself through it?

I am a virgin however so I don't know how it behaves during sex, but should fear of the unknown really be a reason to get this done?

I know some guys that have normal sex life, that also have phimosis, so if its not absolutely necessary to retract it, need circumcision be necessary either?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭Photoshop

going2aus wrote: »
    I was at the doc today she said i don't need a circ she gave me a cream call dioderm to put on twice a day.and told me to keep retracting the skin and it will loosen more.

Good stuff.

I had the same problem when I was in school, oldest brother Shane used to take the piss about it, faulty dick lol.

I used to put the cream on in the shower everyday, was much easier with the hot water and steam, very little pain that way.

After a few weeks everything was loose, did get a fright when the skin went all the way back the first time and I couldn't get it back into position.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mengele

how long before you can drive comfortably after getting it done? cant afford to take much time off work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 unsuir

I know what you mean Photoshop, and I'm quite anxious putting myself in those kinda situations for that reason. But, reading the following post afew pages ago prompted me to post in the first place.
    I can't retract my foreskin at all. How common is this? I never thought about it before reading this thread.

I'm never in any discomfort.

Why should I consider circumcision?

So I'm asking, is there anyone out there, like OnTheCounter? That is, you can't retract your foreskin, but have a comfortable sex life?

mengele wrote: »
    how long before you can drive comfortably after getting it done? cant afford to take much time off work.

if you're driving a limo, a couple of days - if it's a JCB, I'd give it a week :)

unsuir wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

This thread has been truly invaluable to me, I've had trouble seeking out advice for a few years now, but I finally mustered up the courage and went to my GP a month ago.

He referred me to a urologist but seemed to think circ was too extreme and unnecessary.

Anyway I went to the urologist and he immediately put me down for a circumcision. In the haste, I didn't get to question why exactly it's necessary for me to have one.

I do indeed have a tight foreskin, I can't retract it fully, I never could, however I don't live in pain - I can live a normal healthy everyday life not being circumcised, so why should I put myself through it?

I am a virgin however so I don't know how it behaves during sex, but should fear of the unknown really be a reason to get this done?

I know some guys that have normal sex life, that also have phimosis, so if its not absolutely necessary to retract it, need circumcision be necessary either?

Hi - will reply to your op. The simple answer is you shouldn't get the op done if you're unsure, you can always change your mind if you decide not to get it done, but you can't if you decide to do it.

So basically - if you can't retract your foreskin, (I'm speaking from experience rather than any medical experience - I am not a doctor) - it makes it difficult to keep clean and it means that you feel less during sex. On the first point - this may not be a problem for you, for me, as a diabetic, I was prone to yeast infections and it was very itchy and uncomfortable. Since the snip I'm an clean as a whistle and as fresh as a september morning in Donegal. On the second point - you don't have anything to compare it with, so I'll just say that it my experience, sex before the op was ok, sex after the op is much better.

re your questions - have you an email address for the urologist - maybe you could put your questions in an email and send them in? at the very least I'd write them down before your next visit - and if you don't have a next visit scheduled, I'd ask for one. This is a relatively big step you're taking -don't feel pressured into it. If you're not sure, do nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If its not bothering you, I'd suggest asking your GP about alternative, less invasive treatment.

You can use steroid cream and gentle stretching exercises to loosen it up. It might take a while, but, for some guys it works extremely well. So, definitely worth trying before moving on to more complicated solutions !

If its really problematic and you need a circumcision don't worry about it too much either. Sometimes it's a good option but just don't feel at all pressured into it and seek a second or even third opinion if you're not happy with the approach the urologist is taking.

I had problems with mine for a long time and tried loosening it. It didn't really solve the problems and it remained tight and a bit sore during sex. So, a couple of years ago I decided to bite the bullet and get it circumcised. (In my mid 20s)

It wasn't that bad to be honest. I've had far more traumatic ops (like wisdom teeth!!)

I was 'out of service' for about 2 weeks and 'full service was resumed' after about a month.

It solved all the problems, didn't really make any difference to sensitivity during sex in my case anyway.

Lookswise, I think it looks a lot better than it did when it was tight and I haven't had any complaints !

The only big difference is you may need to adjust your masturbation technique and invest in lubricants but, it's not that big a deal.

Just don't worry about it though and if it isn't causing you grief at the moment, maybe go with the least invasive options first and only surgical stuff if that hasn't worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If its not bothering you, I'd suggest asking your GP about alternative, less invasive treatment.

You can use steroid cream and gentle stretching exercises to loosen it up. It might take a while, but, for some guys it works extremely well. So, definitely worth trying before moving on to more complicated solutions !

If its really problematic and you need a circumcision don't worry about it too much either. Sometimes it's a good option but just don't feel at all pressured into it and seek a second or even third opinion if you're not happy with the approach the urologist is taking.

I had problems with mine for a long time and tried loosening it. It didn't really solve the problems and it remained tight and a bit sore during sex. So, a couple of years ago I decided to bite the bullet and get it circumcised. (In my mid 20s)

It wasn't that bad to be honest. I've had far more traumatic ops (like wisdom teeth!!)

I was 'out of service' for about 2 weeks and 'full service was resumed' after about a month.

It solved all the problems, didn't really make any difference to sensitivity during sex in my case anyway.

Lookswise, I think it looks a lot better than it did when it was tight and I haven't had any complaints !

The only big difference is you may need to adjust your masturbation technique and invest in lubricants but, it's not that big a deal.

Just don't worry about it though and if it isn't causing you grief at the moment, maybe go with the least invasive options first and only surgical stuff if that hasn't worked.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 glynandpam

I had the OP on 20th March. It was a bit painful trying to sit down afterwards but not as bad as I thought, going to the toilet I still have to sit down as with no skin there it comes out fast and hard. still havent done the deed as the frelenium is like a skintag so I need to go back in for another op. when hard it pulls at the frlenium part uncomfortable but will be corrected when I have the op. I am on the cancellations list as I can go in anytime. I'm annoyed but hey ho it could have been worse. I dont regret the op as the skin was well unbearable. it was 5 days until I could drive again. but aslong as you keep it clean it will heal well.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Mother of God: I wish this circumcision thread was knocking around when I was going from a turtleneck to a sharkbite. I didn't realise that this problem was so common.

I had my op done about 5 years ago when. I had problems with a tight foreskin but did nowt about it until the skin got stuck behind the head and I had to go to a hospital at 4am to get it looked at. Up to that point sex was sore but I managed, while masturbation was always fine. Thankfully the lady I was with at the time was very understanding but I'm not fully sure she realised how painful it was. The nurse said everything was fine as she peeled the skin back and I cringed with fright. I had heard about guys needing to get theirs jabbed with needles to bleed it out and relieve the pressure so I guess I got lucky.

I went to my doctor at home and he told me I had 3 courses of action: use cream and stretching exercises, get a dorsal slit or the full job done and passed me onto the consultant. After meeting with the urologist, he told me to forget about creams and that I needed to get the operation as I had a bad case of phimosis.

I didn't have the best recovery from surgery though - I had to get 3 hits of morphine after the operation and it was really sore for a few days. When you pee after the op it feels a bit weird too. I told the doctor this but he said that recovery resulted in different effects for different people although he was surprised that I needed morphine for it.

I did have one scary incident while recovering. After a week I woke up with morning wood and felt a trickle. When I checked it there was blood and I rang the consultant and he told me that it was a good sign as it was recovering and was now strong enough to tear the stitches. I was still a bit freaked out but things improved massively after that.

I kept it clean but may have used one of the creams for longer than I should have as it had this white drying effect on it, but it went away again: always read the label before using medicines is the advice here.

I had to wait a few weeks before getting back in action but I noticed there was greater sensation and it felt much better both for my lady friend and for me, so the op did the trick alright.

TL; DR
    Before: :mad: :(
    After: :D
    Yes.

It was painful when it happened but it was the fear that it would be permanently stuck or I would have done lasting damage that had me freaking out, but your own reaction might be different. It's still not nice and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. If the doc says you need to get the op, get the op. I wish I had got it done years before I did. I have the consolation of getting to call my fella Jesus because of his crown of thorns thanks to the op.

There's always a silver lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

I went to my doctor at home and he told me I had 3 courses of action: use cream and stretching exercises, get a dorsal slit or the full job done and passed me onto the consultant. After meeting with the urologist, he told me to forget about creams and that I needed to get the operation as I had a bad case of phimosis.
    It seems unfortunate that you did not get to try the stretching option before going for amputative surgery - circumcision.
    I am one of those who got circumcised soon after birth for no medical reason. Spent near a life-time hating it. Gentle skin expansion techniques have allowed me to "grow" a very reasonable looking foreskin. If I can expand enough skin to make a foreskin, you guys should be able to expand the hole at the end (and/or the frenulum) enough to make your foreskins comfortably usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

I don't miss it tbh, and I'm just glad I can have sex without worrying about getting stuck as it were. I haven't had any women complain about it and seeing as I can't change it and it's made things better I'm not going to cry over spilled milk. It was more attached to me than I was to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hey all,
    Looking for places that do circumcision. Mates son is 3 and a half, and my mate is looking to get his son circumcised. Family tradition, and all. Mate was a muslim when he got circumcised himself, but is now christian, and thus doesn't know where to get it done cheaply.

His doctor referred him to a hospital that will charge him €995 (complete package, blood testing, etc) but he doesn't know if he's been taken for a fool or not.

He's getting his son circumcised purely out of tradition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

It's not ethical to do unnecessary mutilative surgery on a minor.

Fair enough if YOU want a "nice scar" around YOUR dick and are willing to risk the possible side- and after-effects.

Advertisement