Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Looking for places that do circumcision. Mates son is 3 and a half, and my mate is looking to get his son circumcised. Family tradition, and all. Mate was a muslim when he got circumcised himself, but is now christian, and thus doesn't know where to get it done cheaply.

His doctor referred him to a hospital that will charge him €995 (complete package, blood testing, etc) but he doesn't know if he's been taken for a fool or not.

Tradition is not a reason to get this done, I really could have done without the operation, but I knew why I needed it done (and the benefits from a medical/physical perspective)

E995 probably sounds about right for the op (you are also paying for the pre/post care and the doctor/nurse needed for the operation, the operating theatre and anaesthetic)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

tbh wrote: »
    He's getting his son circumcised purely out of tradition?
    Not his words exactly, but as he doesn't see why his son wouldn't get the snip. Seems because he got it, and his father got it, etc, that it's all okay, I'm thinking he's doing it due to some traditional sense. He found it surprising that only Jews and Muslims (and a few people for medical reasons) got the snip, and it wasn't "the norm" in Ireland (he has a few muslim / ex-muslim friends).
    Tradition is not a reason to get this done
    I wouldn't call the lad the sharpest knife in the drawer on some issues.
    E995 probably sounds about right for the op (you are also paying for the pre/post care and the doctor/nurse needed for the operation, the operating theatre and anaesthetic)
    Cool, cheers for that. Just wanted to ensure he wasn't getting ripped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Personally, I would try to talk him out of it. The thoughts that he would inflict such a thing on an innocent 3 year old child purely out of "tradition" or whatever is a bit much. It might be the done thing in his homeland and in his culture, but it is most positively NOT the done thing here.

Unless there is a necessary medical reason for it, he should not be doing this to his son. Leave it until the son is of an age where he can understand the possible complications and implication of the surgery and then let him decide. Do not just go and do it for the sake of doing it.

I'd also be surprised if any surgeon in Ireland would do it if there were not medical reasons for doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DazMarz wrote: »
    Personally, I would try to talk him out of it.
    Yeah, Trying to do so. Seems he got the info from nhs.uk and is determined to get it. He repeats that it's not religious at all, but only tradition... FFS! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 going2aus

Photoshop wrote: »
    Good stuff.

I had the same problem when I was in school, oldest brother Shane used to take the piss about it, faulty dick lol.

I used to put the cream on in the shower everyday, was much easier with the hot water and steam, very little pain that way.

After a few weeks everything was loose, did get a fright when the skin went all the way back the first time and I couldn't get it back into position.

Good luck.
    Cheers skin still takes a bit of effort too pull back over but hopefully in time it'll sort it's self out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Gentlemen - I was circumcised a few months after birth. There was no medical reason. Growing up here in Ireland, it was obvious that I was different from the other lads and I grew to dislike (well, hate) the appearance of my penis.
    Forward many years and I discovered that it was possible to restore (by non-surgical means) what looks, and works, very like the real thing. I am a mod on the web site detailed below and I am happy to answer any questions you may have. I post this here in case it happens that men in similar situation find this forum.

Growing Foreskin Restoration Movement Shows Increasing Awareness About Circumcision

Thanks to the Internet, more and more men are learning about circumcision and how it has affected their sex life. A steadily increasing number of men are learning how to restore their foreskin and undo the effects of their circumcision. RestoringForeskin.org is contributing to the growing number of men who are actively doing something about circumcision. RestoringForeskin.org is growing fast and will soon celebrate a membership of 10,000. RestoringForeskin.org is an educational and support site offering a social network for men to share information and experiences concerning foreskin restoration. The online community also welcomes those who wish to advocate against routine infant circumcision.

Foreskin restoration is a process for lengthening the shaft skin of the penis to restore a foreskin. Most men opt for non-surgical foreskin restoration, which is a do-it-yourself process of applying tension to the shaft skin, either manually or by wearing a device. A restored foreskin can give men

+ better sensitivity by protecting the sensitive mucous membranes of the penis
    + restored function by allowing for the gliding action of the foreskin
    + a feeling of being whole again
    + a feeling that the parts that were cut off without their permission have been restored.

RestoringForeskin.org was founded in 2009 to provide support for men as they learned to deal with the side effects of their circumcision. It is a member-sponsored site that focuses on men's issues. The educational section of the website includes a Beginner's Guide, a list of benefits of restoring, and general information on foreskin restoration methods and devices. Also available is a calendar showing meetings of restoration groups. The members' only, support section of the website contains much more detailed information and access to a real-time chat room. Because of the nature of the discussions on the website, membership is limited strictly to adults only.

###

If you'd like more information about this topic please ask or message me.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

DazMarz wrote: »
    I'd also be surprised if any surgeon in Ireland would do it if there were not medical reasons for doing so.

The children's hospital does it for Jews and Muslims if they wish. I recall James Reilly suggesting that it was causing a backlog at the children's hospital. Yeah cause a handful of Jewish and Muslim kids are causing the waiting lists. :rolleyes:

So I had the operation 1 year ago this weekend. I needed it, i had phimosis and frenulum breve.

It all seems so long ago now. The first week was uncomfortable (not painful) and involved a lot of dvd's, ass groove in the couch and getting cooked for :). The only downside was lack of sleep due to erections waking me up 3 or 4 times a night

From week 2, the healing really started to kick in and it went really fast. The most important thing to remember at that point was to keep everything clean and take it easy. I was pretty much back to normal life by 2.5 weeks after the operation, and moved around easily with little or no issues.

Sex was off the agenda for at least 4 weeks, I did have a wet dream around week 2.5 and knocked one out around week 3 as well, so it was clear everything was working well. Normal relations started around week 5 and took it easy for a while. However I suffered no lack of sensation and 1 year on everything is the same.

Aside from that, my operation was medically neccessary and i have NO regrets about it whatsoever. Well I do have one regret, i waited too long to have it - if I had had it in my early 20's, i think my mid 20's would have been slightly different

Agree I had it done nearly 6 months ago now and wish I did it earlier I'm 22 but wish I'd just gone the GP when I first realised I needed to, 18-19. Having phimosis sorted has given me way more confidence with regards sex, so yeah kinda wish I'd had it done sooner. My healing timeline was similar to yours.

I'm not exactly Casanova now but I feel way more confident about sex and hooking up, whereas in the past it always worried me cause it obviously didn't look normal down there. Regards sensation I've found it better down there, but then again that could be a psychological thing on my part cause I've more confidence. I heard there are mental aspects to sex so maybe that's part of it.

But like you I'm glad it's done now, I feel much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lemon_Head

Hey, like a lot of the guys posting here I have Phimosis and I'm just wondering if anyone has had the Preputioplasty procedure done? I had a Frenectomy done 2 years ago in the hope it would sort the tight/unretractable foreskin but it didn't... It did nothing really. I'm debating circumcision now as it seems to be the only guaranteed way to sort it but the Preputioplasty procedure I've read up on seems like a less invasive option. I know some people are going to say "Go to your GP" but when I went to him to get the initial referral for the urologist 2 years ago, I asked him about 'partial circumcision' and he told me plainly theres no such thing! He said its either (full) circumcision or nothing!?! I know this isn't the case but it's also the reason I won't go to him to ask about the Preputioplasty procedure because I don't see him even acknowledging it... The urologist who performed the Frenectomy only offered me two options (circ or fren). Does anyone know if the Preputioplasty procedure is available in Ireland or has anyone had it done outside of the country? All I need is the name of a Urologist/Doctor or whatever. I really want to get this sorted ASAP as I've dealt with Phimosis for 27 years and I'm done! Any and all help appreciated! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 hello there folks

I'm going for a Frenuloplasty next week in beaumont, it was a quick appointment sorta thing so i've not got any information about aftercare. Anyone care to recount their own experiences, do's and donts

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just after getting a circumcision yesterday, and ever since I've had problems urinating. I need to go, but can't really of my own free will. It's like there could be something blocked perhaps. I'm taking anti-inflammatories, as prescribed, hoping they'd help. But I'm wondering has anyone else come across this. I've tried googling it and couldn't find anything, and had a look on this thread, and couldn't find anything here either.

Help put my mind at ease please! :(

If you are really concerned, please go the doctor!

I wasn't allowed leave hospital until I had urinated- aside from stage fright of 2 nurses watching me, I had no issues in going

I was the same, had to pee before I could leave hospital although nobody watched me just asked me.

As was said, if you are worried see your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Great and informative thread by the way.

I recently developed a whitish ring on my foreskin that makes it all very very tight, self diagnosis on google indicated I have BXO, which causes me a degree of worry as it sounds like quite an unpleasant afflication. I am off to see the doc this week, but can anyone here shed any llght on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

It's the poster from yesterday with the problems urinating.

Everything's fine today thankfully, was able to go this morning with no problems. I wasn't allowed leave the hospital until I had urinated also, in fact I think I went twice. No problems this morning, I'm putting yesterday down to nerves and possible inflammation.

Thanks for your help regardless!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

Waestrel wrote: »
    Great and informative thread by the way.

I recently developed a whitish ring on my foreskin that makes it all very very tight, self diagnosis on google indicated I have BXO, which causes me a degree of worry as it sounds like quite an unpleasant afflication. I am off to see the doc this week, but can anyone here shed any llght on this?

Self quoting for publin edification. I went to the doc today, and yes, I do indeed have BXO. He prescribed steroid cream and even after a few hours, it seems to have helped. It loosens the skin and removes a lot of the tightness. I went to the <Mod snip>, very professional and reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Haz619

Hey all, i recently got a full circumcision done due to medical reasons. I went up to Dublin to the <Mod snip> to have it done last Friday, All was going well until i had an incident one night when i was asleep, ****ing painful! but anyway today when i took my bandage off i had a look. The bottom and the sides seem to be healing nicely but pretty much the entire top row of stitches have separated, I think this may be a combination of washing and nighttime "incidents". I have read that the healing process is much more unpleasant and takes a lot longer if your stitches separate. I have called my doctor and he dosnt seem to think anything of it. But i have read that split stiches also leave kind of harder skin afterwards and end result dosnt look as good. My doctor said that i wouldn't ever get stitched back up and the normal thing to do would be to just leave it. He is a good doctor but i just want some opinions of people who have had it done.

I have read most of the "My circumcision story" post, but my post is aimed more at stitches tearing and the end result of it.

Thanks

Edit.
    Ahh its was moved into here

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭apkmbarry

I'm in need of some form of Circumcision. Being a student, I need the best value for money service, as in, in-out here's my money.

Anyone reccommend anywhere reasonable?

I've heard of the <Mod snip>?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can you not get it done for free on the public health system if you've been referred by your GP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭apkmbarry

seamus wrote: »
    Can you not get it done for free on the public health system if you've been referred by your GP?

I'm not a massive fan of waiting to be honest. I can earn the money from work, I'm just wondering how much it will cost.

I had it done in <Mod snip> just over 2 weeks ago, he was very nice and genuine i could talk to him about it and not feel at all embarrassed, i didnt take any sedation so i was away during the op. We were just chatting away, he made it a very non traumatic experience. I would defiantly recommend the <Mod snip>

You can get it done on the public health system. but the wait time is about 2 years anywhere in the country. You need to be refereed by ur GP, If you say that you are in alot of pain ur GP might be able to get you up the list a bit (this is what mine did) but the list is still close to a year.

The <Mod snip> cost me 730 euro without sedation, an extra 40 with but believe me its not needed unless you are extremely uneasy.

Its been over 2 weeks now and i have to say that it looks great, lets be honest, it does matter.. the cut is very strait and the amount that was taken off is perfect, not too tight, not too loose. He asked me how exactly i wanted it to be like afterwards and he was spot on with it.. Some private circumcision clinics require you to get urself "hard" so that they can draw a line on ur foreskin.

Overall a success for me, its great not having pain anymore. If anyone has any questions about my experience id be happy to answer any questions, just send me a pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mod Note:
    Folks,
    long standing rule of the forum is that we don't allow you to name doctors or clinics.
    Panthro

sorry, pm me for any info then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jim_07

Hi ,I'm a 27 year old male who has been suffering from a tight foreskin since birth. I recently, after years of struggling with a tight foreskin and avoiding relationships , plucked up the courage to go and visit my local GP about it . I wish I had came across this thread earlier and gone a long time ago as this thread has completely put my mind at ease and made me realize there are loads of more people in the same position as me ,and this is a far more common condition than I thought. I used to think I was alone with this problem as there is very little said or heard about it in Ireland . Anyway to get to the point ,I was referred by my local GP to go and see a urologist and I was wondering does anyone have any idea how long I could be waiting to see him and does a medical card cover the procedure?. If anyway has any information on this I would really appreciate a reply thanks :) ...

The waiting list is about 2 years.. meybe 1 if you tell ur doctor that ur in alot of pain

It is covered under the medical card... but it would cost you about 100 quid in a public hospital if u dont have one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Haz619 wrote: »
    The waiting list is about 2 years.. meybe 1 if you tell ur doctor that ur in alot of pain

It is covered under the medical card... but it would cost you about 100 quid in a public hospital if u dont have one

My hubby had it done publicly recentky and only waited about 3 months from seeing the consultant (this is in Dublin). He waited about 6 weeks for the consultant appointment after being referred by his GP so it was quick enough - 4/5 months in all. We paid €75 bed charge and that was it. He even had to stay in overnight as he had a funny turn after the anaesthetic and they were really very good to him.

He's been really open with his mates about it and it turns out a few of them had it done for medical reasons in adulthood but just didn't say anything. So if you're worried at all it's really very common.

I'm going into to sixth year in September and would prefer to get it done before this as I don't want to have to be taking time off school etc . Anyone know if there are any private clinics in the west of Ireland that perform circumcision ? .pm me please if you have heard of any :)

I was told today by my GP it will take between 9-12 months just to get an appointment to go and see a urologist in galway, presumably it will take another few months then to wait for the actual operation. Does anyone know of anyway to speed up this process or is it possible to get referred to a general surgeon who's waiting lists seem to be far shorter going by accounts giving on this forum previously ? The reason I want to get it done asap is because going by the wait my GP gave me today I will probably be in college by the time it comes around and I would much rather get it done before that !

• Advertisement

save up 800 quid and get it done privately.

Its the only way

There are thousands of people on the waiting list for a free circumcision you will not get put up the list much if at all

Advertisement