Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Haz619

il pm you

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

After putting up with the pain and discomfort of phimosis for a considerable period of time, as a New Year's Resolution I finally decided to go seek help. So I went to my GP in early January, who referred me privately to a urologist. I got to see him after a wait of about 2 months, who diagnosed me with BXO, making either a circumcision necessary and 6 weeks after that I got it done.

On the day of the procedure (done as a day-case), I got a lift to the hospital, checked in around lunchtime, had the operation and was ready to get a lift home again after having urinated at about 7:30. I was expecting to be in pain afterwards but at no stage was I. However, I still needed to take a week off work because the mild discomfort I experienced. The first couple of nights were the worst; indeed I woke several times each night with erections, not the kind of thing you need when recovering from such a procedure! I had to change the dressing daily for the first few days before going without it after about 10 days.

In the weeks afterwards, the stitches only started to dissolve after about 2 weeks. When they were all out after 4 weeks, I had recovered enough to resume intercourse.

Nearly 3 months on, the difference between before and after is like night and day. I am just sorry I didn't seek help before now, but I am so glad I eventually did. Intercourse (using a drop of lubricant) is now not painful at all, in stark contrast to the pain and tightness beforehand. Happily, aside from the loss of the frenulum (the main area of infection), there has been no real decline in the sensitivity of the glans. I had a check-up last week with the urologist, who was delighted with the recovery. And given the cost of the procedure, thank heavens for medical insurance! Overall, it was a complete success.

My advice: go get it sorted ASAP. From doing a bit of reading, BXO can become serious if not treated. Any reservations you have are only in your own head; your GP has seen it all before. And make sure you read through this entire thread. It has certainly been a valuable resource to me and my thanks to all who have contributed their experiences. I am happy to now be able to add mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

guest0813 wrote: »
    After putting up with the pain and discomfort of phimosis for a considerable period of time, as a New Year's Resolution I finally decided to go seek help. So I went to my GP in early January, who referred me privately to a urologist. I got to see him after a wait of about 2 months, who diagnosed me with BXO, making either a circumcision necessary and 6 weeks after that I got it done.

On the day of the procedure (done as a day-case), I got a lift to the hospital, checked in around lunchtime, had the operation and was ready to get a lift home again after having urinated at about 7:30. I was expecting to be in pain afterwards but at no stage was I. However, I still needed to take a week off work because the mild discomfort I experienced. The first couple of nights were the worst; indeed I woke several times each night with erections, not the kind of thing you need when recovering from such a procedure! I had to change the dressing daily for the first few days before going without it after about 10 days.

In the weeks afterwards, the stitches only started to dissolve after about 2 weeks. When they were all out after 4 weeks, I had recovered enough to resume intercourse.

Nearly 3 months on, the difference between before and after is like night and day. I am just sorry I didn't seek help before now, but I am so glad I eventually did. Intercourse (using a drop of lubricant) is now not painful at all, in stark contrast to the pain and tightness beforehand. Happily, aside from the loss of the frenulum (the main area of infection), there has been no real decline in the sensitivity of the glans. I had a check-up last week with the urologist, who was delighted with the recovery. And given the cost of the procedure, thank heavens for medical insurance! Overall, it was a complete success.

My advice: go get it sorted ASAP. From doing a bit of reading, BXO can become serious if not treated. Any reservations you have are only in your own head; your GP has seen it all before. And make sure you read through this entire thread. It has certainly been a valuable resource to me and my thanks to all who have contributed their experiences. I am happy to now be able to add mine.

Nice post..i think all of us think it's going to be painful. The first night for me was the worst, not because of the pain, but I thought that any movement would cause it. Sensitivity is one thing, you can get used to that. The discomfort wore off for me after the stitches started to come out. I took 2 weeks off work, though in fairness I could have done with the one week. But that was in Spain where if I had played my cards right, I could have got 6 weeks out of it (the doctor that signed by sick note was surprised I wanted to head back to work, especially as we were heading into summer)

Hi guys,

I had a circumcision on Wednesday. It's still swollen and bruised. I sent pictures on to the surgeon and he said it looks fine and is healing well.

What way should it be looking after 4 days? Is dark heavy bruising and swelling normal? After how long can I bathe? It has stopped bleeding and stitches look ok. I've been just changing the dressing every day and wiping the area softly with an alcohol cleansing wipe.

I had a shower today but I heard a salt bath is good?

What about vaseline to stop chaffing, is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

From what you said that seems fine for day 4. I didn't use salt I did ask my surgeon and he said you can use salt but its not a must so I didn't bother then.

If I was going anywhere I'd just put vaseline on surgical gauze and wrap it around the head. Although day 4 I was probably just still lying on the bed/couch.

Once week 1 is out of the way the whole process really speeds up, thats what I found anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 transfer fee

Just looking for some advice, am early 20s, and have phimosis as cant retract at any stage. Limited sexual experience, only a couple of painful attempts at intercourse, which has shattered my confidence in that department .
    Looks like I will need to see a doctor, anyone had similar experiences, do things free out ultimately of their own accord with more sex or will I just bite the bullet and see what can be done..
    Thanks/

Mister R wrote: »
    From what you said that seems fine for day 4. I didn't use salt I did ask my surgeon and he said you can use salt but its not a must so I didn't bother then.

If I was going anywhere I'd just put vaseline on surgical gauze and wrap it around the head. Although day 4 I was probably just still lying on the bed/couch.

Once week 1 is out of the way the whole process really speeds up, thats what I found anyway.

Thanks - What sort of dressing should I be using? I've been using Melolin, the one with the shiny side.. But it's quite irritating as I have to use two sheets, as the largest one is not big enough to go fully around. The corners of the sheets seem to irritate the sutures.

Also - How long before I can have a bath? I've had a shower, but was careful not to wet my manhood. I've been just keeping that area clean with the alcohol cleansing wipes. But there is a little bit of caked blood that I can't remove - Don't want to be overly tough incase I damage the sutures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Jim_07

Got a circumcision yesterday ,fairly swollen and sore now ,was just wondering with anybody else who got circumcised was your frenulum removed or left in tact ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tomtom926a

hello everyone. i had my partial circ january of last year. i have one question .. has anyone had any problems with frenulum swelling ? the reason i ask is because every time that particular part of me wakes up the frenulum looks like it was rubbed raw !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anfearbeag

Jim_07 wrote: »
    Got a circumcision yesterday ,fairly swollen and sore now ,was just wondering with anybody else who got circumcised was your frenulum removed or left in tact ?

About half of my frenulum was removed - the rest was 'lengthened' by the surgeon using a series of incisions. I suppose it depends on how tight the circ cut is, and what shape your frenulum is in. I for one dont miss it or notice any loss of sensation in that area, although i do miss the pain and swelling that i used to suffer from regularly before i got it done.
    There must be thousands of guys in ireland suffering all their lives because of problems in this area who should (but dont) get it examined and sorted out like we did.

Well done for taking the right steps and getting your problem fixed properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

budwider wrote: »
    If your suffereing from phimosis(tight forskin) i can't explain how much better the quality of life is when u finally get the op,for a few weeks of mild discomfort,you recieve a lifetime of amazing sex.

*This is my working motto*

Went for a circ yesterday to clear up phimosis, if only I'd known this fcuker was the source of my issues. Tried wang exercises, kegel exercises, mental gynmastics & complete avoidance until finally giving up and getting my testosterone checked, which then turned into an inspection on getting my bloods results (said no to one when I blood was extracted, to give you an indication of how much it affected me!). Was waiting 7 months to find out more about the circumcision, which I honestly did not believe to be the case, then had another doctor look with vagueries about the circumcision until an expert was called in, who immediately pointed to a white ring, explained perfectly to me how it had gotten progressively worse over the past few years & how it would soon get close to closing off, & basically answered my questions the way I would if I knew what was going on with someone else which is fcuking amazing to see. First thing I found was this thread which put me at ease as regards the whole thing, confirmed a lot of the things I'd been going through were not my own struggle (though it fcuking sure felt like it beforehand!) & since then I've been on a roll building up to the big event.

Was in at half 7, had to wait until 1pm due to delays but was fine, someone apparently bled out or something (can't rush genius), but man what nice people. Was prepped by lovely nurses, gassed by more lovely nurses, worked on by unknown saviours then woke up in a ward to feel nothing bad whatsoever... Went back to sleep & was back in my ward at like 5, had some coffee & food then got dressed, peed just a little then was picked up by the most supportive friends a person could have - and all for free through college!

I could walk more or less fine so we got the bus to town, went for some Galway Hooker (gak!) to reel in the new horizons (possible premonitions in that drink right there). While sitting the fcuking bandage came off without me knowing so I limped to the bathroom to pee thinking I'd just re-adjust, peed straight for the first time in my life without needing to aim it (!!!) then put on my pants & nearly died... SENSITIVITY!!! Had to get a taxi straight home, just too painful, too too painful out in town holding my wang wanging a taxi down... Apparently once the gauze-bandage they give you comes off the sensitivity starts to shine through, though it could just be that the drugs coincidentally lost their effect at the same time...

The only issue is the hyper-sensitivity, really wish I had that thing they injected to numb the area :rolleyes: As long as I leave it alone it's fine, but even my leg coming into contact with it is too much right now... I've had no bleeding whatsoever but it still looks like Jabba the Hutt attached to a snail's shell has just eaten a load of crabs, the look of it has been described by a few people in here in the past which is re-assuring but it's hard to believe it'll ever go from looking like a dog-chewed playtoy to something normal... :(

Did tbh's whole salty-dip just there in a soon-to-be-binned tesco jug, then managed to knock over the container of wang-juice in a classy move, but I did think of something which might reduce sensitivity which is carefully hitting it against the walls of the container as it's submerged, you really don't feel pain when you do that, it'd be unthinkable to do that outside the water! I really hope to get over the sensitivity aspect by Monday for college, i.e. to get it to an acceptable level where I can put gauze on to hold it in place & it not be an issue, I just can't miss next week, but there's no way in hell I'd put anything near it now.

A lot of nonsense & unconscious shame (that I consciously reject!) tricked me into avoiding dealing with this for so long, so glad it's over & seeing it all in this thread is more than enough to coax anybody out of their shell. Honesty helps - just feel like slapping people in the face with it to let them know I'm through the worst :cool:

jesus...you went into town after it? I went straight home and slept for a while, then sat on the sofa watching football, eyeing the cat not to walk over me. My poor wife ended up having to take the spare room as i was pretty freaked out about her knocking me.

I didn't leave the house for about 3 or 4 days afterwards, not because of pain but because of sensitivity. Once that went, i was able to wonder around, though was walking funny for a few days, i think more out of fear of anything brushing against the lad rather than any "real" reason.

Yeah I had no desire to leave the bed/sofa for a good 5-7 days. But I agree it was probably due to fear rather than pain.

I was the same regarding how it physically looked, I never imagined it looking like a penis again but it does. Like most other guys on here once you get the first week over you the whole process really flies by. Good look keep us updated if you can :D

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Cheap Cola

I believe I have a case of frenulum breve ( short frenulum), not a severe case, just moderate IMO. I can pull back my foreskin when flaccid without pain, but when it's fully erect I can just barely squeeze it past the head and hurts quite a bit.

I don't want a circumcision, I read that a frenuloplasty can fix this problem. Has anyone else had this done?

Cheap Cola, I had the same problem as you with 'frenulum breve' and i thought that a frenuloplasty would sort it out - but when i went for a consultation (private clinic) the surgeon pointed out that it wouldnt solve the problem fully because scarring of the foreskin had already occurred, coupled with the fact that the skin gets less elastic as we age (esp over 35) so he recommended a frenuloplasty plus a 'loose' circumcision - ie where a section of foreskin containing the scarred portion (which was a thicker white ring) was removed.
    This left me with a much looser and somewhat shorter foreskin; it solved the frenulum breve / mild phimosis problem and even when flaccid the foreskin just about reached to the end of the glans so it was still covered but in a much looser fashion.
    However as the months went by i realised that I didnt like the look or feel of this new style of foreskin (it was neither one thing or another) so eventually I got a second circ done to correct the first one by tightening it up to a full 'classic' circ. This now feels much better and is far more preferable in my own opinion. So my own advice is that once you have any surgery done 'down there' it is no longer the same as it was originally, and any attempt to limit the surgery may actually leave you less satisfied with the result than getting the full job done in the first place. I have had no regrets about the full circ, it functions better in every way and i dont see any downside to it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

CheapCola - you see folk nowadays who have lengthy loops of skin at the ear-lobes. Obviously stretched from what was a small hole piercing.

Is it possible to "fix" a short frenulum by gently stretching it? OK, one would need to be a bit discreet about the doing.

Frenulum is not skin, its connective tissue so its not flexible or elastic to the same extent. if its too short or restrictive, its likely that it has been damaged over time and will have thickened due to scar tissue which will make it even less flexible. It is sometimes possible to have it lengthened by a plastic surgery technique known as frenuloplasty - the surgeon makes a 'z' incision in the frenulum which allows it to become longer - be aware though that a tight or short frenulum is often associated with a tight foreskin which may have been damaged in a similar way, or lengthening the frenulum on its own may not resolve the problem you are experiencing and will leave you disappointed. A professional consultation and examination is the only way to know what is required in any individual's situation. I could recommend a good private clinic if you want to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mengele

I have my operation on a Wednesday in a few weeks. I will report on how I get on after.

I do swimming lessons and the next session is starting next week for 8 weeks. its on Tuesday nights. If I have the op in a Wednesday will I be able to go back swimming the following Tuesday night do ye think? I will already be missing one Tuesday night so im wondering will I skip this round of swimming.

My personal non-professional opinion based on personal experience is that is takes about 10 days for the wound to completely heal over and dry up, so to enter public swimming pool water before then might risk infection. I'd leave it for at least 10 days before swimming - more of a risk that just showering in clean water!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

A quick question , I can't pull it back or anything...But im not in a bit of pain and have sex quite often with no pain either do i still need one do you guys reckon before i go to my GP

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

A quick question , I can't pull it back or anything...But im not in a bit of pain and have sex quite often with no pain either do i still need one do you guys reckon before i go to my GP

Mod

No medical advice to be given here as always, do go to your GP regardless Brian :)

anfearbeag wrote: »
    My personal non-professional opinion based on personal experience is that is takes about 10 days for the wound to completely heal over and dry up, so to enter public swimming pool water before then might risk infection. I'd leave it for at least 10 days before swimming - more of a risk that just showering in clean water!

I'd agree - wait maybe 10 days or so...plus...you're probably not going to feel too much up to it at that point.

I was in the sea about 3 weeks after the op, and it took a while to get used to the sensations, I can't imagine doing swimming classes would be very easy.

Rest up...go to the one the night before, skip the next week and you should be OK the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mengele

so I am the latest lad to have the operation (full circumcision) on here it seems. It was actually last Wednesday but I will tell you about it since then.

When for the operation Last Wednesday. Was told not to eat or drink anything since midnight. They gave me a bed for the day and wasn't sent into the room until about 2.30pm. I was under general anestetic. woke up about 4.30 and was brought back to the room I was first in. Nurse asked me how I was down there and said I didn't look yet and she looked and said it was fine. I had to wait 3 hours before I was discharged. I was given tea and toast and a chicken sandwich. I was clean starved at that stage. The father brought me home. Slept on my side and slept grand all night.

Day 1 wasn't too bad slept for a few hours during the day as I was tired from the day before. It was very sensitive and had the lad out all the time and couldn't dare putting on any clothes.

Day 2 a bit harder that day. Bordem started to kick in and still very sensitive.

Day 3 had a job interview so had no choice only to put on the suit and stuff. Had to drive this day and was able to do it just about. during the interview I had to walk 100% as I didn't want them knowing what was wrong. they then brought me around the building where at which stage I didn't even have time to think about being sore or uncomfortable only that I had to make an excellent impression. Came home and off with the clothes again for the day.

Day 4 still around the place with the lad hanging out

day 5+6+7+8+(today). Stitches now can get sore at times as it seems like there pulling . head is now grand and now can touch it easily etc. Sleeping is after getting very ahrd at night. Waking up every hour with an erection and last night I could feel the blood pumping and almost as if it was going to burst. It was very sore for a minute after. The best way to get it down is just get up and go to the toilet. erections are sorest part of it.

my tips:
    1. urinate only in the toilet by sitting down as I am urinating everywhere since.
    2. don't drink much for the first week as I find where the frenulum was cut can start bleeding a tiny bit the odd time and wee can make this sore if it hits it
    3. take plenty of baths as they are very relaxing
    4. shave all the hear off around the testical the week before and shave pubes.
    5. don't sleep much the days before the operation so that your so tired when your at home after the op that you pass away time then by sleeping

now my questions for anyone who has it done
    when do you start urinating straight again?
    at what stage did the stitches start to dissolve/ were completely gone?

I didn't pee straight until the swelling went, so probably around 10 days. Comforting thing for me was that it didn't hurt/sting when I pee'd (which was my big worry pre-op)

As for the stitches - they were pretty much gone by day 14. The internal parts dissolved, a tug in the shower with a tweezer on the end got them out altogether. The one that took the longest was in the frenulem, once that was out it was plain sailing

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Just found this and thought I would post.

When I'm flaccid I can roll the foreskin back no problem, but when I'm hard it can be slightly painful and very tight. Although with a slight bit of lube it rolls back OK.

When I was a teenager I couldn't get it back until I met my girlfriend. Went a bit rough with the hand, low and behold it was back over the head.

Quite sore the first time but I kept doing it stretching the skin and eventually I got it to the rolling back but with a slight pain (well more of a tightness than a pain).

Should I speak with my GP about it? Or does it sound like I'm ok?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Should I speak with my GP about it? Or does it sound like I'm ok?

Best to speak to your GP if you are worried about it

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭HomelessMidge

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Best to speak to your GP if you are worried about it

May aswell, father had to be circumcised and they thought I might need it but never went with it. I think they were wrong.

Very good thread, this goes largely unnoticed in Ireland, I was never taught stuff like this in sexual education.

Very good thread, this goes largely unnoticed in Ireland, I was never taught stuff like this in sexual education.

I know right, zero talk about any of this anywhere in Ireland but this site it seems. Health Education class in school was a total waste of time, simply repeated stuff about sex, drugs, alcohol and some nutritional advice was all we got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Quite sore the first time but I kept doing it stretching the skin and eventually I got it to the rolling back but with a slight pain (well more of a tightness than a pain).

Why don't you do a bit more of the stretching?

Some guys who were circumcised shortly after birth for no good reason (ahem, I'm one of them) have applied gentle stretching to make what is a very convincing foreskin.

Advertisement