Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jwwh

Lemon_Head wrote: »
    Hey, like a lot of the guys posting here I have Phimosis and I'm just wondering if anyone has had the Preputioplasty procedure done? I had a Frenectomy done 2 years ago in the hope it would sort the tight/unretractable foreskin but it didn't... It did nothing really. I'm debating circumcision now as it seems to be the only guaranteed way to sort it but the Preputioplasty procedure I've read up on seems like a less invasive option. I know some people are going to say "Go to your GP" but when I went to him to get the initial referral for the urologist 2 years ago, I asked him about 'partial circumcision' and he told me plainly theres no such thing! He said its either (full) circumcision or nothing!?! I know this isn't the case but it's also the reason I won't go to him to ask about the Preputioplasty procedure because I don't see him even acknowledging it... The urologist who performed the Frenectomy only offered me two options (circ or fren). Does anyone know if the Preputioplasty procedure is available in Ireland or has anyone had it done outside of the country? All I need is the name of a Urologist/Doctor or whatever. I really want to get this sorted ASAP as I've dealt with Phimosis for 27 years and I'm done! Any and all help appreciated! :)

Did you find out if any where this procedure can be done in ireland

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭Timeless12

So I'm going to see a urologist for the initial consultation during the week with a tight foreskin. Does anyone know what I can expect.?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

I went to my doc last April about phimosis. I wasn't enjoying sex and found it quite painful due to phimosis. He referred me to a urologist in Tallaght hospital and had an appointment last July. I was waiting only 3 months on the public list for the surgery and had it done on 25th October.

The day of the surgery wasn't any trouble at all. Wasn't as nervous as I thought I would. Just thinking of the benefits that it will make to my sex life. :D Went in at 7 in the morning and was out at 2 that day. General anaesthetic so I was a bit groggy afterwards but didn't feel much pain at all.

It's been 3 weeks now since and the only problem I had is that I got an infection about a week after surgery and that was quite painful. Had to do a course of antibotics but it's on the mend now, just that it slows down the healing process. I have to wait a few more weeks for it to heal but I wish now that I got it done a long time ago. I'm able to wear tight fitting clothes like jeans and don't feel any sensititivy from my glan. It feels now like it was before I had the surgery.

Anybody in a similar position should think about getting it done. I'm glad now that I got it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

smokie72 wrote: »
    I went to my doc last April about phimosis. I wasn't enjoying sex and found it quite painful due to phimosis. He referred me to a urologist in Tallaght hospital and had an appointment last July. I was waiting only 3 months on the public list for the surgery and had it done on 25th October.

The day of the surgery wasn't any trouble at all. Wasn't as nervous as I thought I would. Just thinking of the benefits that it will make to my sex life. :D Went in at 7 in the morning and was out at 2 that day. General anaesthetic so I was a bit groggy afterwards but didn't feel much pain at all.

It's been 3 weeks now since and the only problem I had is that I got an infection about a week after surgery and that was quite painful. Had to do a course of antibotics but it's on the mend now, just that it slows down the healing process. I have to wait a few more weeks for it to heal but I wish now that I got it done a long time ago. I'm able to wear tight fitting clothes like jeans and don't feel any sensititivy from my glan. It feels now like it was before I had the surgery.

Anybody in a similar position should think about getting it done. I'm glad now that I got it done.

Does the head of your dock be very dry after it, with no skin to cover it, Also you get hard in the days after the operation do the stitches start tearing, im thinking of getting it done but am a bit afraid of the healing , thanks for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Does the head of your dock be very dry after it, with no skin to cover it, Also you get hard in the days after the operation do the stitches start tearing, im thinking of getting it done but am a bit afraid of the healing , thanks for your help

it does dry out, but that is pretty normal - i just used normal moisturizer after it healed and it's fine.

the stitches do not tear when you go hard, the doctors leave enough slack in the stitches for erections. - it's uncomfortable for the first week, but after a while you get used to it and you find coping mechanisms (for me...thinking about Mary Harney in a bikini on a cold day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

it does dry out, but that is pretty normal - i just used normal moisturizer after it healed and it's fine.

the stitches do not tear when you go hard, the doctors leave enough slack in the stitches for erections. - it's uncomfortable for the first week, but after a while you get used to it and you find coping mechanisms (for me...thinking about Mary Harney in a bikini on a cold day)

Haha, that would work alright, I always wondered about the dryness as mine is already dry even witgout the circumsision, Thanks for writing about your experience too, puts me at ease a bit, will have to work up the corage to visit the doc next,

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

The best way to deal with your glan getting dry is to apply a bit of vaseline to it to keep it moist. Yes i did wake up in the middle of the night with sore erections. Try not to drink much before you go to bed. The stitches were a bit sore but the last one fell out a couple of days ago. Erections aren't painful anymore but you would want to give it a few weeks to give the little fella a chance to heal before you're ready for action.

30 days is the recommended time - however I had a wet dream about 2 weeks in, and knocked one out 3 weeks into recovery. Before I knew it I was back in the saddle. You have to go easy the first week or 2 back in action, but you won't know yourself afterwards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Fabric Softener

I had my consultation today with the urologist. was expecting to only need a frenuloplasty but he said in my case that that wouldn't work. I'd need a circumcision booked in for Dec 5th for the op.

Does anyone know if could go into work the next day? I have an office job.

I had my consultation today with the urologist. was expecting to only need a frenuloplasty but he said in my case that that wouldn't work. I'd need a circumcision booked in for Dec 5th for the op.

eh...I wouldn't. You will not be in pain, but you will be very sensitive and not feel up to doing much. Also, the first few days you wake up at night 3 or 4 times from the shock of an erection. If you look back over the thread, most people say that at least 3 or 4 days on the couch in a dressing gown with your lad out is what is needed.

If you work at an office, you need to take into account a few things.
    • You will have your bandage still on the next day
    • you'll need to be wearing normal trousers (suit etc).
    • You need to get to and from work , wander around in the day to the canteen
    etc.

You don't need to tell anyone what your procedure is - I spoke directly to my manager, told him that I was having an operation and i'd rather not discuss it. If you're up front, it saves you having to take holiday time to recover

• Advertisement

eh...I wouldn't. You will not be in pain, but you will be very sensitive and not feel up to doing much. Also, the first few days you wake up at night 3 or 4 times from the shock of an erection. If you look back over the thread, most people say that at least 3 or 4 days on the couch in a dressing gown with your lad out is what is needed.

If you work at an office, you need to take into account a few things.
    • You will have your bandage still on the next day
    • you'll need to be wearing normal trousers (suit etc).
    • You need to get to and from work , wander around in the day to the canteen
    etc.

You don't need to tell anyone what your procedure is - I spoke directly to my manager, told him that I was having an operation and i'd rather not discuss it. If you're up front, it saves you having to take holiday time to recover

Ok the procedure is on a thursday so ill take the friday off as well. Another thing, I only just found out now that there are different styles of circumcision. The consultant didn't mention it though, would you have any idea if ill be asked about this before the op?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anfearbeag

Work the next day ? No way man!

I had mine done on a friday morning and i went in to work on the monday, but had to be well bandaged and very cautious about any minor bleeding occurring (lots of trips to the bathroom to check). Even 3 days was cutting it fine - 5 days would be much better if you can arrange it.
    As for styles - my personal recommendation is for a full tight circumcision, medium height (retaining 1/2 to 3/4 inches of inner foreskin. You wont be disappointed !

anfearbeag wrote: »
    Work the next day ? No way man!

I had mine done on a friday morning and i went in to work on the monday, but had to be well bandaged and very cautious about any minor bleeding occurring (lots of trips to the bathroom to check). Even 3 days was cutting it fine - 5 days would be much better if you can arrange it.
    As for styles - my personal recommendation is for a full tight circumcision, medium height (retaining 1/2 to 3/4 inches of inner foreskin. You wont be disappointed !

Why would you recommend that style? From a visual standpoint I'd probably prefer loose. Not sure about low and high. But the thing is I was talking to a friend who got it done and they never mentioned what type of circumcision they would do.

I went high and tight as well - however it was only when I raised it with the doctor that he confirmed that he was going to do that style anyway.

From my research (pretty much first and only time i've search for those sort of images) it was how it looked that made me prefer it. I'm not disappointed with it either

I went high and tight as well - however it was only when I raised it with the doctor that he confirmed that he was going to do that style anyway.

From my research (pretty much first and only time i've search for those sort of images) it was how it looked that made me prefer it. I'm not disappointed with it either

It seems ridiculous to me that they din't ask your preference. Im going to email the clinic and find out what "style" will be done. I'd prefer to lose to least amount of tissue as possible.

It seems ridiculous to me that they din't ask your preference. Im going to email the clinic and find out what "style" will be done. I'd prefer to lose to least amount of tissue as possible.

In fairness, this was in Spain, on their public system - however the doctor was really easy going and explained the benefits of the high and tight....he was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anfearbeag

In fairness, this was in Spain, on their public system - however the doctor was really easy going and explained the benefits of the high and tight....he was right.

i agree 100% with this poster - high and tight is by far the best outcome. it looks right and it feels right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Mine was one fairly tight too. It probably has changed silghtly though since it was done 11 years ago.
    I had mine done as a child and in a way I wish I could have had the experience of a normally functioning penis.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Mister R

I don't think I've heard of anyone getting a loose one actually on this board or other sites. I think tight is standard practice maybe.

I inquired about the style and was told it was a routine circumcision so would be keeping as much tissue as possible. That's eased my anxieties so I'm happy with that.

• Advertisement

Good Luck man, keep us updated, can't believe its been almost a year (Jan) since mine was done. Time flies. :)

If the surgeon says they are doing a routine circumcision which keeps as much tissue as possible does that mean the inner foreskin will be retained?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Scented Candle

I have the aviva business plan complete. Does anyone know if I'd have to pay the bill myself for the circumcision and claim at the end of the year or do Aviva pay it directly?

I have the aviva business plan complete. Does anyone know if I'd have to pay the bill myself for the circumcision and claim at the end of the year or do Aviva pay it directly?
    I think they will take care of the hospital bill. But you will have to pay for your visits to the consultant before/after the op and claim them back.
    Im not certain about that but I think thats how it works

With Laya they paid the hospital and op expenses and all I had to pay was an excess of about 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Got into a conversation about circumcision with an English cousin of mine (we were talking about the woman who is being fined for not getting her Jewish son circumcised) and he was taken aback when I told him I was circumcised and it was neither for religious reasons or because it was medically necessary. I'm not 100% sure it wasn't medically necessary but as my brothers were also circumcised it seems unlikely we all required it. So, in Ireland is circumcision something parents just decide to do, like on a whim? Will a doctor perform one if it isn't necessary? Not sure I agree that it's an ethical thing for a doctor to do unless the procedure is medically required.

Very few parents just decide to have a circumcision on a whim here the way its almost routine in the USA/Canada. I know the childrens hospital do them for Jewish and Muslim babies but I dunno if they'll just do one if you randomly ask, maybe they will.

Mister R wrote: »
    Very few parents just decide to have a circumcision on a whim here the way its almost routine in the USA/Canada. I know the childrens hospital do them for Jewish and Muslim babies but I dunno if they'll just do one if you randomly ask, maybe they will.
    No they wont. Its a medical procedure so it will never be carried out unless there is a medical need for it.
    I had mine done when I was 11, both ends of the foreskin joined together so urinating was agonising.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Vitaliorange

Had my circumcision done this morning. The bandage fell off just before I left the hospital. I'm surprised at how neat it looks. It doesn't look bad at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Vitaliorange

Day 2. There's no pain at all really, maybe just a small twinge of pain last night in bed but thats it. Its looking a lot more swollen now though and feels kind of numb.

Advertisement