Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anfearbeag

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that once the foreskin is stretched, that it won't close in again and will stay stretched forever?

What I mean is that phimosis is characterised by the formation of a white ring of scar tissue at the point where the inner foreskin has torn periodically due to the tightness during intercourse. Scar tissue is not elastic and therefore the problem gets cyclically worse, as the tissue becomes less elastic it causes more scarring, which makes it even less elastic in future etc. Applying steroid creams or attempting stretching exercises is futile as the ring of scar tissue will not become elastic again, it is permanent and will continue to cause phimosis until it is surgically removed. Inner foreskin is an uniquely elastic type of skin unlike earlobes and the shaft skin of the penis, and once this elasticity has been lost it cannot be restored again. Circumcision removes the ring of scar tissue that is causing the phimosis restriction and allows normal intercourse again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 102 ✭✭DjembaDjemba

anfearbeag wrote: »
    What I mean is that phimosis is characterised by the formation of a white ring of scar tissue at the point where the inner foreskin has torn periodically due to the tightness during intercourse. Scar tissue is not elastic and therefore the problem gets cyclically worse, as the tissue becomes less elastic it causes more scarring, which makes it even less elastic in future etc. Applying steroid creams or attempting stretching exercises is futile as the ring of scar tissue will not become elastic again, it is permanent and will continue to cause phimosis until it is surgically removed. Inner foreskin is an uniquely elastic type of skin unlike earlobes and the shaft skin of the penis, and once this elasticity has been lost it cannot be restored again. Circumcision removes the ring of scar tissue that is causing the phimosis restriction and allows normal intercourse again.

Where did you get this information from? Im interesting in seeing if this medically correct, and if stretching is a waste of time.

Its been well documented by plenty of people that stretching with or without steroid cream for a period of time can fix phimosis.

You make it sound like circumcision is the only option, which its not. Its a last resort for me personally if the stretching doesn't work after a couple of months. The loss in sensitivity during intercourse is putting me circumcision mainly, not to mention the pain of it. I also cant afford a op right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Where did you get this information from? Im interesting in seeing if this medically correct, and if stretching is a waste of time.

Its been well documented by plenty of people that stretching with or without steroid cream for a period of time can fix phimosis.

You make it sound like circumcision is the only option, which its not. Its a last resort for me personally if the stretching doesn't work after a couple of months. The loss in sensitivity during intercourse is putting me circumcision mainly, not to mention the pain of it. I also cant afford a op right now.

I've had the operation over 18 months and I have not lost any sensitivity and sex is pretty much 100% more enjoyable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

see my other comment above - earlobe tissue is not the same as inner foreskin tissue, it is not elastic tissue and doesnt need to enlarge periodically.
    And yet people can stretch such inelastic ear tissue(inc cartilage) to an impressive degree, even after overenthusiastic stretching causes the buildup of scar tissue. Plus you have men who for their own reasons decide to grow a replacement foreskin by stretching what remains of their foreskin tissue after childhood circumcision.
    Circumcision removes the ring of scar tissue that is causing the phimosis restriction and allows normal intercourse again.
    OK let's go with the ring is unstretchable. Fine, then why not remove/relax just the ring itself a la preputioplasty, rather than remove the whole structure? Why the headlong rush into full removal of the entire foreskin? The preputioplasty would be less invasive, healing should be quicker and the man would retain a now functioning foreskin. As I said earlier this sounds awfully akin to finding a non infected* cavity in a tooth and extracting the tooth rather than fixing the cavity with a filling. Second question; how many guys docs here have even mentioned preputioplasty as a therapy?
    Pointless conversation.
    Why? Basic logic would suggest if there may be less invasive therapies for a medical issue that they be favoured over more invasive therapies, or at least discussed. IMH because circumcision has such a long cultural/religious and medical history it's seen as the go to method of relieving this particular condition. It's not too long ago that routine childhood circumcision was considered the healthy, medically advised option for boys/men. Not just in the US either. Few enough men between the years of say 1870 to 1950 in the English speaking world with access to medical services would have been left uncircumcised. Now we know better.

By the by, it seems preputioplasty is on the menu for some cases at least in the UK as Ch4's Embarrassing Bodies had a segment on phimosis. Here. NSFW(though the video window is small enough)

* Obviously in the case of underlying infection or other pathology of the foreskin/penis then removal would be the go to method.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Why is a moderator supporting one side of a discussion only ? I thought moderators were meant to maintain an impartial perspective and only moderate any discussions that breach the guidelines of the site ?

• Advertisement

I've had the operation over 18 months and I have not lost any sensitivity and sex is pretty much 100% more enjoyable.

I second that - several years after a cicr and i can report no pain and no loss of sensitivity or enjoyment. Beware the naysayers !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why is a moderator supporting one side of a discussion only ? I thought moderators were meant to maintain an impartial perspective and only moderate any discussions that breach the guidelines of the site ?

You thought wrong. A moderator is just a normal poster like you unless they are performing moderator actions which in most cases will be clearly defined (see below). Moderators are allowed have opinions about anything they like.
    Also if it is Wibbs you are referring to then he is not a moderator of this forum.

Mod note: Hope this clears it up:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Haz619 wrote: »
    Hi Charlie, i for one tried the stretching with the steroid cream but it didnt really work.. I was also told by my doctor that if it did work it would take possibly years to get it right. He also said that its not a permanent solution because in most cases the problem will come back. If it is really bothering you i would recommend just getting it done. I don't regret it and im sure 99% of people on here would say the same.
    Hi mate. Circumcision is what I will eventually get done should the stretching techniques not work, but I am going to be looking into what Wibbs said below, about a preputioplasty. This looks like the most beneficial op should the stretches not work, as I wont lose a lot of sensitivity, and will keep the natural lubrication also, but hopefully the stretches will work after a couple of months or so. I will be getting the steroid cream after going to my GP in the next couple of days and might buy a set of those phimocure silicone rings, which I could use during work.

Wibbs wrote: »
    If the stretching doesn't work then another option CH is Preputioplasty. This is a surgical technique that preserves all the original structure and tissue in place and has a faster healing time. It certainly seems to be a much more conservative and sensible technique than the complete removal of the foreskin. More like goin to the dentist and getting a filling rather than the whole tooth being extracted. IIRC this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but it seemed few Irish doctors were even aware of the technique, much less practiced in it. I see you're in Australia, maybe you'll have better luck there finding a clued in surgeon?
    Hi mate, thanks for the info, I had never heard of a preputioplasty, but it looks like a good option for me should stretches not work. Im wary of a full circumcision, being bed ridden, missing work, the pain etc. hence why I hope the stretches work.

Ill get back to you guys in a while hopefully with some good news.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hi mate, thanks for the info, I had never heard of a preputioplasty, but it looks like a good option for me should stretches not work.
    No worries CH. At least it's an option and the more options one has regarding any medical procedure/condition are to be welcomed.

TBH I'm really surprised that none of the guys in this thread(that I'm aware of) have been told of this, or offered this option, in Ireland anyway. :confused: As it seems to resolve the problem, rather than removing the surrounding tissue containing the problem. It's certainly far more conservative, with the aim of preserving/restoring all the original structure of the penis. I'd imagine it would be cheaper too? From the Wiki:[It] is conservative, non-traumatic and less invasive and can be performed on an outpatient basis under local anaesthetic in a doctor's office and has the advantage of healing very quickly with little or no significant cosmetic alteration to the appearance of the penis. If some men are getting this done in a doctors office under local like I dunno a vasectomy it seems to be a no brainer compared to a hospital visit, longer healing times and structural tissue loss.

Maybe the doctors involved, while knowing about this operation(one would hope), just aren't sufficiently practiced with it, so may shy away? Or that circumcision is "just how things are done"? Or something more mundane like medical insurance wouldn't cover it? I just don't get it TBH. :confused:

BTW and just to be very clear and as I've stated more than once I am 100% NOT against circumcision for valid medical reasons, if other more conservative therapy avenues have been exhausted, or are medically counterproductive. Impartiality is where one looks at both sides of a subject, rather than saying one way is the best and only way. What I am dubious of is the straight to circumcision route*. I'd say exactly the same of any medical procedure on any part of the body where other less destructive therapies aren't tried first or at least offered as an option. Needless to say I'm against routine childhood circumcision, as I consider that a barbaric non medical holdover from bronze age religious daftness, Victorian moral panic and sometimes cultural fetish and should be left in the dark ages where it should belong.

*EDIT*
    Im wary of a full circumcision, being bed ridden, missing work, the pain etc.
    From the guys on here that have had the operation it seems a few days of initial discomfort, but rapid healing and back to normal after that period, so if in the end it looks like circumcision is your only alternative the operation and healing is not such an issue.

*saw this personally a fair few years back when a mate(when drunk of course :)) told us he was crapping himself because he was told he needed a circumcision. He went through three doctors before the fourth told him it was a frenulum/banjo string problem and a simple op could rectify the problem. And it did. TBH before then, like most men I had no interest in the subject as it didn't affect me. Add in a personal inbuilt suspicion of received wisdom and here we are.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KOT8

I've followed this thread for a number of weeks now, and had the operation done yesterday due to medical reasons (BXO)
    I found it comforting to read other mens stories and tribulations on the whole procedure and healing process..........cos I was absolutely bricking it.......

But have to say, I got it done privately in <modsnip> please don't mention clinics or locations (due to waiting approx 11 months on HSE and still no word from them!)

Everything went according to plan so now its the waiting game on the healing end of things.

Virtually no pain, except for a stinging sensation ( foreskin cut and frenuloplasty )
    in and out in about an hour and a bit.

overall good experience!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭rey8px2m7altcs

May I ask, after a circumcision is there any loss in sensation when having sex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

finally got my date for the procedure 1/12/14 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 scared_silly

It’s almost the 1 year anniversary of me getting the chop!

I remember this time last year being massively freaked out by the prospect of having surgery on my lovely willie but now i can barely understand what the fuss was about.

I had really tight foreskin and i couldn’t retract the skin past the head. I was dreading going to the GP and telling him my problem, but in hindsight that was toughest part.

Meeting the urologist, having the surgery, recovery and having sex the first time...all flew by, especially the last one lol.

If you think you have a problem, dont hesitate to speak to your GP and discuss your options, that’s the only 'mountain' you will have to face.

I really want to thank everybody who contributed to this thread. It's amazing how faceless usernames can help so much through which can be a confusing and scary time.

Best of luck to everybody!!

I was just browsing the Gentlemen's Club and I noticed this sticky (funny how you never notice stickied threads).

Wow its been 3 years since my circumcision, seems like a lifetime ago. I remember how scared and weirded out i was by the whole thing, this thread was a massive help. Glad i got the surgery and i haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

I had my circumcision operation yesterday. I'm getting used to the different look of it. It hurts me but not as much as I had expected it to. I was a fair bit nervous before going into the hospital but I'm glad that I've had it done, I really needed it. This thread has been great, thanks to all!

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    I had my circumcision operation yesterday. I'm getting used to the different look of it. It hurts me but not as much as I had expected it to. I was a fair bit nervous before going into the hospital but I'm glad that I've had it done, I really needed it. This thread has been great, thanks to all!

you got it done in Spain? I had mine done in Madrid in the public hospital system. Very tidy and really happy with the results. Don't let day one scare you..it took a couple of weeks before it started to look like "mine"

you got it done in Spain? I had mine done in Madrid in the public hospital system. Very tidy and really happy with the results. Don't let day one scare you..it took a couple of weeks before it started to look like "mine"

Nah, I got it done here in one of our own public hospitals in the Republic. I just used to live in Spain and haven't changed my location back yet:pac:

I'm happy so far with the job they did on me. The stitches are still in and the new sensitivity is messing up the way I walk but I was told that I'd recover in about a week to two weeks. I'm just trying to look after myself right now and take it easy:)

TO_ARTHUR! wrote: »
    Nah, I got it done here in one of our own public hospitals in the Republic. I just used to live in Spain and haven't changed my location back yet:pac:

I'm happy so far with the job they did on me. The stitches are still in and the new sensitivity is messing up the way I walk but I was told that I'd recover in about a week to two weeks. I'm just trying to look after myself right now and take it easy:)

jaysus. 1 day in i didn't move the couch except to pee.

I went off the radar for 3 or 4 days, and only close friends knew. I went out for a walk on the Monday, had a slight limp, bump into someone I knew who asked if I had a vasectomy. Spanish people can be direct :D

Take it easy, box sets and dressing gowns will be your best friend for the next couple of days.

jaysus. 1 day in i didn't move the couch except to pee.

I went off the radar for 3 or 4 days, and only close friends knew. I went out for a walk on the Monday, had a slight limp, bump into someone I knew who asked if I had a vasectomy. Spanish people can be direct :D

Take it easy, box sets and dressing gowns will be your best friend for the next couple of days.

Thanks very much, mate. That's the way I am right now, fearing even moving on the couch:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Are these the kind of stitches that need to be removed, or that magically dissolve?

(The only time I've ever been in hospital is for an ingrown toenail as a child, this would be a big jump for me)

banquo wrote: »
    Are these the kind of stitches that need to be removed, or that magically dissolve?

(The only time I've ever been in hospital is for an ingrown toenail as a child, this would be a big jump for me)

Standard practice is they dissolve. The bits that are inside the scar would start to dissolve about two weeks in to healing. There's no going in to a nurse or doctor to get them out.

Once the insides are gone, the ends come out easily enough with a tug with some tweezers. The don't all go at the same time though, i think it was about 4 days it took for all of mine to be out. You just give each one a bit (note...a bit) of a tug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 arealhumanbein

I got cut yesterday and did so privately. So far there hasn't been any pain it's jaut really uncomfortable. I was bandaged with one film bandage on the back of the head and a loose bandage wrapped around it so no need to bathe to get it off and I ca unwrap to pee. Which is fine, but there is still a lot of blood from the wound.. Is this normal? I'm jaut worried about getting it infected.. Should I be worried about pee getting into the wound (which is where e frenulum was/is.. I haven't ventured that far!)

Another thing is boners at night, not so much painful but really uncomfortable.. Same with sensitivity.

Any advice on the bleeding and sensitivity?

1. bleeding

It's pretty normal, it'll stop on it own - I had blood until the bandage came off. When the bandage is off, take baths with salt in the water. It'll cut down on the chance of infection.

as for the sensitivity. it'll take a few days for it to calm down. You can't really do too much about it. Just sit on the couch, let the junk hang out and catch up on a box set or two.

As for boners, mary harney in a bikini did it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 arealhumanbein

1. bleeding

It's pretty normal, it'll stop on it own - I had blood until the bandage came off. When the bandage is off, take baths with salt in the water. It'll cut down on the chance of infection.

as for the sensitivity. it'll take a few days for it to calm down. You can't really do too much about it. Just sit on the couch, let the junk hang out and catch up on a box set or two.

As for boners, mary harney in a bikini did it for me.

Thanks. How long was your bandage on for? I didn't get bandaged up, just loosely so I could theoretically bathe it now.,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Mod

Guys ease up on the medical advice there please. As always, any concerns should be checked out with your doctor.

Thanks. How long was your bandage on for? I didn't get bandaged up, just loosely so I could theoretically bathe it now.,

Talk to your doctor!, I was bandaged and told leave it on for 48 hours and take it off in the bath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 The Aggressive Pepper

My bandage came off in the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jaddybutt

<mod snip>

Mod note - jaddybutt Welcome to boards. It is not appropriate to try and start campaigns on this thread (or any thread). Please pm me if you have any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lost6000

nailatron wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I had a partial-circ two weeks ago for phimosis.

My bruising has gone and most of the swelling, except around the actual cut. The stitches are still there but falling out. I'm still having trouble retracting the foreskin when flaccid, it won't fully unfold if u get me, and not at all when erect. Actually it seems as tight as ever still.

Has anyone had successful results from a partial-circ and did u experiencing anything similar?

Thanks.

Hi nialatron. Had this same procedure 3 days ago. Having similar issues to you. What was your outcome. Did things loosen up sufficiently in time ??

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi there,I had a partial circ 3 weeks ago...within the first week I was the same and could not retract virtually at all..even tighter than before...but the elasticity of the cells develop (or so that's what I understand happens) and by the second week I could retract when flaccid which was a new and slightly unnerving experience and now into my third week I can almost fully retract when erect...well I mean it pretty much retracts by itself which is what I understand will happen...so simply put what u are experiencing now is completely normal...try not to worry...I am not sure if everything will be ok for me but its a lot easier when your penis starts to look like a penis again haha...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I need the operation done. How long is the general waiting time to get it?

Advertisement