Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey lads,

Just thought I'd add my input into this thread for anyone else.
    I always noticed my foreskin would be tight when erect, and it caused discomfort when having sex... that shouldn't be right!!
    I finally went to my GP to get the ball rolling last year. Was a bit awkward, but it's nothing he hasn't seen before! (Im in my mid 20s btw).
    Then got a referral to urologist who was great and put me at ease.
    Thankfully I was able to go private and had the op done (a full circ) a couple of days ago.
    Recovery is alright, but much more manageable thanks to reading through this thread and seeing other lads experiences. I'm just looking forward to getting back to a new sense of normal now! :)

Thank you so much to all the other posters here.
    If anyone thinks they have a problem, please go to your GP. Don't ensure the pain or awkwardness.
    If you've any questions, please let me know.

thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

hey lads,

Just thought I'd add my input into this thread for anyone else.
    I always noticed my foreskin would be tight when erect, and it caused discomfort when having sex... that shouldn't be right!!
    I finally went to my GP to get the ball rolling last year. Was a bit awkward, but it's nothing he hasn't seen before! (Im in my mid 20s btw).
    Then got a referral to urologist who was great and put me at ease.
    Thankfully I was able to go private and had the op done (a full circ) a couple of days ago.
    Recovery is alright, but much more manageable thanks to reading through this thread and seeing other lads experiences. I'm just looking forward to getting back to a new sense of normal now! :)

Thank you so much to all the other posters here.
    If anyone thinks they have a problem, please go to your GP. Don't ensure the pain or awkwardness.
    If you've any questions, please let me know.

thanks again.
    What was the turnaround time from you visiting your GP to getting the op done??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

hefferboi wrote: »
    What was the turnaround time from you visiting your GP to getting the op done??

You'll go to your GP to get a referral letter for a urologist.
    Depending on which one, you should be able to book an appointment within a few weeks, maybe earlier.
    Once you've your meeting with the urologist, they will advise when suits for the OP. if you're flexible enough time wise , it could be within weeks.
    This is assuming you go private.

whiskeyman wrote: »
    You'll go to your GP to get a referral letter for a urologist.
    Depending on which one, you should be able to book an appointment within a few weeks, maybe earlier.
    Once you've your meeting with the urologist, they will advise when suits for the OP. if you're flexible enough time wise , it could be within weeks.
    This is assuming you go private.

I was talking to a friend who advised me to go to the GP as he had the same problem. He said he went and he was sent straight for the operation that week.

hefferboi wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend who advised me to go to the GP as he had the same problem. He said he went and he was sent straight for the operation that week.

I guess that if everything suits (your time and the hospital / urologist) it could be done within the week.
    Realistically, it may take a few weeks... or you may want to have it done over 'free / holiday time' so it doesn't clash with work / exams / holidays etc..
    Either way, go to the GP / Urologist and see what time windows suit.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

My foreskin is very tight and I just want to ask, what's the best method to try first? Would I be better off just trying stretching on it's own or should I also get a steroid cream from my GP?

Sierra 117 wrote: »
    My foreskin is very tight and I just want to ask, what's the best method to try first? Would I be better off just trying stretching on it's own or should I also get a steroid cream from my GP?

How tight is it?
    Can you pull it back when erect?

Personally, I didn't find the stretching or creams did much. I still needed a full circ.
    definitely go to your GP and see if they advise stretching / creams based upon your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

I can't pull it back much when erect. It's quite tight. Checking with my doctor is probably the best idea. He'd no doubt have a better idea as to what would be more effective.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kevinseymour

Had this done when I was a kid for medical reasons, cant even remember it at all which is surprising to say the least.

Must be stressful enough dealing with it as an adult?

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I guess that if everything suits (your time and the hospital / urologist) it could be done within the week.
    Realistically, it may take a few weeks... or you may want to have it done over 'free / holiday time' so it doesn't clash with work / exams / holidays etc..
    Either way, go to the GP / Urologist and see what time windows suit.

Best of luck!

I just went to my GP yesterday he said an op is the only answer and the urologist will be in touch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Had this done when I was a kid for medical reasons, cant even remember it at all which is surprising to say the least.

Must be stressful enough dealing with it as an adult?

Eh....it was grand to be honest. A few days on the couch with the lad out and getting through a box set or 3. Especially when you end the op, it is just a relief to have it over with - the recovery after a week is fine. My op was local anesthetic with me chatting in Spanish to the doctor about Irish whiskey and soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I remember peeing for the first time after made me want to pass out. One of the most painful experiences I hope I ever have to endure

ryanf1 wrote: »
    I remember peeing for the first time after made me want to pass out. One of the most painful experiences I hope I ever have to endure

weird...i thought it was going to be, but I didn't feel a thing.

I did have to sit down for a couple of weeks, mostly due to the sprinkler effect of the swelling

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭newbie11

I had this done a couple of years ago, no problems afterwards, just very slight discomfort for a couple of days, has really improved my life since, just wish i had it done earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

BOOKED.

/finally can close Incognito browser window

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

newbie11 wrote: »
    I had this done a couple of years ago, no problems afterwards, just very slight discomfort for a couple of days, has really improved my life since, just wish i had it done earlier

How has it improved your life if you don't mind me asking? For the record I believe you - I'm just curious as per how :)

Also, all the best with your procedure banquo

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anfearbeag

Perhaps I could offer an answer to D'Agger's question, since i too got the procedure done a few years ago after many years of suffering from phimosis.

Life has immeasurably improved since the circumcision due to :
    - No more pain caused by overly tight foreskin being stretched and torn during intercourse
    - no more infections caused by tears in the foreskin
    - no more itching and burning sensations in the foreskin caused by infections
    - no more weeping and oozing caused by skin infections at tears in the foreskin
    - urinating much easier, cleaner, drier experience
    - penis is now dry, clean, odour free and hygienic always
    - intercourse much more pleasurable due to glans finally exposed fully as it is supposed to be during sex

- The down sides ? slightly diminished touch sensation around glans, but that is still better than all of the negative points above that have been resolved.

Recommended ? YES, very much so. A huge improvement.

This may be a daft Q, but do those of it who are post-circumcision not miss their foreskin? It's such a personal body part, and it feels like it'll be just bizarre not having one!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 anfearbeag

No.

my foreskin never functioned correctly...why would I miss it?

• Advertisement

A fair point. I dunno, maybe it's _beacause_ of the grief that I'm just more aware of it's existence.

banquo wrote: »
    A fair point. I dunno, maybe it's _beacause_ of the grief that I'm just more aware of it's existence.

To be blunt...while I was recovering from surgery the whole organ did not look like my own - if you take a look at my post history you see i described it as looking like a dog had eaten it, excreted it and then sewed it back on.

There was a level dysmorphia (this is what you get for a having a doctor as a wife...the terminology :D). It didn't seem like my own.

Then as it healed and I regained functionality, it seemed more like my own lad and after a while, i barely remembered what the pre-circ one looked like. I actually prefer the look post op, but that could be personal.

Do most of you find sex just as good afterwards?

Do most of you find sex just as good afterwards?

Better...mostly because I enjoy it more. I had a lack of stimulation before. Now I have a nice level of sensitivity along with more enjoyable

I do find it a little annoying to have to use lube all the time though.
    More a problem.for masturbation really.

I do find it a little annoying to have to use lube all the time though.
    More a problem.for masturbation really.

Do you mean before or after?

Before. Nothing happens otherwise.
    Well, it does but takes me ages and far less pleasurable without.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

**Not looking for medical advice**

I have a tight foreskin and went to the doctor 8 years ago and he prescribed me steroid cream. After using that for 2 weeks, I finally was able to retract my foreskin (while flaccid) for the first time. However, since then I can retract it when erect, but it's tight and gets kinda stuck and have to force it back up, it's not a fluid motion if you get me. Can I just ask everyone who's after getting circumcised-
    were you like me or worse off?

And also, does the VHI cover you sice it is a pre-existing condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

I have another question also- I have health insurance but it only covers me for public hospitals. So does anyone know how long it would take to get referred to a urologist in a public hospital and then how long til the operation? And do you have any say in when it happens as I can't take anymore time off work this year as have already used up sick leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭blah88

Hey guys. Just a quick question. I haven't got circumcised but I used to have phimosis and have only become able to retract my foreskin fairly recently. The problem I have now is that the glans is hypersensitive. It's really painful to touch. So, I'm trying to reduce the sensitivity by keeping the foreskin retracted and wearing tight underwear throughout the day, to get the glans used to physical contact.

This is basically what you guys have to do after a circumcision, right? It takes a couple of weeks normally for the pain to subside. Well, as you can imagine, I'm in a lot of discomfort now. So, I bought THIS local anaesthetic spray from the chemist. It helps a LOT!

I can walk around a bit and it's only slightly painful now. I'm just wondering, will the hypersensitivity fade away even whilst i'm using the anaesthetic, or does your brain need those extreme pain signals to fix the problem?

It's hard to explain what I'm getting at but try to answer! I'm hoping that a week or two of constant friction on my glans will sort me out. I'm sick of flinching every time a girl touches me there! Vaginal sex is not too bad as there's plenty of lubrication involved, but anything else hurts like mad.

Advertisement