Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Been 25 days since the op now and it seems like everything's going well. I was back at the doctor last week just so I could get a checkup and they didn't say anything one way or the other so I guess no news is good news. The stitches have started falling out but I don't know if they've all fallen out yet. I'm still adjusting to the being able to feel every single movement down there. I'm always a bit nervous as I don't know if it's a bad feeling or just the norm for now (though, I'm aware it's just the norm, just at the moment of it happening, I'm never too sure).

I have a girlfriend and we've been together a long time. She's been very understanding for the last year or so since I've had my problem but I know she wants to return to the bedroom. I do too but, understandably I feel, I'm incredibly nervous about it as I don't know how it's going to go.

Any suggestions for this?

Take it easy and have some lube handy just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Had my op yesterday and all went well. Didn't look as bad as I thought it would initially. I was expecting it to be purple and very swollen but it actually looks ok. The back of the penis looks disgusting though. Where the banjo used to be it looks like there's guts coming out of it. I'm hoping this is just the stitches and the bandage.

I had a bath today and was nervous as I thought it would be very painful. The water was lukewarm with nothing in it and I was a little sensitive but nothing major. How should I was ye test of my body properly without going near the penis? I'm afraid to use any shower gel or anything and I'm starting to stink.

Last night i found it hard to sleep as I woke a few times with erections. Any way of managing this and making myself more comfortable?

At the minute I'm just wearing tight boxers and putting a bandage down there to hold it in place. It's doing a fairly ok job but the bandage can move and i end up rubbing off the boxers. Anyone any other suggestions as to what they did?

If anyone has any suggestions as to any more ways I can be more comfortable then please let me know, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd go for looser boxers and pants in general. If you wrap the bandage tight enough, it will stay in place.

For the erections, do you have a tiled floor in your place, maybe in the bathroom? Just stand on a really cool place and that will help you get over it. Or hold something cold against your body.

Another tip, though not necessary, is to shave the hair in the immediate area, purely because the addition of pubes that can get caught up in the bandages makes taking them off and changing them a bit more intense and uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

For washing it I would try using wipes or a face cloth. Definitely loose underwear too, that will make the erections less painful and allow air to circulate which helps healing.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I plan to see my gp about this soon, it's very likely I will need a circumcision/partial circumcision. I've heard though that waiting lists for this can be very long, as in years. Did people here typically have to wait along time before getting this done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

Thanks to everyone posting here. I spent the last couple of days reading over this thread and it has finally made me realise I'm not alone!

I've been struggling with a tight foreskin for the last few years. I'm early thirties now. In recent months I can't even retract it when flaccid (well I can but it takes a huge amount of effort, pain and the inevitable tear to the skin). I couldn't even imagine trying to when erect. I seem to have a short frenulum and the opening in my foreskin is too small. It wasn't always like this. up until a few years ago I never had an issue with it. I don't know what happened that changed this. My sex life has taken a huge hit. My gf has been understanding but we haven't done it in months as the pain gets too much for me.

In the last few weeks I've been telling myself I have to get it sorted but just haven't managed to pick up the phone to make an appointment with the doc (pathetic, I know).

Not sure why I'm posting here other than to say that it's been good to read similar stories to my own and thanks to everyone for posting theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Badger _ please go to your GP and get a referral to a urologist.
    If u have health insurance, use it!
    Make it your priority. Do it Monday morning. Don't let this drag on.
    feel free to ask or pm with any questions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

As whiskeyman said, its really important you go to your GP. I always feel more comfortable talking to a male doctor about that kind of thing. Also remember your Doctor will have seen this hundreds of times before.

Badger2009 - it sounds like you've reached your inflection point. Now's your time. You're ready to get this sorted once & for all because you're fed up of it. Just understand, it's a doddle. I'm almost 2months past getting it done & it was a no-brainer of which it also appears to be for you.

The first couple days & up to 3 weeks after getting it done it's all you think about & time doesn't seem to go by as quick as you'd like but after that it makes its way to the back of your mind & in no time you're 2months later down the road.

Do it. GP, simple visit, nothing to be afraid of, he has a penis too you know (assuming you get a male) & will only want to help you out as a fellow male with a referral to a urologist. I had good private health ins. & got it done in a top hospital easy-peezy. Cost was about eur1,200 or so all in I saw on the claim but I didn't have to do any paperwork except a signature or two when in hospital on the day. Insurance covered it all. Only costs out of pocket were GP & 2x urologist consults (before & 6weeks after).

Good luck - don't let this sit any longer, it's not worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

Thanks Guys.

Went to the GP Yesterday. He reckons it will probably need a full circ but he's not sure. Got a referral for a urologist and booked an appointment for next month.

Thanks again for the comments/push! I feel like a weight is lifted now as I know I'm on the road to getting it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Fair play man!!
    Keep us updated or ask any questions if you want.
    the hardest hurdle of actually going to get it seem to is over now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Lads, it's been just over a month since the op and it's all gone well. It looks better and I know sex will be better. However, I still have a few stitches that don't seem to be coming out, particularly at the banjo string. I tried sex 2 weeks ago and it was really painful even with a condom on as the stitches on that side kept pulling. Should they not be gone by now?

Best to go to your doc for a check up, see what he says.

I was told 25 days when I had it done. After 29 days, I was certain I still had some stitches in there so I went back to the doc and he told me that they'd all fallen out.

That said, you really shouldn't be having sex, or doing anything like that, until you're certain the stitches are gone. Go to the doc and tell him about your concerns but also tell him that you tried to have sex 'cause it could be important.

All the best.

Hi there,

I am wondering if there are other guys here who developed phimosis , tightness of foreskin as an adult ?
    I would have been tight there in early teenage years but then it all sorted out late teens.
    However, I am 40s now and in recent times it tightened and some tears developed.
    It will retract but only to reveal 60% of the glans.
    The final section of corona/groove/sulcus seems buried and as if the foreskin band has formed an adhesion to bury the "coronal ridge", etc.

One thing which may be significant is that I may have definitely torn the frenulum back over a year ago.
    It used to be regular length and now the frenulum is barely discernable.
    I know there is a procedure called frenuplasty.
    Has anyone had this ? Is is covered by health insurance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jim tully

Hey

I was circumcised when I was about 6-7 and it has left bad scars about an inch below the glans. I have a lot of excess skin since it has grown in the past 20 years. I think my cut is considered loose as it bunches behind the glans when flaccid. I'm wondering is it possible to revise this to a tighter cut where there is less bunching and get rid of the bumpy scars at the same time

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

FOr all of you men that have been circumcised, did you feel you lost much sensitivity in your equipment? And how do you find using condoms?

If anything, it's a lot more sensitive. Any sudden movement can be uncomfortable, especially on the underside.

Using a condom is more or less the same, though you have to be a bit more careful putting it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Waestrel

If anything, it's a lot more sensitive. Any sudden movement can be uncomfortable, especially on the underside.

Using a condom is more or less the same, though you have to be a bit more careful putting it on.

more careful, what problems have you found?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

Waestrel - I was circumcised at a few months old, so I have no experience of having my original foreskin.
    Condoms did not work well with me. They seemed to dull the very little sensation that I otherwise had. Took literally hours to come. Often had to finish off with hand.
    Recently I have restored, by non-surgical means, something akin to a foreskin. The sensations are hugely better.

Waestrel wrote: »
    more careful, what problems have you found?
    Just going slower putting it on. Like I said, the underside is a lot more sensitive so any sudden movement can be uncomfortable.

• Advertisement

As I referenced this thread so much over the years, I decided it was only fair to share my experience.

I suffered greatly for 20 years with pinhole phimosis. This resulted in many failed relationships, social anxiety and depression. This problem robbed me of my masculinity and arguably the best years of my life. Sex was an ordeal due to the issues it raised and penetration was just a task I had to get through. Even simple things like using a urinal in a pub or work had to be planned with military precision to avoid people as my penis ballooned when urinating. Regardless of how many shakes I gave it, I always had a ridiculous amount of drips afterwards. Finally, my penis looked weird when erect as the tight foreskin didn’t allow it to straighten up.

After years of denial, I finally plucked up the courage to deal with my overall issues with depression and one of the root causes, the phimosis. I had a full circumcision done 5 weeks ago and I couldn’t be happier. Honestly, it’ll go down in my life as one of the best decisions I ever made. The minute I took a normal piss in the hospital, a massive weight was lifted. I faced my biggest fear and now I feel like I can accomplish anything.

I was lucky that my work VHI plan covered it and I got it done in the beacon. The nurses and urologist were simply fantastic and I was genuinely amazed at the high level of care they gave me. I took two weeks off work and binged on NetFlix. I had my meals prepared and frozen and took things very easy.

In the past I read all the stuff online about the pain, discomfort, night time erections blah blah blah. Perhaps I was lucky but I’d rate the discomfort level as minimal and definitely manageable. Yes the head is sensitive at the start but we’re talking about a bit of a jolt for a second if you move it awkwardly. The first couple of night-time erections are somewhat alarming, but you wake up and think unsexy thoughts and get rid of it. Seriously, it wasn’t that bad for me and you just deal with it.

After 17 days all the stitches came out with a gently pull. Since then I’ve masturbated gently quite a few times and the pleasure improvement is immense. If given the option of masturbating with my old penis or the new one – new penis wins by a country mile. Way more sensation and it just feels right. Due to the problems outlined above, I don’t have a girlfriend so I can’t report on the sex side of things. Right now I think my penis looks pretty good in fairness. I plan to get back out on the dating scene in the coming weeks and test it out.

Looks lads, if you having a problem with your penis, tell your mates, see a doctor and get the referral to the urologist. All my mates were awesome and really supportive. They were more shocked that I kept this problem to myself for so long. We’ve had many a laugh about it since which would have been unthinkable a few months ago. I look back now and think I was simply crazy not to have dealt with this sooner.

So in closing, I just wanted to say it’s been positive and life changing for the better. By all means do your research and make an informed decision and find a solution to your problem. I wrote this thinking someone out there might be able to relate to my story and help them on their journey.

I’ll keep an eye on the thread for the next while in case anyone has any questions for me. One way or another just make that doctors appointment and take the first step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Elipsis

flaffit wrote: »
    So how long will I have to wait? I am using the public services with a medical card. Will I have to pay anything? It has been 2 months since I saw the doctor and she referred me.

If anyone has any experience with this problem, I would appreciate if you could share the likely outcome of this.

thanks.

I'm 20 years old and it's been exactly two years since I was circumcised. Just like you I originally went to my GP who referred me to a public urologist in Galway.

I waited a few weeks for an appointment but heard nothing back so after making a few enquiries as to when I could be expected to get an appointment I was told it would be at least a year.

I then discovered I actually had private insurance and so booked an appointment in bon secours. Within a week I had a consultation and I was then booked in for an appointment by the end of that same month.

I went in for the operation, spent the morning there and was collected in the afternoon, all went well.

Last month I got a letter in the post informing me that I had an appointment for late August with a urologist. At first I didn't know what it was but then it dawned on me (nearly 2 years later), it was an appointment that my GP had sent away for when I first was told I needed a circumcision. So going through the public system will take quite some time.

I got circumcised due to mild phimosis but I definitely wouldn't get circumcised again unless absolutely necessary. I can only speak for myself, but sensitivity and sensation have dramatically decreased for me since my operation.

I now struggle to maintain erections and if I do get one it's very weak and needs constant stimulation.

Really, for me it's a big regret getting the operation done. I had severe phimosis initially but through stretching I managed to pull my foreskin over the head completely and I think if I stayed stretching a while longer it would have been fine.

I've no hidden agenda and I'm not trying to scare monger anyone who's thinking about getting the operation done. I'm only giving an account of my own experience. Judging by a lot of the comments here, the operation seemed to work out great for some, but unfortunately not in my case.

I'd just consider it very carefully. If you research online, I'm not alone in suffering from problems like this as a result of getting an adult circumcision. Losing your ability to maintain erections and perform properly when with a girl can be quite soul destroying. That might seem a little extreme but when you're a 20 year old in college unable to perform sexually it can have a big effect.

Having a functioning foreskin and all the pleasures that go with it is something you don't appreciate until it's gone. If I could turn back the clock or someone had told me this could potentially happen I know my choice would have been different.

I'm now looking into foreskin restoration and I'd appreciate it if anyone who has tried to restore theirs could let me know how they got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Jim tully wrote: »
    Hey

I was circumcised when I was about 6-7 and it has left bad scars about an inch below the glans. I have a lot of excess skin since it has grown in the past 20 years. I think my cut is considered loose as it bunches behind the glans when flaccid. I'm wondering is it possible to revise this to a tighter cut where there is less bunching and get rid of the bumpy scars at the same time

cheers

Why not try restoration as opposed to further cutting? Getting rid of the scarring is worth looking into though. I had a preputioplasty and I have some scarring which I'm looking to get treatment for.

Elipsis wrote: »

I'm now looking into foreskin restoration and I'd appreciate it if anyone who has tried to restore theirs could let me know how they got on.

Thank you for your story Elipsis.

Mine is detailed in the post here.
    I have now restored a foreskin which is highly realistic in appearance - that was my aim. The sensations are amazing. The web site which has some details and graphic images of the result is
    www.restoringforeskin.org

You will need to subscribe in order to access the members' results postings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Irish19889

Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone here gone through the same as me. Got the procedure done nearly 2 weeks ago now and things don't seem to be healing the way maybe it's supposed to be. Was told to remove the bandage the day after the procedure, when I did the part of the glans which was covered by the bandage was fairly raw. Within a few hours this area began to form a scab and is still covered by a fairly tough scab whereas the part which wasn't covered is just peeling as I think it should. Is this normal and will the scab eventually heal and fall off? Not overally worried as it doesn't seem to be any sign of infection or great pain just looks strange compared to pictures I've seen.
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jim tully

Can someone please put my mind at ease here. I have a few hard bumps right at the site of where the sutures were. I'm 2 weeks now post circ. Will these hard nodules go away?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Biscotti Motti

Iderown wrote: »
    Thank you for your story Elipsis.

Mine is detailed in the lletin/showthread.php?p=84
    I have now restored a foreskin which is highly realistic in appearance - that was my aim. The sensations are amazing. The web site which has some details and graphic images of the result isrestoringforeskin.orrestoringforeski

You will need to subscribe in order to access the members' results postings.

I've just begun restoring myself, how long did it take you to restore?

I've only got 1cm of inner foreskin and a fairly tight cut, should I restore the inner foreskin first before the outer?

Biscotti Motti - I started to restore in about 1993 and declared myself restored about 16 years later. With hindsight, I could have done it in maybe 6 years if I had not taken long, and frequent, breaks. Additionally, there are more techniques for foreskin restoration available nowadays and more information.

The general advice for beginners is to expand all types of skin. It is still a slow process and you can "fine-tune" more successfully near to the end of your restoration.

The open section of the web site at www.restoringforeskin.org has useful information. The regular contributors to that web site are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 brbf

Hi Guys, I'm going in in a few weeks to get the snip, I've had mild phimosis for years but its annoying now and I need to get it sorted.

Just wondering, any of the guys who've had it done, did you Miss your foreskin? Like many guys I like to play with my penis when just e.g. watching tv, and retracting the foreskin when not erect is something I think I'll miss. People talk about sex being better after - is this just because you dont have the retracting/pain issue or is it something else? I was told to take a week off work - and no sex for 6 weeks - is this the norm? Does it take 6 weeks to be back to normal? How bad is the pain in the first week?

Another question, I am almost completely unable to orgasm through penetrative sex - I've always been like this. The only 2 times I have ever managed it is when I had not masturbated for a week or more beforehand. I'm hoping this will help - the doctor said I may need to see a psychotherapist to get it sorted. Am I alone in this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭fartingforfun

Know men who had circumcision late in life, surprised that bell end turned "leathery".Very disappointed with it.
    Sex deviants have been into stretching the Urethra, google that and either buy or make the same device at home.
    Foreskin will stretch, no need to get cut and loose all that.

Advertisement