Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys not sure if this has been discussed bur there are so many pages.

First of kudos this thread really helped me out the last while!

My story I'm 25 and had a full circumcision 2 weeks ago due to recurrent infections and so far so good I'm happy with the results and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined before hand... slight infection in the days after but I'm on the mend.

Only thing bothering me is the yellow/ white/ scabish stuff at the frenulum.. is it tissue growth? Is it a scab? Does it fall off? I'm not sure if I need to be worried. The stiches are coming out and I can now see a loose end sticking our of this mass but I'm afraid to scrub it off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 4greenfields

Dublincut wrote: »
    Hey guys not sure if this has been discussed bur there are so many pages.

First of kudos this thread really helped me out the last while!

My story I'm 25 and had a full circumcision 2 weeks ago due to recurrent infections and so far so good I'm happy with the results and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined before hand... slight infection in the days after but I'm on the mend.

Only thing bothering me is the yellow/ white/ scabish stuff at the frenulum.. is it tissue growth? Is it a scab? Does it fall off? I'm not sure if I need to be worried. The stiches are coming out and I can now see a loose end sticking our of this mass but I'm afraid to scrub it off.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hi,

I didn't have any of the symptoms that you refer to so can't provide any advise save to suggest you talk to the surgeon, clinic, hospital that carried out the procedure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Dublincut wrote: »
    Best to get it checked with your doc.

But it sounds like what I had post op, a mucous-like substance that appeared in the same area. I talked to my friend who'd also been circumcised and he said that he had the same and it was perfectly normal. For me, it lasted about a week or so and then cleared up.

But, like I said, best to get it checked with your doc to eliminate all doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Phantasos

Hey all,

Just wanted to share my progress, because this is one of the only sources of info I found on the net before I did mine and it was super helpful for putting me at ease before I did mine.

It's two weeks since I did my full circumcision, and it finally happened after... oh... over a year of waiting from initial doctor's appointment to the chop. My experience was similar to others - went in early morning, usual tick-the-boxes questions, a bit of waiting, down to the theatre, back to the room, another bit of waiting, and by late afternoon I was on the way home. For the operation itself, once the anesthetic hits you're out like a light before you can sense what's happening. Next thing you know, you're awake and the whole thing is done.

I had read about it online, and lots of threads had talk about wraps and gauze and all that jazz. For me, I had no bandages. It was just a very swollen penis with all those stitches around it. Imagine Jesus' crown of thorns, but it's on your penis. Maybe I was lucky, but I had no bleeding and no infection, and no pains aside from prodding stitches. The swelling looks weird but it'll go down fairly lively.

My penis head hadn't been left exposed in its life, so (like many of you, I'm sure) I had this fear that the icky, sensitive feeling of having it helmet-free forever would feel unbearable. After two weeks, I can happily say that it doesn't feel like that at all, so don't let that worry any of you. It does toughen up and I'm walking around taking no notice.

After two weeks, my penis looks fairly standard. I have five/six stitches that haven't gone yet, and they are really annoying me (honestly, the pokey stitches are the worst part, those morning boners of pain!). If you have worries about doing a circumcision, I would say relax. It was much better/easier than expected.

Questions for you guys:

- How long until the stitches go? They are freaking annoying me. I kinda rubbed off the other crumbly bits of stitches over the last few days, but these stubborn ones aren't the same. I assume I just have to be patient? (Obviously I'm not pulling at them or anything)

- I have a little tic-tac bubble of skin where the frenulum was - anything I read about it online suggests it's fluid build-up that'll go away. Any of you experience it? It's not a big deal, just looks a little weird.

Phantasos wrote: »
    Hey all,

Questions for you guys:

- How long until the stitches go? They are freaking annoying me. I kinda rubbed off the other crumbly bits of stitches over the last few days, but these stubborn ones aren't the same. I assume I just have to be patient? (Obviously I'm not pulling at them or anything)

- I have a little tic-tac bubble of skin where the frenulum was - anything I read about it online suggests it's fluid build-up that'll go away. Any of you experience it? It's not a big deal, just looks a little weird.

Hi,

I'm sure your post will join the many others in re-assuring guys in the Should I? Will I camp?

As to your stitches question - again best to seek advice from where you had the procedure done. In my case I experienced exactly the same thing with a couple of stitches underneath, especially the "tie-off" stitch which kept catching in underwear.

From what I have read here and elsewhere stitches can come out naturally anytime between two and six weeks depending on age, speed of recovery etc.

Having checked with Doc Sam I established that six weeks - they should be all out. The last few weren't so I invested in a new small sharp pair of nail scissors and a pair of tweezers.

I spent 20 / 30 mins in the bath and then took out any remaining stitches. It was very straightforward and I didn't experience any pain or discomfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

9 months post op and I'd say to anyone considering getting the chop, definitely 100% do it!!

I'm 24, genuinely don't know how I survived before hand. The main plus side to it for me personally is the confidence I have now. I used to be scared to bring a girl home because I mightn't get it up. Now I'm able to stay hard even after I ejaculate sometimes.

The whole procedure was scary but once its done you'll be a new man. Just my experience on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭argentum

Hi guys

Just to say thanks to everyone who posted on here. This time tomorrow I'll be under the knife and without all the posts on this thread I wouldn't have made it this far. I can't say I'm looking forward to the op or initial recovery but am definitely looking forward to the final outcome ....SEX

argentum wrote: »

but am definitely looking forward to the final outcome ....SEX

It's a powerful incentive! You'll be fine, good luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Best of luck.

Once the operation is done with, the relief will kick in and just knowing tou're on the road to recovery makes the recovery period easier to deal with.

Just an update for anyone interested.Had the procedure carried out on Wednesday in The Beacon hospital.The staff and the surgeon were brilliant and couldn't have been any nicer.I didn't expect to have blood tests or an ECG test before hand but they took my mind off everything.Got to the theatre and listened to Coldplay on the radio as the drugs worked and knocked me out.Woke up and was given a tea and some toast. I couldn't feel anything down there and a nurse came in and explained that I had an injection in my penis to numb the area for a few hours.The bandage was huge and it left the head sticking out but to be honest I didn't really want to look at it.Another nurse told me that I had to pee twice before I could leave.Its a bit weird peeing when you can't feel anything down there.my wife collected me and home to bed I went. I have to say maybe I've been lucky but when I had a vasectomy a few years ago there was more pain.I haven't had to take any pain killers since I got home.I took off the bandages on Thursday morning in the bath and had my first shower today as I didn't want to use shampoo or shower gel on an open wound. One hint for anyone I've cut up cotton hankies into smaller squares and wrap it around my penis. This seems to stop the rubbing again underwear that I've seen mentioned and so I haven't experienced that over sensitivity of the head yet.
    One thing I have noticed is that I definitely miss seeing my foreskin as it's just looks weird without it so maybe when the swelling goes down and the stiches desolve it will look better.Also early mornings are a bit uncomfortable but manageable with a semi.As nearly everyone else says on this thread...sorry I didn't get it done years ago and now I'm just counting down the days.

• Advertisement

argentum wrote: »
    Just an update for anyone interested.Had the procedure carried out on Wednesday in The Beacon hospital....sorry I didn't get it done years ago and now I'm just counting down the days.

Thanks for the update - I'm sure plenty of guys in the future will take comfort and reassurance from your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jadajada

I had my partial done 6 weeks ago due to phimosis.
    The tissue is getting tighter than before, it is hard to uncover the glans and painful.
    The inner tissue is pretty swollen en still there is coming lymph out of the skin, a lot.

so what should i do. Should i follow some procedures to make sure the ring won't get too tight again, or is this normal and should i just wait until it is fully healed.
    the scar itself looks neat but when the inner skin comes it is swollen and still producing fluids.
    I also contacted the clinic with the same question, but i want to have more opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 snipped

Just had mine done on Monday morning. Full circumcision.

I had consulted my GP in Jan 2015, was seen by a urologist in Feb 2015 and was on a wait list for one year. So, a bit of a wait but still faster.

I'm 2 days post-op and things are going well, just learning to deal with the discomfort and sensitivity of having the head exposed for the first time properly in 26 years. Still "surprises" me if I lean over and move my leg a certain way and the head brushes against the fabric of my clothes. As of writing this message, it's getting easier and easier.

Had a look at the site itself and everything looks good! Still very pink, still sensitive and there is some swelling but I'm extremely pleased. As someone mentioned, it's kind of strange not seeing the foreskin anymore when I go to pee or adjust it but I'll get used to it. I was expecting the stitches to look a lot worse to be honest, but it seems okay.

Advised not to exercise for a while or have sex/masturbate for around 6 weeks. I have two weeks off work to be extra safe so for now it's twice daily Savlon/TCP baths, taking it easy and making sure recovery is a smooth as possible.

jadajada wrote: »

so what should i do.

I would definitely go back to the clinic and get it checked out. We can give our opinions here, but everyone's body is different and no-one's advice will be as concrete as the clinic's itself.

Just had my follow-up appointment today following my circumcision a few weeks back. Everything is healed up nicely and hopefully that's it done and dusted.

I remember, on my first doctor's appointment, I was so worried about popping a boner when I got my penis examined. After a number of doctors looking at it since the start of this process, can I just say that my only embarrassment is how freaking tiny it manages to make itself! :pac:

Phantasos wrote: »
    I would definitely go back to the clinic and get it checked out. We can give our opinions here, but everyone's body is different and no-one's advice will be as concrete as the clinic's itself.

Just had my follow-up appointment today following my circumcision a few weeks back. Everything is healed up nicely and hopefully that's it done and dusted.

I remember, on my first doctor's appointment, I was so worried about popping a boner when I got my penis examined. After a number of doctors looking at it since the start of this process, can I just say that my only embarrassment is how freaking tiny it manages to make itself! :pac:

That's good to hear!

Yeah I have an appointment this Saturday to get this checked, but since they are not to familiar with partial circumcision I want to hear from others what they were told and how they managed.

Yeah I have an appointment this Saturday to get this checked, but since they are not to familiar with partial circumcision I want to hear from others what they were told and how they managed.

Only advice I can add is to re-iterate what has already been said - get back to the clinic that performed the procedure.

Don't understand when you say the clinic you are going to on Saturday aren't familiar with partials - are you not going back to when it was carried out in the first place??

Only advice I can add is to re-iterate what has already been said - get back to the clinic that performed the procedure.

Don't understand when you say the clinic you are going to on Saturday aren't familiar with partials - are you not going back to when it was carried out in the first place??

Well I am, but the clinic has a Turkish background, so mostly Muslims will come and will do a full circumcision mostly at a very young age, I chose this clinic because they offered the clamp method. So this Saturday I have an appointment with the surgeon.

If anyone had a partial I would love to hear some before I return to the clinic :)

Well I am, but the clinic has a Turkish background, so mostly Muslims will come and will do a full circumcision mostly at a very young age, I chose this clinic because they offered the clamp method. So this Saturday I have an appointment with the surgeon.

If anyone had a partial I would love to hear some before I return to the clinic :)

Let us know how you got on - hope everything went well.

Let us know how you got on - hope everything went well.

So I went. And it's a huge pity. I was supposed to after three weeks to stretch the scar so it wouldn't grow tight, but they didn't say so. I'm quite mad.

The surgeon said the inner skin was still elastic since is couldn't heal properly while being covered. Although it is tighter than it was weeks ago. So I hope I'm just in time to make sure I won't get the same issues as before.

Skin really is very elastic - I'm sure everything will turn out fine, just follow his directions and orders and maybe go back to the clinic again in another six weeks so that they can check progress and you can put your mind at ease.

Best of luck with the process.

• Advertisement

This is a fantastic thread and thanks for all the contributions.

I got circumcised 5 days ago due to phimosis. To be honest I have been surprised at how relatively painless the op was compared to my expectations (my wisdom teeth op was far worse). However, psychologically it has been a fair old shock to the system - I felt a bit panicked and nervous after the operation and that weird anxiousness took about two days to get over - this may have been the anesthetic wearing off but I am sure it was also genuine shock at what I was looking at down there!

I know this is not the place for medical advice but I would like to hear other people's experiences re the below:

- My bandage fell off the day after the op (with a little encouragement from myself). Once that happened a large ring of swelling developed all the way around the penis where the stitches are - it is large enough that I can't see the stitches at all. Is this ring of skin normal and will it reduce in size soon? The swelling skin is larger on one side and 'puffs out' more to the right - should I be worried? The last thing I want is a wonky looking cucumber!

- How soon can I go running/play sports again?

-I don't feel much pain, even with erections in the morning. However, the sensitivity of the newly exposed skin is just crazy - I'm expecting this to die down over the next few days? Compression shorts at night are brilliant for stopping things from moving around.

-My frenulum appears to have been left intact - is this normal? Tbh I presumed they would remove it and now I'm regretting not asking about it.

-In the first few days after the op I wasn't peeing straight, presumably due to swelling in the glans. It has improved but still not fully back on target - have other people experienced this and how long did it take to normalise?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give :-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Remember guys, personal stories are fine, but please no medical advice.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Well Lads, I had mine done on Tuesday so I thought I'd share my story so far. Surgery went well was in late afternoon so was kept overnight as the anesthetic hadn't wore off in time. I was actually glad cause that first night was a huge worry for me.

Went to toilet for the first time post op and basically peed all over my bandage. Nurse cleaned me up and left me without dressing as the wound looked clean and there was no blood.

Que the erections....they weren't too bad as I couldn't really sleep so I was "catching" them as they started and stood out to let the blood flow away from the penis. I was let out yesterday and bar it being a bit uncomfortable I managed through the day fine.

Last night though was a different story. I've been woken on the hour by a massive erection and one actually drew a nice but of blood. I cleaned myself up and bandaged it up but since then I havent been able to sleep with the fear. I drift off but as soon as I can feel the blood filling up again I'm awake. Honestly I'm feckin knackered.

Hopefully these will stop and I might get some sleep during the day.

I will keep updates on here as I go day by day. It might help someone and it will also let me keep track of my recovery (hopefully)

I know that this is probably too much information but last night I had my first normal erection in years just two weeks after the operation.I still have some stiches in but I have to say it looked fecking brilliant.Thanks once again to everyone that ever posted on this as there was no way I would have got it done without ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2 snipped

Hi everyone,

So I'm about a week and half post-op and things are going great. No pain left apart from stitches on underside of glans getting rubbed slightly in underwear. Swelling has down by a lot so now it actually just looks like those diagrams in textbooks/information leaflets on circumcision - which is a relief to be honest as part of me worried the "scarf" as someone called it would always be there.

Was able to do much more walking around but still taking it quite easy. Haven't done any exercise/masturbation or had sex yet. Will try and hold off for another 2-3 weeks before any of that.

Argentum & Snipped,

Great to hear that things are going so well and that you're happy with the results.

Would you ever go back to pre-circ living again??? - I'll bet not.

Hopefully others will take comfort from your stories and pluck up the courage to visit their GP / clinic

Well done guys

Just wanted to update on my progress so far...

The bruising and swelling has really started now. I think some of that is down to the erections during the night. I woke last night to a small bit of blood but noticed a lot more on my shorts and shirt when I got up. I barely slept again last night as I am so anxious about the pain and the chance of doing damage. I'm absolutely knackered.
    I was out and about a fair bit today so I am sore enough at the moment. The head is showing signs of drying out and doesn't seem to be as sensitive. If I could get a handle on the nighttime issues I would be happy enough.

One week post op and I'm still pretty sore.

I'm still bleeding a little and while there is no pus there does seem to be an odour from the frenulum area of the incision. It just seems sticky down there. I visited my GP and while he said he didn't think there was an infection, he prescribed me antibiotics just in case. He said you should never take any chances especially down there.

The nighttime incidents are a little better now and I usually wake up and let it settle and go back to sleep. What's a little worrying the amount of blood spots in my pants. Is this normal?

I am back to work unfortunately but nothing intensive. I'd much rather be at home but I was needed and agreed no heavy labour.

All in all between pain and lack of sleep I'm pretty much sick of it now and kinda sorry I got it done at all :(

They cut it off ....don't give up just yet. I too went back to the doctor about the smell and he gave me antibiotics which cleared it up. The lack of sleep is annoying its like when you first have kids but that does stop as do the painful night time erections. I use a small cut up piece of cotton cloth in my jocks and I haven't had blood spots in 7-8 days now and everything is completely settled down. I was 3 weeks yesterday I still have 5 stitches left but other than that everything is fine. I don't miss my foreskin but I do miss wearing boxers as I still wear tight jocks to help the healing process

• Advertisement

Guys,

don't lose heart. You're both over the hump amd life will just get better from here on. I know it's sometimes difficult to be patient and that sometimes it feels like everything revolves around your penis. But be assured - this too will pass.

Advertisement