Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Iderown

There are DIY techniques that circumcised men use to create a reasonable approximation to an intact foreskin. They involve skin expansion by gentle pulling on the remaining skin. I have done this myself and am happy with the result.
    Do a Google search for "Foreskin restoration"

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marchy

Does anyone who has gotten a circumcision work in 'physical' job and if so how long did they wait to go back to work? I work in a job where I use power tools, lift heavy materials etc I was hoping I wouldn't need to take too much time off work but after reading this thread I am starting to think otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭fantastic98

govinda wrote: »
    Hi there

I had a circumcision, for the same reasons as you, just last year. It was definitely worth the embarassment and pain ;-)

First off, you will need a referral to a urologist - any GP can give you a letter. Perhaps you can ring a GPs surgery in a neighbouring town/area to make an appointment with a male GP if that will make you more at ease.

I went on a waiting list for about six months to have the procedure done privately. Recovery took about two weeks and it was quite painful the first few days, after that just tender.

Feel free to post again or PM me if you need any more details.

Best of luck!
    glad you had a successful operation. but sadly in my case it hasn't healed completely after 6 years.it's still sore to handle it and the pain is actually the same pain I used to get when I tried to retract the foreskin pre circumcision days.but it's been good for hygiene. cosmetically it looks good and you'd never think there was pain in it. I'm insulin dependent diabetic so that might affect it. someone talked about the diabetic cut . anyway that's my story. it's in working order and with a condom on there is no pain . cheers.thanks for reading this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

marchy wrote: »
    Does anyone who has gotten a circumcision work in 'physical' job and if so how long did they wait to go back to work? I work in a job where I use power tools, lift heavy materials etc I was hoping I wouldn't need to take too much time off work but after reading this thread I am starting to think otherwise...
    I'm farming and needed a week off. And the next 2 were a bit uncomfortable too when working but more delicate than painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Just wondering what people here told their employers when they needed the time off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Shoco83 wrote: »
    Just wondering what people here told their employers when they needed the time off?

Your employer doesn’t need to know the nature of the operation. Either call in sick on the day of it or say that you are having a small operation and will be out for X days, that’s all they need to know

• Registered Users Posts: 1 samgi

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of having a circ on the NHS? Just curious as to average waiting time from pre op assessment to surgery. Was told by the urologist I saw that I was a more severe case.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had mine done as an emergency surgery due to a fractured penis that I 'encountered' one time. It was done under general anaesthetic and due to the injury I had I also had a catheter fitted.

It was sore the first day or two, but any time I got an erection was extremely painful since the stitches were stretched. The soreness decreased after that, but the biggest thing for me to was de-sensitising the head. It took a while and sometimes the slighted touch can make you wince.

I'll also add that I had foreskin that wouldn't retract behind the head for me and made sex quite painful at time, so it was a win win for me. I'd recommend it. Short term discomfort for long term gain.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Your employer doesn’t need to know the nature of the operation. Either call in sick on the day of it or say that you are having a small operation and will be out for X days, that’s all they need to know

Yeah guess so, booked in in two weeks, office job so hopefully won't need much time off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Seanachai

OhChicken wrote: »
    If you are unhappy with the cut, does anyone know if it is possible to have plastic reinstatement work on your foreskin?

There are some ongoing new developments that may make it possible to regrow the foreskin.

http://www.foregen.org/

• Advertisement

So had this done two days ago in the Bon Secours in Dublin, so far so good apart from almost fainting the first time I seen it, I did faint the first time I seen my nose after I broke it so guess I'm just squeamish.

The instruction I got after the procedure were to bath it daily in salt water and dry with a hair dryer. Also to apply a bit of Vaseline to help with any friction.

I'm still putting a dressing on it it so haven't used the Vaseline yet.

I really wasn't sure what to expect alert if from reading some of the stories here, but I haven't had any pain at all, and the dressing obviously helps with the sensitivity, so I think I'll keep using them for a few days.

I have woken up a few times during the night with erections, they have been more uncomfortable than painful though

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

I have woken up a few times during the night with erections, they have been more uncomfortable than painful though

This is where vaseline may be useful. I still have scarring from torn stitches due to nocturnal erections while healing...
    Also once the skin has sealed you can use bio-oil to reduce any scarification or discolouring.

Cyclepath wrote: »
    This is where vaseline may be useful. I still have scarring from torn stitches due to nocturnal erections while healing...
    Also once the skin has sealed you can use bio-oil to reduce any scarification or discolouring.

Think I will do that tonight, I fear one of the stitches has ripped as the last two night have been painful, it tends to bleed at this spot too and there's always dried blood which I was off in the morning. If the erections keep opening it I'm not sure how's it's going to heal!

Going to go to see the gp tomorrow before I go back to work on Wednesday just to make sure everything is ok.

How long did everyone else keep a dressing on it?

Didn't put a dressing on today, used tight boxers for a bit of support but it's very uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 17 northwest40s

Just had my surgery yesterday evening in the Beacon. Local anaesthetic. I'm not squeamish so it was ok. Stinging after though. Thought I was going to burst with the erections at night. Very little sleep. I'm tellig myself that every day will be better. Head very sensitive. Hope it gets better looking. It's awful lookin now.

How long did everyone else keep a dressing on it?

Didn't put a dressing on today, used tight boxers for a bit of support but it's very uncomfortable

What kind of dressing did you use? I just had my surgery yesterday. Still quite stingy but haven't had painkillers for about 7 hours now.

I had a shower for the first time since the surgery this morning and all went well. A bit of a sting when the water rand down on the head at first. I was pleasantly surprised at how it looks. I was expecting it to be very raw but it was ok. The head is still very sensitive and I've decided to sit down to piss for the first few days. I had a bit of a "why did I get it done?" time yesterday evening but feeling a bit better now. It's great to hear all the comments.

It was just a non stick dressing wrapped around it, I used it for about 5 days just for comfort, once I stopped using it the first few days were a bit uncomfortable walking around with the senseitivity and the stitches on the underside.

My doc told me to keep using the pain killers until the sensitivity was ok.

It's 11 days now and is looking a lot better and I'm sleeping though the night now. Still looks a bit messy in the morning but once you clean it it doesn't look to bad

I'm back to work on Tue so hopefully I won't be walking like John Wayne..
    I don't really have any direct pain now. I'm using a strip of non stick dressing too. Just for soakage in case there's any small bit of bleeding. I'm looking forward to St Patrick's weekend. That'll be my 4 week goal.

You're not hanging around going back to work, I took a week off but went to my gp for a check up just ta make sure everything was ok, he said there was a slight infection so signed me off for another few days and put me on anti biotics for 5 days, I'll go back to work Monday but will probably go to the gp again during the week just to be safe

• Advertisement

I did mine privately. I didn't go through my GP. My surgeon put me on antibiotics the day of the surgery just in case of infection so I'm just going to finish the course off now. I'm only taking the odd painkiller. I was told to take 2 nurofen plus AND 2 paracetamol every 6 hours but I just did that for the first 24 hours. I honestly thought I'd be crawling up the walls with pain... so far so good.

Yeah I have been surprised by how little pain there has been, still jump when I rub the head the wrong way though when moving about but that's more the sensitivity. I don't think the pain killers can do anything for that

I only went to my gp for piece of mind, I don't go back to the surgeon for 4 weeks after the procedure

12 days since I had it done, on average when do the stitches start to come out?

I've heard different things but I think somewhere between 2 and 3 weeks. This time 3 days ago I was just lying down to get it done... Today wasn't as good as yesterday but I was doing more and had to meet a friend for lunch. No mention of me walking funny though.

Hello again. Just wondering how you're getting on. The swelling is gone down a lot. I spoke with my surgeon yesterday and he said to start bathing it in warm salty water. I think it really helped. I just found an old jug and threw a good bit of salt in it and dipped it in the water and left it there. He also told me to let the shower head run on it. He said if I could call back to him in a couple of weeks to check up with him how it's progressing. Still a tiny little bit of bleeding but only a few drops. No real pain from the wound. Just discomfort on the head of it now. The stitches are quite rough poking in to the wound area. One of them fell out and I actually snipped another one that was really pulling hard on the healing skin. Hope you're doing well. I take an occasional painkiller too. Nurofen plus is the best to take the edge off for me.

Hey, yeah I'm doing good, I have no pain at all and some of the stitches have come out now. I'm kinda use to the sensitivity now which help.

It still feel a bit tender if walking and distances or stairs but all good. There are some scabs that I'm trying hard not to pick at!

Hello again. A lot of the swelling has gone down now and one of the stitches was really tight and I woke up with the stinging this morning. It was so stretched that i ended up snipping the stitch myself. I read on another post that it's the "cheese wire" syndrome where the stitches are cutting through the skin as it heals... I'm a good healer I guess. The relief when that was loosened up was great after a while and a shower... I remember I had stitches before and when I went back to get them out the nurse said my skin had grown around the knots so I had to grin and bear it while they were taken out. I still have a bit of a bandage just around the scar area. The bit at the frenulum is scabbing up a bit. The head is starting to get a little less sensitive. I keep telling people I have a bit of a sore back when I jump a little if the head gets a bit squished.. I'm looking forward to this time next week to see how it is... 6 days done now. Most of the bruising is gone.

Yeah my frenulum looked very bad for a while and was very sensitive to touch but the as the stitches came out the scab came with them and looks fine now.

It certainly looks like the stitches around the rest did cut into the skin, hopefully that will all heal up soon, still have a few stitches on the left side

Well I'm on day 10 now and all seems to be healing nicely. Just the stitches still there. A couple of them seemed to be unravelling so i just pulled on them and they just pulled through. No pain thankfully. I've been using my old jug with warm salty water a few times a day and I think it's really helping.

I still put on a dressing when I'm going to work and tight fitted boxers just until the stitches are gone. It keeps me from jumping if it gets squashed going up or down stairs. If I wince in a bit of pain I just blame it on a sore back even though I'd love to grab my crotch and fix it in a better position. No one has caught me readjusting myself so far.

Last night I had an erection that wouldn't go away and it was a bit stinging so I had to give in and clear the pipes. It didn't take much but I have to say that it looks great.!!! I was expecting rips and blood this morning but I was very gentle with it. Hope everything is going well for you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 IcePoseidon

I did mine privately. I didn't go through my GP. My surgeon put me on antibiotics the day of the surgery just in case of infection so I'm just going to finish the course off now. I'm only taking the odd painkiller. I was told to take 2 nurofen plus AND 2 paracetamol every 6 hours but I just did that for the first 24 hours. I honestly thought I'd be crawling up the walls with pain... so far so good.

If you don't mind me asking, which doctor did you do it with privately? I have read about one near Dublin that does it for around €1000, however I'm still unsure if I should go private or GP.

Advertisement