Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Circumcision Story

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,620 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was circumcised as a newborn.... never really been a problem for me in the slightest. Except to say ye irish have some strange reservations about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Overheal wrote: »
    I was circumcised as a newborn.... never really been a problem for me in the slightest. Except to say ye irish have some strange reservations about it.

its just we are not use to it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Normally threads being reborn is not such a good thing but in this case it's good to see an original poster following up for others thinking of going through the same procedure. Good to hear you had a good result.
    gcgirl wrote:
    its just we are not use to it!
    True and we're not used to it being done on newborns where there is no medical need and complications can and do happen, like in the US. My original feelings on the matter would be the same. Explore all other possibilities of therapy before going for this. IMHO too many doctors are too quick to head straight for surgery.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

brum wrote: »
    . how are things lads?

funny thing, I was reading this thread just last week wondering the same. I'm the same as you - never looked back. It's like the driving test - from time to time I'll worry about it out of force of habit, then I'll remember it's all done and be delighted. Everything is much better and I'm annoyed at myself I left it so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brum

tbh wrote: »
    funny thing, I was reading this thread just last week wondering the same. I'm the same as you - never looked back. It's like the driving test - from time to time I'll worry about it out of force of habit, then I'll remember it's all done and be delighted. Everything is much better and I'm annoyed at myself I left it so long.

haha, ye im the same - i used to check back from time to time to see what others were saying and too give a bit of advice. I feel the same as you though. I was 23 when i got it done and knew back when i was 18 id need the op. Kept putting it off. never looked back.

Not to be blunt or anything but if anyone is having trouble in their sex life and wondering if getting this done will solve that problem - get it done... worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Shurwhynot

Can someone talk me through the steps they went to get the circumsision done? Is everyone covered by medical insurance or how much does it cost etc??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

reading this topic has helped - im nowhere near as badly off as id thought. i can retract my foreskin over the head easily while flaccid, but the 'banjo string' pulls on the back end and kinda makes it curve downwards. when erect, i can usually pull it back to about halfway over the head, further than that and its sore if i push it. the odd time im really in the mood, or using lube, it can slip over but then the 'banjo string' (forget the real name) gets tight and painful. i think ill try the stretching thing for a few weeks- try and get it a bit further each time. if that fails or i give up ill probably ask a GP about the cream/gel which has been reccommended here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the 'banjo string' (forget the real name)
    Frenelum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,620 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the term banjo string sounds scary.... yep, no regrets here :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

reading this topic has helped - im nowhere near as badly off as id thought. i can retract my foreskin over the head easily while flaccid, but the 'banjo string' pulls on the back end and kinda makes it curve downwards. when erect, i can usually pull it back to about halfway over the head, further than that and its sore if i push it. the odd time im really in the mood, or using lube, it can slip over but then the 'banjo string' (forget the real name) gets tight and painful. i think ill try the stretching thing for a few weeks- try and get it a bit further each time. if that fails or i give up ill probably ask a GP about the cream/gel which has been reccommended here.
    There's a small operation that relaxes the pressure on the banjo string. A mate of mine had that done. The first doctor he went to recommended the full circumcision, but after some research he decided to go the less invasive route. It's how I came to find out about this stuff in the first place.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I think I need help too?? I was circumcised as a kid for a medical reason which I'm not going to go into here.

I can get "it" hard no problem, but I just can't seem to "cum"?

Any advice?

MM

I'm not sure that they are related, mate, but you should check with your doc to make sure. The best advice I could give would be don't be embarrassed. I was, and it meant I waited for years to sort out the problem. Don't make the same mistake, you only get so many years of sex, it's a shame to waste any :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭brum

Yip yip... i agree... go to the doc. Doctors have seen everything so dont worry a bit.

And I have to say that noting cuming isnt the worst thing that could happen but you may as well enjoy every aspect of sex you can while you can. Make a plan to go to the doctor by the end of the week and stick to it.... you wont be sorry walking out the doctors door!

brum wrote: »
    Yip yip... i agree... go to the doc. Doctors have seen everything so dont worry a bit.

And I have to say that noting cuming isnt the worst thing that could happen but you may as well enjoy every aspect of sex you can while you can. Make a plan to go to the doctor by the end of the week and stick to it.... you wont be sorry walking out the doctors door!

Thanks. I have to go back to my urologist in a couple of weeks to get some x-ray results for a different thing altogether, so I'll chat with him then(if I don't chicken out like I did last time!?)

:o

the hardest part is saying "while I'm here...." after that, you are committed!

tbh wrote: »
    the hardest part is saying "while I'm here...." after that, you are committed!

Tell me about it! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anoncircirl

Hi All;

I was wondering if anyone knows of any urologists / consultants who can reccommend partial circumcision. (Where the problem tip of the foreskin is removed, but not the whole thing.) So far the urologist I've been in contact with has been dismissive of the idea!

Also, if anyone has got it done privately, how much did it cost?

You can also email me privately at anoncircirl AT gmail.com - would really appreciate any info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 armdevro

Hi All;
    partial circumcision... Where the problem tip of the foreskin is removed, but not the whole thing...

...- would really appreciate any info.

Hi all,

I have found this discussion most informative and very interesting. My query/problem is almost identical to that posted by anoncircirl.

I am curious to know if anyone has the name of a urologist/plastic surgeon who carries out the "partial" circumcision (I think I've seen it called "preputioplasty" before).

See this wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preputioplasty for some info.

I think I have an identical problem to anoncircirl. Flaccid, I have no problem pulling my foreskin all the way back. My "banjo string"/frenulum causes little or no grief at all. But when erect, my foreskin will only come back maybe half-way (meaning only half of the head gets exposed). It's not uncomfortable for me ever - except when I'm forcefully stretching it, trying to pull back my foreskin further than it wants to go. I can have sex completely enjoyably without pulling my foreskin back behind the head.

In a way, this kind of makes me think that any intervention might be completely unnecessary... as someone else on this discussion board said, "If it ain't broke"... But sometimes (and this might sound stupid) I wonder if I'm missing out on something... Like, maybe if my foreskin worked completely normally, sex would be even more enjoyable..?

If anyone has any information on how to go about getting the preputioplasty operation, please post here. I would be willing to travel if this operation is not available in Ireland.

Thanks,

A.D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 armdevro

I see that a separate discussion board exists in relation to preputioplasty already. See here.

Thanks all.

Anyone know of a private clinic in the munster/ connaught region that will perform a full circumcision?

I am a 19 year old who has tried various gels to get the foreskin looser
    with little success. I have been to see my gp three times about this over the last three years and he has been dismissive about the idea, he has given me gels and said it doesnt have to go back fully, even though I have told him sex is uncomfortable with a condom and plenty of ky gel.I would prefer not to have to deal with him to be honest, could anyone recommend me a clinic to get this done privately?

I dont have a medical card or health insurance, dont care how much it costs, their is surely a cosmetic surgeon place that does circumcision's, gp said it would cost well over 2 grand and I would be waiting minimum 8 months for the operation, is the pr!ck telling the truth?

• Advertisement

form the sounds of it, the GP is right about the wait and the cost. I had mine done privately, and it cost about that much, and I was waiting for three months.

however.

You simply will not be able to get this done without a referral from your GP. That's the way the system works. If you don't want to go back to your GP, go to another one, or two. If they all say the same thing, start listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hotshot_rf

Hi All,

This is a very informative thread but im still quite confused. Im a mid twenty professsional male who has a tight foreskin. It roles back no problem when flaccid and if i roll it back before i get hard, it staays back but is quite tight and uncomfortable. If im already hard, it will not roll back. So im confused as I have no problems when flaccid and it can roll back before i get erect. Visited doctor and urologist and they just reccommended cirrcumcision. However, i dont know if i actually need one. Can anyone offer advice.

can't really offer any advice over and above what you've already been told, to be honest. If it's not rolling back when you are erect, that's a problem, right?

true. but i can roll it back some way so maybe it can be solved with circumcision??? can you have a full sex life without rolling back foreskin??

well, I did before I got the op - a period of about five years or so. It's like sex with six condoms on. I know what you mean, it's possible that the fact that you can retract it while flacid means that you don't necessarily have to get the op done, but who'd know better than a doc and urologist? I'm just trying to make the point that if they say you need one, are you going to give more weight to some internet stranger? :)

thanks for your advice. i feel that the doctor just refers you to get you off his books and the urologist just puts you forward for the op because ur sitting in front of him with a tight foreskin. i dont know, im still not 100% happy to go ahead with it. appearancewise, how will i be different. 6 months post op will i notice any difference day to day?? Thanks TBH. Are you happy with yours?

hotshot_rf wrote: »
    thanks for your advice. i feel that the doctor just refers you to get you off his books and the urologist just puts you forward for the op because ur sitting in front of him with a tight foreskin. i dont know, im still not 100% happy to go ahead with it. appearancewise, how will i be different. 6 months post op will i notice any difference day to day?? Thanks TBH. Are you happy with yours?

I'm delighted, and mainly because I don't have to think about it any more. Before I got the op, I was pretty sure there was a problem and I knew it would be difficult to deal with - I just was afraid of taking the first step. Now, My only regret is that I didn't get it done sooner. You know, don't be afraid to go to another doctor for a second opinion! I know it's a lot to think about, but it's really less significant for me now than it was before. Appearance wise, you won't have a foreskin :) that's really the only difference, six months from now, the only time you'll notice a difference is when you see it. Honestly, it doesn't feel any different for me, except now it's not sore or itchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Anyone know of a private clinic in the munster/ connaught region that will perform a full circumcision?

I am a 19 year old who has tried various gels to get the foreskin looser
    with little success. I have been to see my gp three times about this over the last three years and he has been dismissive about the idea, he has given me gels and said it doesnt have to go back fully, even though I have told him sex is uncomfortable with a condom and plenty of ky gel.I would prefer not to have to deal with him to be honest, could anyone recommend me a clinic to get this done privately?

I dont have a medical card or health insurance, dont care how much it costs, their is surely a cosmetic surgeon place that does circumcision's, gp said it would cost well over 2 grand and I would be waiting minimum 8 months for the operation, is the pr!ck telling the truth?

Dr Sayid Jeffrey performed my circumcision in Bon Secours in Galway there 2 weeks ago. His office is in Galway clinic. No problems with the OP at all, I had to get because I'd phimosis. Asked around a few of my friends and I *lot* of people have same problem as me, foreskin a bit hard to come back when erect. PM if you've any questions.

Hey all -thanks for this useful information on the board.

For the guys who have had it done, I have two questions

- How long did it take your stitches to fall out? 15 days after my op, I have still got ALL of them!

- How long did you wait before masturbating? I'm going loco here! Did you actually go for 4 weeks or whatever without having a crack at it?

:-(

• Advertisement

Hey all -thanks for this useful information on the board.

For the guys who have had it done, I have two questions
    - How long did it take your stitches to fall out? 15 days after my op, I have still got ALL of them!

Think it was about 3 weeks for me...there or there abouts
    - How long did you wait before masturbating? I'm going loco here! Did you actually go for 4 weeks or whatever without having a crack at it?

:-(

not four weeks, four days maybe :) it was quite sore, but I needed the reassurance! normal service was resumed after about three weeks or so.

Advertisement