Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

150euro to renew a domain that was expired

• 07-03-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hey,
    An Irish hosting company(again in one of the top 3 irish ones) just charged a client 150 euro for a .com that had expired in feb ... they said it has gone into redemption, they still were holding it when you checked a whois, Is this normal practise? This isnt for hosting its just for the renewal of a .com for a year?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

That's really, really expensive. In fact it's more expensive than the most expensive domains in the world (.ie). I wouldn't spend more than €20 to register a .com domain.

Who owns the domain? The hosting company or the client? If the former, well it's a case of caveat emptor: anyone who wants a domain name should own that name themselves. If, however, the client owns the domain name, they should go directly to ICANN and complain about the hosting company - what they're doing is illegal (squatting), and ICANN will remove their accreditation and they will no longer be able to provide .com, .org. .net. etc domains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

If the domain is in "redemption" then the hosting company would have to pay over 100 euro to renew the domain.
    This fee has nothing to do with the normal renewal fee.
    ICANN cannot help you, as no Irish companies are ICANN accredited. Even if they were ICANN will not intervene unless they are in breach of ICANN policies, which are not as simple as some people may wish to think

No they don't. If the domain expired in feb, there's a grace period of 45 days - see http://www.icann.org/registrars/redemption-supplement-20feb02.htm

bpmurray wrote:
    No they don't. If the domain expired in feb, there's a grace period of 45 days - see http://www.icann.org/registrars/redemption-supplement-20feb02.htm

Yes there's a grace period, but there is nothing to stop a registrar charging for that facility, as the registrar will be billed by ICANN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭jmcc

bpmurray wrote:
    When you are finished giving us the benefit of your expertise in domain matters, read the following:

Expiry: 1 - 45 days. The registrar can keep the domain in expired status for this period. Sometimes registrars will flip the domain to registrar-hold status which means that the domain is not included in the zone but can be reactivated by the registrant, often at just the cost of a domain renewal. Some registrars will kick the domain into RGP within a few days.

Redemption Grace Period: 1-30 days. The domain can be redeemed but the costs are around $100. The costs are passed on to the user with a charge for the registrar's time.

Pending Deletion: Approximately 5 days before the domain is deleted, it goes to this status.

The RGP can vary from registrar to registrar. Some are generous and some are not so generous.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It should also be added that although still (relatively) expensive, IE domains are not the most expensive domains in the world. Not by a long shot.

I love posters that answer authoritatively, while demonstrating their ignorance of the topic in-hand at the same time. Makes my day shine.

adam

Ken Shabby wrote:
    It should also be added that although still (relatively) expensive, IE domains are not the most expensive domains in the world. Not by a long shot.

A lot of the ICANN registrars are currently selling below cost.. so with the new Verisign deal I wonder how much longer they'll keep that up .....

Ken Shabby wrote:
    I love posters that answer authoritatively, while demonstrating their ignorance of the topic in-hand at the same time. Makes my day shine.

adam
    Ah yes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭PTL

Well it wasnt blackknight :) how much would you guys have charged cause im seriously considering moving all my registration to you guys as you are alot cheaper on .ie domains.

Its not so bad knowing that it wasnt just 10euro charge hiked up to 150 euro ... its still a rip off if this hosting company is making at least 50% on this charge.

PTL wrote:
    Well it wasnt blackknight :) how much would you guys have charged cause im seriously considering moving all my registration to you guys as you are alot cheaper on .ie domains.
    If the domain was in "extended redemption" with the registrar (ie. over 30 days gone but under 45 ) we would have had to pass on the cost we incur to you
    ie. if it costs me X then I will have to charge you X + something, as we are not a charity
    PTL wrote:
    Its not so bad knowing that it wasnt just 10euro charge hiked up to 150 euro ... its still a rip off if this hosting company is making at least 50% on this charge.
    It depends on which registrar they are with and the rates that they pay.

OK, I'm not an expert, only speaking from experience. I missed the renewal on my .com domain through a US registrar, who contacted me, I paid the renewal (for 5 years to avoid an immediate repeat) - total cost $55.

That's a hell of a lot less than €150, and included annual fees too.

So yes, I answered authoritatively, based on what I paid, not on what many Irish registrars may charge. That doesn't make me wrong, only not ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

who is the domain registered to - the host or the OP's client?
    how much work was involved by the host in what could be percieved as protecting the OP's clients interests?
    Why didn't the OP's client not bother to renew the domain in time if it was that important?
    What does the hosts terms say about this and did the OPs client agree to these terms?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

bpmurray wrote:
    In fact it's more expensive than the most expensive domains in the world (.ie).
    The .pr domain costs $1,000 per year!

Well duh! That's exclusively for trademarks. .isla.pr is $6.95 per year.

IEDR charge €79 + €16.59VAT for a .ie domain; most of the rest of Europe charge between €10 and €40; the really expensive ones like .pl are still less than €70.

.ie domains are over-priced and over-regulated. The absurdity is that I can't get my name on .ie, but I can just about anywhere else. .ie would only allow me something like bm99.ie - really useful!

bpmurray wrote:
    IEDR charge €79 + €16.59VAT for a .ie domain; most of the rest of Europe charge between €10 and €40; the really expensive ones like .pl are still less than €70.

Most people register domains through a reseller not directly, so you wouldn't have to pay the price you quoted

bpmurray wrote:
    Well duh! That's exclusively for trademarks. .isla.pr is $6.95 per year.

And IEDR actually has around 10% of the RETAIL market according to an interview late last year. Most Irish hosters sell .ie domains at a lower price than IEDR though.
    The absurdity is that I can't get my name on .ie, but I can just about anywhere else. .ie would only allow me something like bm99.ie - really useful!
    Perhaps if you name was Police, you could have got it. :) Yes IEDR actually permitted a cyberwarehousing operation to register police.ie and a pile of other dubious domains. There was a major problem a few years ago with IEDR and the permitting the registration of hundreds of generic medical terms and changing the regulations to give retro-active legitimacy to these registrations.

There was discussion of splitting .ie into a number of subdomains one of which would be .nom.ie or name.ie.

It would be interesting to see .ie as a completely unregulated ccTLD but IEDR and its board of hosting industry ignorant nobodies would have to be disposed of first and replaced by a competent, industry backed operation with proper input from all stakeholders. :)

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    Perhaps if you name was Police, you could have got it. :) Yes IEDR actually permitted a cyberwarehousing operation to register police.ie and a pile of other dubious domains.

While they may appear to be "dubious" they did not break the current rules.

blacknight wrote:
    While they may appear to be "dubious" they did not break the current rules.
    Which is why IEDR had the policy and regulatory component removed by legislation.

Regards...jmcc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

jmcc wrote:
    There was discussion of splitting .ie into a number of subdomains one of which would be .nom.ie or name.ie.
    Actually it was PN.IE that Walter Mitty was advocating. I think I'd prefer a .NAME*.

Then there was the magical letter+number change that happened only a few days before Digifone was bought by O2...

adam

.NAME is the stupidest TLD yet, although .COOP and .MOBI aren't far behind. .MUSEUM and .TRAVEL never fail to bring a laugh either.

jmcc wrote:

The problem with that is that very few people would actually want it..

Look at .name ....

I know this is probably off-topic, but do IEDR allow localised names and linguistically differentiated names, e.g. sean.ie and seán.ie?

Or, perhaps more amusingly, Francach.ie and francach.ie.

• Advertisement

bpmurray wrote:
    I know this is probably off-topic, but do IEDR allow localised names and linguistically differentiated names, e.g. sean.ie and seán.ie?
    They haven't implemented IDN yet, but I know they are working on it

bpmurray wrote:
    Or, perhaps more amusingly, Francach.ie and francach.ie.
    What's the difference?

blacknight wrote:
    What's the difference?
    It is an old play on words in Irish: one is French and the other is a rat. :)

Regards...jmcc

blacknight wrote:
    The problem with that is that very few people would actually want it..

Look at .name ....
    Yep. The take up of .biz and .info is even worse in Ireland.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote:
    It is an old play on words in Irish: one is French and the other is a rat. :)

Apart from the capitlisation is there any other difference?

jmcc wrote:
    Yep. The take up of .biz and .info is even worse in Ireland.

Tell me about it :)

Most of our sales of .info and .biz would be purely protective, though we do have one client who uses the .info for the open source site and the .biz for the commercial services, which seemed to be a nice way of handling it

Advertisement