Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unauthorized Transactions on Account?

Options
  • 07-03-2006 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    hope this is the correct forum for my question:
    I found *strange* transactions on my account statement today (AIB is working on it, but maybe someone else here has some idea what could be going on...)

The description on my account statement says "RAP SNI DIAL UP AT" - and they've taken out money twice last month (it's not much, 110 Euro in total, but still...) - and I cannot remember authorizing anyone/giving my account details to anyone to take out money apart from the usual suspects (BUPA, ESB and the like) - but does anyone here know who/which company could be behind the abbreviation?

I am really confused, and would like to get it sorted...so if anyone has an idea - please let me know!

Cheers
    galah

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

Dio you use dial up, or if you are still using dial up, is the modem still connected to the phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

I am using dial up, but I unplug the cable when I am done, usually. I can't see how they would get my account data, though - since it's not saved on the computer, and I don't have direct debit set up with Eircom - do you think it's something to do with the internet?

I meant:

Dio you use dial up, or if you are using broadband, is the modem still connected to the phone line?

No, it's not. ;-)

It could be. Unplugging the modem only ensures it won't dial while you are away, but there are diallers that actually drop your call and make a new one without your knowledge, while you are sitting in front of the PC. The title of the charge seems to suggest a link to dial up, but I agree that for this to hit your account directly is another issue (is it a CC or bank account statement?)

110 yo-yos is a lot of money, at least for me. Were the two charges the same amount?

• Advertisement

it's a bank account statement (normal current account) - if it was my credit card, it would be more "explainable" I suppose. The first time, it was 50 Euros, the second time 60 - both were taken out on a Monday, and I am sure I did not use the Internet the preceding weekends. I haven't got the statement for March yet, but it seems that it stopped after the 13th of February - unless this is a legitimate transaction (and I am just getting old and forgetful..), but the description just does not sound right, and does not ring a bell!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

galah wrote:
    Hi,
    hope this is the correct forum for my question:
    I found *strange* transactions on my account statement today (AIB is working on it, but maybe someone else here has some idea what could be going on...)

The description on my account statement says "RAP SNI DIAL UP AT" - and they've taken out money twice last month (it's not much, 110 Euro in total, but still...) - and I cannot remember authorizing anyone/giving my account details to anyone to take out money apart from the usual suspects (BUPA, ESB and the like) - but does anyone here know who/which company could be behind the abbreviation?

I am really confused, and would like to get it sorted...so if anyone has an idea - please let me know!

Cheers
    galah
    Hi galah,

I have got these transactions before and was baffled but eventually traced it to an ATM machine in a shop. You know the mini-atms that are located inside some convenience stores and pubs? Apparently some of them use a dial up connection so that's why you're seeing 'Dial Up AT' on your statement.
    Can you remember, have you used one of these to withdraw cash when out on the town or shopping? Maybe you are getting forgetful as you said :-) I think I suffer from the same as I could not recall when I first saw this on my statement.
    I was going to contact the bank but the next week I was able to match up the date and time when I used the mini-ATM with my statement so mystery solved!
    Hope this turns out to be your problem and not something more sinister...

YES! That's what it was! Cause I remember I was out those weekends, and getting money from one of those shop ATMs - Mystery solved!!!

Thanks so much!

But why, one wonders, can't they put a clear description on the statement? Something like "ATM small shop Galway" or something???? Would have saved me (and AIB, and everyone who had to listen to me in the past couple of hours...) a lot of hassle and worry...

Well spotted Fergus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

galah wrote:
    YES! That's what it was! Cause I remember I was out those weekends, and getting money from one of those shop ATMs - Mystery solved!!!

<turn off the bat signal>

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Usually you can ringup your 24hour banking and they can tell you where the ATM is, for future usage... I don't see how the bank had to "look into it".

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shevskedd

Thank you, old thread, you have solved my inquiry also........
    Small shop in Galway indeed! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

Closed, as this is an old thread.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement