Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband Roll Out?

• 07-03-2006 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

If there is a thread on this already please direct me to it. I have searched unsuccessfully so far.

I am in Dublin 5. According to NTL c/s (and I know they are the last to know usually) all of the Dublin area will be NTL broadband enabled within the next 5 months. Thats all he knew so that all he could tell me.

Has anyone done a list of areas that actually have access to NTL's broadband or those areas NTL are going to work on next?

Thanks for any extra info you may have.

Hoggie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I think parts of Dublin 5 are covered already.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hoggie wrote:
    If there is a thread on this already please direct me to it. I have searched unsuccessfully so far.

I am in Dublin 5. According to NTL c/s (and I know they are the last to know usually) all of the Dublin area will be NTL broadband enabled within the next 5 months. Thats all he knew so that all he could tell me.

Has anyone done a list of areas that actually have access to NTL's broadband or those areas NTL are going to work on next?

Thanks for any extra info you may have.

Hoggie

NTL wont release this information - this has been confirmed a zillion times in various threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

http://www.getbroadband.ie/

this site seems to have into on ntl .. just found it (im not sure how true it is)

seems my area (santry) can avail of ntl .. thats news to me :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Cr8or wrote:

this site seems to have into on ntl .. just found it (im not sure how true it is)

Nice WS, thanks!

Hoggie, ntl's 5 month = approx a year

But the good news is that they actually DO progressively work and expand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Cr8or wrote:

I'm in Santry and we've had NTL over a year now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

d15 one year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Cr8or wrote:

It's complete bollox. Apart from showing NTL coverage everywhere in Dublin, it also does not cover Smart or Clearwire and possibly others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Abc1

Blaster:

First of all I think your contribution to this forum is second to none!

However Please do some searching on our site before you make comments like that.

We certainly don't show NTL coverage everywhere in dublin, check the site and see, we had to do some serious work for that coverage accuracy and thanks to NTL for helping us in every way.

The NTL coverage is as accurate as possible without a postcode system being introduced in this country (if it ever happens). The coverage is accurate not just for dublin but also Galway and Waterford.

Try searching for NTL in Arbour Hill and then try Crumlin for example...

I am involved in said site and both Smart and Clearwire will be going live before the end of this month with coverage being our priority...

We are doing our best and any suggestions to improve PM me!

Thanks,
    ABC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Abc1, firstly I have searched your site before making these followning comments.
    Also dont think of this as criticism as such, more suggestions for improvement

its not accurate for galway

if you try knocknacarra which was the first area NTL came into in the city, NTL is not listed as available

as for the rest of the city, you could break it up into several areas rather then just "Galway"

try salthill, headford road, renmore etc to give a better breakdown.

Also Smart is not listed at all, yet they are in the Mervue and Shantalla exchanges and possibly more

To be honest your site needs work for Galway city users.
    Its quite a long way off accurate as possible

Thanks Joe,

We work from the information that we are supplied with from the different providers and the results that you get on the site reflect that. If we are not provided with an area of coverage we cannot list it on the site.. Many thanks for the suggestions, I will have a word with the MD tomorrow..

Smart are not live yet, they will be over the next few days.

Again, many thanks..

ABC..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

With regards to NTL, I picked a couple of locations in south Dublin that does not have NTL BB. Like Ballinteer. Like Stillorgan. Both show up on your site as having NTL BB. I incidently pity anyone trying to figure out where NTL has coverage but in Dublin SE you can pretty much assume there is none with a couple of exceptions.

It is comparatively easy to figure out where Smart has coverage. Clearwire has coverage maps on their site.

Hi Blaster,

Both those areas have got NTL coverage if somewhat limited. That's why I mentioned in my previous post that this country really needs postcodes.. Even ADSL coverage is difficult to do by location as your next door neighbour in certain areas might be on a different exchange.. This is rare and yes you are correct that ADSL and Wireless coverage is easier to 'predict' but there is no way of doing this 100% accurately. However I hate to rattle on but postcodes would help this situation greatly..

ABC..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Abc1 wrote:
    Thanks Joe,

We work from the information that we are supplied with from the different providers and the results that you get on the site reflect that. If we are not provided with an area of coverage we cannot list it on the site.. Many thanks for the suggestions, I will have a word with the MD tomorrow..

Smart are not live yet, they will be over the next few days.

Again, many thanks..

ABC..

i appreciate you can only go on the info supplied... esp if your not from an area

Smart are live in shantalla i think. Well i was switching provider in january and a guy i used to work with who now works with Smart was telling me how good the connections are in that area. Mervue is also live as a friend of mine signed up 2 weeks ago.

By the way, sometimes the customer support staff of providers don't know themselves where BB is available.

When i went looking for NTL first i was told firmly it wasnt available to me, ( still have the emails! ) however i knew of houses in the area with it so we rang Sales anyway and put in an order and had it installed within a week.

keep up the good work, the site is a good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

I remember speaking to guy who was in the new connections maintenance crew for NTL. He said that the roll out was slow due to fact that enabling new areas running off the same hub, put the "reliability" of existing connections at risk.

I asked him was my cable ok for broadband (in non-ntl bb estate) and he checked the strength and said it was +10. Whatever that means! He said as long as it was above 0 it could do broadband.

LK

Advertisement