Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite tattoo studio in Dublin?

Options
  • 07-03-2006 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

I just got a one done in Abyss Tattoo on Mary St. and I really like but from what I've seen Wild Eagle is the business

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭pepper

Sean7 wrote:
    I just got a one done in Abyss Tattoo on Mary St. and I really like but from what I've seen Wild Eagle is the business
    zulu tattoos brill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Zulu without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I've only gotten Tatts in Zulu, so I will have to say Zulu :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

stigmata tau in swords for me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'll give a shout to Colour Works, haven't got inked there myself (still a tattoo virgin) but I've been in with a few mates getting stuff done there and their work is good and they're very very clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Monos kitchen: best studio ever, where else can you get tattooed while watching dvds and then get cooked dinner/lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 pshar84

whats the name of the one in stevens grees sc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

pshar84 wrote:
    whats the name of the one in stevens grees sc

I wouldn't talk about that one as a studio as they have at least one terrible artist, mention the artists if you are quoting a chain as there is no point in discussing a place that employs some great artists and some frankly appauling artists.

Personally I can vouch for Debbie from Snakebite ( now in Celestial Ring Abbey St) being a good artist but fussy about styles.
    Gav in Zulu is good at blackwork and black and grey.

Talking about studios is a bit too general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Sean and especially Justin in Zulu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

splinter wrote:
    stigmata tau in swords for me

Whats it like?

i found their site here,but i would not be the best at knowing what makes a good tattoo

http://www.stigmata-tau.com

• Advertisement

Beekay wrote:
    Whats it like?

i found their site here,but i would not be the best at knowing what makes a good tattoo

http://www.stigmata-tau.com

Mick in Stigmata-Tau is excellent.

What makes a good tattoo is like the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" it rings true to a great extent with tattoos, but that is subjective.
    There are things that make tattoos good and bad, drawing skill is probably #1, if someone cant draw properly then they wont be able to tattoo. Then you have things like the actual technicalities of putting the ink into the correct layer of skin. Skin has a few layers and if you put it in too deep it spreads and "blows-out" i.e the lines get fuzzy, if you put it in too shallow then the ink wont stay and when it heals there is very little ink left under the skin. Lots more things but mostly drawing skill combined with a good technical ability, tattooing is not the same as drawing, the medium is different.
    Then you have real basics like straight lines, composition, placement and one of the most important things, an artist who can afford to turn down your work if they dont want to do it for whatever reason.
    It's not an easy answer but at least if you base it on technicalities it is easier answered. I suggest signing up to www.inkednation.com and watching their critique forum (rate my pic - hot ink) where artists put up their work for review, you will get the hang of the lingo etc in a short enough time.

The other thing is that a lot of people wouldn't know a good tattoo if it bit their balls.

www.tattooz.net used to be very good but it seems they are all hanging about on inkednation now and tattooz.net is almost dead, but then that's because they only allowed shop based properly trained tattoo artists to post there and would not allow anyone who tattoos from home or is not shop-trained to post there.

p.s. see I'm not always a smart-ass when the right question is posed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

lol,Thanks for the reply blub

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Mick in Stigmata-Tau is excellent.

There are things that make tattoos good and bad, drawing skill is probably #1, if someone cant draw properly then they wont be able to tattoo. Then you have things like the actual technicalities of putting the ink into the correct layer of skin. Skin has a few layers and if you put it in too deep it spreads and "blows-out" i.e the lines get fuzzy, if you put it in too shallow then the ink wont stay and when it heals there is very little ink left under the skin.

Tell me about it--since I started training Ive learned that the sheer amount of technical issues with tattooing is overwhelming.
    Id probably disagree that drawing is #1 though as some of the flash you do see out there could be drawn by a 10 year old especially the old school stuff and drawing with a pencil and paper is a lot easier than tattooing.A good artist has to be able to transfer the ability to draw on paper to tattooing on skin.
    Machine theory,cross contamination,sterile procedeure would be more important in my opinion.There are artists out there who buy flash from other artists,make a stencil,stick it on someones skin and it looks great yet they cant draw for anything but their work is considered good.

Hellrazer wrote:
    There are artists out there who buy flash from other artists,make a stencil,stick it on someones skin and it looks great yet they cant draw for anything but their work is considered good.

Anyone can learn the technicality of transferring a stencil to skin and getting it to stay in nicely, the ability to draw is practicable to a great extent but the best tattoo artists are people who transfer from more traditional artisitic media, Jay Russell for example.
    Still a lot of meh artists are considered good for replication of a style cleanly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dyin4atat

hey im 16 n im lukin 2 get a tattoo is der nywer in dublin datll do it 4 me??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

nowhere you actually *want* to do you. twill be there for life anyway, you might as well wait the other two years. if you want any sort of decent tattoo studio/standards, you'll wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

a few issues here:

1) wait until you are at least 18 to get inked please
    2) dont drag up a dead thread please
    3) type properly please
    4) read the charter first please before asking such questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

anywhere that will tattoo you at 16 isn't a very good place to get tattoed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

I went to Zulu and got a fairly big tattoo on my thigh. It was my first time there. I have to say, I'm not too impressed with the colouring in of my tattoo. It's seriously liney and there are still little white spots where it looks like they missed colouring in. Probably wouldn't go there again. Ones I got done in the mint were so much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭CorsetRibbons

anywhere that will tattoo you at 16 isn't a very good place to get tattoed

so true...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

my friend got a few before she was 18 and they surprisingly turned out well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

darren at colourworks. he got my polar bear ****ing perfect. perfecter than perfect. admittedly he did mention a couple of times that he was gonna have to kill me... but twas all worth it in the end :D

id gladly recommend him to anyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

I get my work done by Jani and Brian in Wildcat, Steven's Green. Both great artists. I'd really recomend Brian for people who are looking to get oldskool stuff done he's really great at that style and I've got to give props to Jani for transforming my idea for a traditional Japanese legsleeve into a beautiful Japanese portrait piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 marcotat2

nine lives tattoo are very good, im currently getting my sleeve done there and most of my friends have got stuff there,all turned out good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Marcos in Dublin Art Tattoo is good, my arm peice he did is my favourite of what I have.

Dont like the other manager guy in there though, did my back, turned out alright but hes a moody ****.

Marcos (i think that was the name) is very good for polynesian stuff though, id recommend.

Advertisement