Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

World experts road-safety conference Dublin

Options
  • 07-03-2006 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

In the papers today:

Experts from all over the world are meeting in Dublin today for the start of a two-day conference on road safety.

The event was arranged by the National Roads Authority to discuss ways to improve Ireland's road-safety record.

Hopefully the Irish driver licensing system is on the agenda but does it really take a crowd of experts to determine that Ireland is simply full of $hit drivers?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

el tel wrote:
    but does it really take a crowd of experts to determine that Ireland is simply full of $hit drivers?

nope
    a trip on any irish road tells you that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

had a discussion with my wife recently about the p i s s poor standard of Irish driving.

On one longish journey we started pointing out all the errors people were making, and we were both stunned by the sheer volume of mistakes we spotted (and I am sure we missed alot).

I'd guesstimate 50% were annoyances and 50% were quite dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

el tel wrote:
    In the papers today:

Experts from all over the world are meeting in Dublin today for the start of a two-day conference on road safety.

The event was arranged by the National Roads Authority to discuss ways to improve Ireland's road-safety record.

Hopefully the Irish driver licensing system is on the agenda but does it really take a crowd of experts to determine that Ireland is simply full of $hit drivers?
    It is better that they bring a load of expert here rather than send a bunch of our people on a round the world piss up.

With a bit of luck they will pick up a few tips. If the government has the will this could be a great oportunity to cherrypick best practices from around the world and implement a system here that is the envy of other countries and results in a reduction of road deaths and a drop in insurance.

Of course in reality probably nothing will change.

MrP

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Reading this [www.breakingnews.ie/2006/03/07/story248116.html] it appears that the NRA have discovered the benefits of creating overtaking lanes along our National Roads.
    Did they really need to hold a conference to discover theis benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

"World experts road-safety conference Dublin"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...booohooo-sniffle-sniffle :(

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    Reading this [www.breakingnews.ie/2006/03/07/story248116.html] it appears that the NRA have discovered the benefits of creating overtaking lanes along our National Roads.
    Did they really need to hold a conference to discover theis benefit?

I found the last bit of that article the most interesting:

"From the conference, Mr Cullen said the speed camera checks under the new privatised system would concentrate on single carriageway roads and be carried out late at night and on weekends."

Could actually be productive if it is done this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ambro25 wrote:
    "World experts road-safety conference Dublin"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

...booohooo-sniffle-sniffle :(

The visitors are the experts not the natives.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I think newly licenced drivers are fine but anyone licenced before the "cowboy" 1990s licencing when the waiting list was enormous should be retested. Provisional licenced drivers are at least a little bit safer with the theory thest (in theory) and certainly safer than people like my grandparents who bought licences in the 50s for 2s6d.

The simple fact is the younger generation generally DON'T drink and drive the older people do. under 25s have grown up with seatbelts and my grandparents as an example again seem to be an exception in their age group in using their seatbelts.

While our driving is far from the best in the world it is not the worst even in Europe. The French could come and learn how to use traffic lights here. The Spanish could learn that you dont speed up going into a roundabout and as for the Italians..............

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They should just give all the foreign delegates rental cars and get them to drive round Ireland for a couple of days. They'll come back with plenty of recommendations then :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

prospect wrote:
    had a discussion with my wife recently about the p i s s poor standard of Irish driving.

On one longish journey we started pointing out all the errors people were making, and we were both stunned by the sheer volume of mistakes we spotted (and I am sure we missed alot).

I'd guesstimate 50% were annoyances and 50% were quite dangerous.

I can wholeheartedly assure that I was in full control of the car at all times on Sunday, B. ;)

M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Some old guy (in his 60s it's old 2 me) pulled acroos the dual carriage way in front of my dad on his way home from work this afternoon to try and cross directly in the other direction instead of going to the next turn safely. He was coming out of the side road near Shiels on the Limerick Shannon dualler and my dad was only bout 10m from him when he pulled out and had to swerve into the hard shoulder to avoid the guy, yer man stared my dad out.

What a Pr1ck.

I agree, put the delegates in rental puntos c how people in bigger cars react to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Experts from all over the world
    One American (and his business partner), one Dane, one Swede, a few British, a few hundred Irish and me.

Hardly "all over the world".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

el tel wrote:
    In the papers today:

...... does it really take a crowd of experts to determine that Ireland is simply full of $hit drivers?

and some sheet roads to match. :D

mmenarry wrote:
    I can wholeheartedly assure that I was in full control of the car at all times on Sunday, B. ;)

M.

He he he,

I have video footage... :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Victor wrote:
    One American (and his business partner), one Dane, one Swede, a few British, a few hundred Irish and me.
    I always presumed you were Irish Victor. Where are you from then?

Victor wrote:

Hardly "all over the world".

And how would you refer to that particular group of people?

Advertisement