Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Omg Omg Omg Omg Omg

• 07-03-2006 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

i hear tales that lost is goin on for another 8 series..... and omg do i want to crack some skulls open if it is, talk about (and youll have to excuse my french) fcuking demolishing and raping a good fcuking story by dragging it out to the end of the earth. now..... if im wrong i retract my previous statement but if im right well those producers are gonna get one in the back of the head, sniper! 6 O'clock!

please someone tell me its not gonna be 8 series pls pls pls!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There is so many things wrong with that post! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Hardly anything-even shows with the best premise in the world- make it to 8 seasons. Lost isn't going to. The cast have already gotten a massive pay hike to get them to do a 3rd season so I'd be very doubtful about it even going past a 4th.

Next time, use reliable sources :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Quotes from Carlton Cuse and Damon Lindelof on the plan is. Bits which contains season 2 spoilers are spoilered (safe to read if you have seen up to 2x11 or so...)
    The team responsible for Lost already have the show's ending mapped out - even though it could run for another five years.

"We know what the ending is seriously," executive producer Carlton Cuse told The Sun Herald. "This is a show that demands an ending. We want to find out what is the fate of these people. Do they get off the island? What is the nature of the island? I mean there are some big fundamental questions that you want answered at the end of this show."

He added: "We do have an ending, we just don't know when we're going to get there."

Meanwhile, series co-creator Damon Lindelof described the current, second season as comprising "three acts".

"We thought about season two in three acts, almost like a movie.
    Act one was going to tell the story of the immediate aftermath of going into the hatch, the introduction of the people from the tail section and their journey back across the island.

"The second act was going to be the integration of these two people and then of course [there is] the third act that I'm not going to tell you anything about because we don't want to reveal it yet."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

I doubt it very much that any studio would plan 8 series for any show. 1/2 way through this 2nd series and I hope it's the last one or they make a film at the end of this one because otherwise it will just be annoying. Getting somewhere but going nowhere :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

red dave wrote:
    I doubt it very much that any studio would plan 8 series for any show. 1/2 way through this 2nd series and I hope it's the last one or they make a film at the end of this one because otherwise it will just be annoying. Getting somewhere but going nowhere :confused:

Most studios hope to get about 7 years from each commissioned series. Despite rising cast costs, it's often easier to have a show you know can bring in the ratings rather than have to risk losing money with one you're just launching. (Of course, both Lost and Desperate Housewives have had ratings drops this season, but they're still quite strong compared to other shows.)

In terms of answering questions or getting the tension/mystery/solutions balance right for the audience, this is up to the writers. If handled well, there's no reason it couldn't run for 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

i hear tales that lost is goin on for another 8 series..... and omg do i want to crack some skulls open if it is, talk about (and youll have to excuse my french) fcuking demolishing and raping a good fcuking story by dragging it out to the end of the earth. now..... if im wrong i retract my previous statement but if im right well those producers are gonna get one in the back of the head, sniper! 6 O'clock!

Your French is fucking terrible, Catsmokinpot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

red dave wrote:
    I doubt it very much that any studio would plan 8 series for any show.

afair Babylon 5 had its seasons planned well in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

And where did you hear these tales Cat? Got a source? LINK PLS KTHX OR STFU MFER LIEK YA!?! *ahem*

Hobbes wrote:
    afair Babylon 5 had its seasons planned well in advance.

Though even then it had difficulty getting the final series financed. It was a show which had its arc planned out over five years, certainly, but even ratings and financial pressures almost ended it at four (the last had to then be relatively padded out once it did get commissioned). Certainly Lost will run as far as it can until it reaches the end they want to give it - but there's no way they know how many years it will run for at this stage. They've just set up a premise on which to tell as many stories as they can until the end is imposed on it (by ratings/network decision/cast decision etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

doh.ie wrote:
    Though even then it had difficulty getting the final series financed. It was a show which had its arc planned out over five years, certainly, but even ratings and financial pressures almost ended it at four (the last had to then be relatively padded out once it did get commissioned). Certainly Lost will run as far as it can until it reaches the end they want to give it - but there's no way they know how many years it will run for at this stage. They've just set up a premise on which to tell as many stories as they can until the end is imposed on it (by ratings/network decision/cast decision etc.)
    well said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I really cant see this going anyway near 8 series. I think there will prob be 3 seasions of LOST. It is not the kind of show you can just keep dragging on and on..... i hope.

logik wrote:
    I really cant see this going anyway near 8 series. I think there will prob be 3 seasions of LOST. It is not the kind of show you can just keep dragging on and on..... i hope.

It'll definitely run for more than 3, as long as the ratings are decent, but probably not much beyond 6 or 7; if the story does get too drawn out or fans don't stick by it, it could end a lot sooner. All depends on the storytelling. Look at Alias - three quite successful years with fan and critical acclaim, but let down by wonky storytelling in the final two (better in the fifth, admittedly), which ultimately caused its demise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

its not.........

that is all

It's not going to be 8, I think.

But it could very well be 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Well if the thoery posted on another thread on this forum is correct (and it's a good solid theory) then it'll take at least 7 seasons to explain everything in full. I reckon it'll def be longer than 3 seasons..... I reckon 5 in total.

This is idle speculation though....anyone come across the writers views on this??

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭tosh_thedude

red dave wrote:

Maybe'll they'll make a film of the last and final episode, just to make the bucks. Wouldnt be suprised at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Great source :rolleyes:

I actually hope it does run for 8 series...or more. It'll almost definitely run for over 3 series (I think) but who know's?

The cast are probably going to be looking for money so hopefully they can afford it! I think it's pretty ignorant about them...some of these actors were VERY unknown..I think Maggie wasn't even an actor..she didn't even plan to get into tv so she should be glad she's on one of the leading tv shows and not ask for a pay rise. (I'm just taking her as an example..she probably hasn't even asked for more money).

Anyway, I really hope it does last very long, even though it's not as good as the first series it's still excellent IMO and it can only get better!

Now whether to decide to read that ultimate theory thread...:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

Faith wrote:
    Hardly anything-even shows with the best premise in the world- make it to 8 seasons. Lost isn't going to. The cast have already gotten a massive pay hike to get them to do a 3rd season so I'd be very doubtful about it even going past a 4th.

Next time, use reliable sources :rolleyes:
    well you obviously dont read into it much do you nice rolleyes by the way :D
    kyub wrote:
    And where did you hear these tales Cat? Got a source? LINK PLS KTHX OR STFU MFER LIEK YA!?! *ahem*
    nice sarcasm......
    Great source :rolleyes:
    nice rolleyes :rolleyes:

well my source was just speculation between myself and a mate of mine whose been looking at all the theories, the best theory so far arose some thoughts as to how long the series was going to last, from how fast the story is moving it looks like it could take 7 maybe 8 series, and then the very next day one of my other friends said he saw in some tv mag someone saying it could stretch to 8 seasons(you may not trust that as a source but i dont care wether you do, i was looking for facts thats why i asked the question), from past shows eg Xfiles ER etc, they went on for ages and became boring and drawn out, with things getting tiresome and less and less interesting every single show, i dont know about you but i dont want to spend my time watching seven seasons of ****e thats not going to go anywhere.
    Your French is ****ing terrible, Catsmokinpot.
    i know :D
    doh.ie wrote:
    Most studios hope to get about 7 years from each commissioned series. Despite rising cast costs, it's often easier to have a show you know can bring in the ratings rather than have to risk losing money with one you're just launching. (Of course, both Lost and Desperate Housewives have had ratings drops this season, but they're still quite strong compared to other shows.)

In terms of answering questions or getting the tension/mystery/solutions balance right for the audience, this is up to the writers. If handled well, there's no reason it couldn't run for 10 years.
    brilliant!! a non sarcastic answer that i was looking for thanks doh:D

Advertisement