Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Default Gateway

• 07-03-2006 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi, Ive been with Irish Broadband for the last few months now and have never been able to access the default gateway for my router... I dont have a problem pinging it but i cannot access it through any of the web browsers..
    The router is one supplied by IBB and it is an alvarion... Does anyone know what the reason for this is as i though all default gateways where accessible via browsers???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

aido_2006 wrote:
    Hi, Ive been with Irish Broadband for the last few months now and have never been able to access the default gateway for my router... I dont have a problem pinging it but i cannot access it through any of the web browsers..
    The router is one supplied by IBB and it is an alvarion... Does anyone know what the reason for this is as i though all default gateways where accessible via browsers???
    Disclaimer: My experience with IBB is limited to a single business install so my assumptions may not be correct.

If IBB's service to you is along the same lines as my single business install then you don't have a router. You have a transceiver that permits the communication between your site and IBB. The default gateway is a network device on IBB's network through which all your traffic goes.

The installation of a router at your own site is up to you. If you installed a router then that router would become the default gateway for your network. The router's default gateway would be the IBB default gateway. Under these circumstances you would then be able to access your default gateway with a browser (assuming the router offers this service).

A default gateway is only accessible with a web browser if the gateway is running a webserver. A gateway doesn't have to be running a webserver to be a gateway.

Hope this helps.

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

Thanks for that... That all makes sense now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A Default Gateway more applies to Routers, NAT firewalls and Proxy firewalls. The Gateway IP for these does not even have to be the same address as the web based config page.

Soem devices use Telnet or SNMP or a custom program. Some broadband interface devices have a configuration page but are not the Gateway.

A Gateway IP is the IP of a "something" on your subnet that traffic for other subnets should be routed to. If you have multiple networks only one should lead to other subnets (i.e. be on a subnet that has a gateway) and have a Defalt gateway IP defined.

If you unusually have multiple networks active and both have gateways then the PC may need either a manually created routing table or extra software so as to know when NOT to use the Default Gateway.

If it is working don't worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Taliesin

The router is one supplied by IBB and it is an alvarion...

The Alvarion is not a router/gateway. All it is is a pwer supply for the aerial. If you have no router of your own and your PC is plugging directly into the Alvarion then your Default Gateway is on the High Site and does not run a webserver. At least not one that replies to users :-)

Tal

Advertisement