Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Plaster Finish on Ceiling

Options
  • 07-03-2006 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have recently finished a extension/refurbishment of my house, 70 years old approx. We converted the main bathroom to an Ensuite and had the entire house skimmed internally. The house is end of terrace and has a concrete ring beam running around it. The Ensuite is situated upstairs in a corner of the house so therefore suffers from sloping ceilings (1.9m to 2.4m) on 3 sides due to the ring beam. I knew that it would be very difficult to get a really smooth finish on the ceiling but the end result is worse than I thought it would be, lots of "hills" are visible in the ceiling especially when the light is on. Sanding the hills out completely is out of the question (there are so many) and so is a re-skim (all the fixtures are in) can anyone tell me the best process or materials to use to sort the problem out?

Any suggestions welcome, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

What about the feathering off the ridges with some polyfiller? Sand down when dry and paint and maybe repeat if needed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

This is exactly what downlighting was designed for! hides all;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

Mad m - I was thinking of using fast set joint filler (there’s some left over). Would this be a better option than polyfiller? I find polyfiller very difficult to sand down to a perfect finish. I don’t want to start with the wrong material and make it worse.

stevec - Originally I was planning on down lighters but the slope in the ceiling made that impossible, so I’m stuck with a baton holder and bathroom globe shade, shows up all imperfections in ceiling! Although the hills are still visible in daylight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

hmmm.. cant think of anything except fill / sand. Pity you have the fittings in - this'll make a real mess.

If its the Gyproc powder type joint filler - dont use it - unless you're an experienced plasterer it's impossible to get a good finish. It's also nearly impossible to sand once its set.
    I've recently discovered "ProFin semi lite" (thanks to this forum) I'm using it on ceilings / walls and am very pleased with the results. It comes as a premix in (I think) 20kg tub. It sands really easily as well but does create tons of dust.
    I'd polybond the ceiling and put a few thin coats of this on with a plasterers trowel - sanding hills in between coats.
    Put some visqueen sheeting down and masking tape the door shut while sanding to control the dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

sounds good, where can i get some? Is it available in Homebase, Atlantic etc or will i have to go to a builders merchant?

ta

• Advertisement

It's made by gyproc - not seen it in DIY stores. I got it in Chadwicks I think €25ish for a tub - call to make sure it's in stock first. Heitons probably stock it as well.
    don't apply more than 2mm depth as it will shrink as it dries - i.e. leave 24hrs before sanding / re-coating.

Advertisement