Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applying for 2 driving tests

Options
  • 07-03-2006 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I have a provisional, and have been waiting for a test for 3 months
    I'm worried that when I actually do the test, which will be in in 9 months time maybe, that I could fail. I then would have to reapply and wait another 12 months.

But...

What if I apply now for another test, so that if I do fail I can at least take another test fairly quickly.

The only personal disadvantages are the waste of EUR 38 but this is definately cheaper then the loading I would pay on the insurance over the period and so is a financially sound strategy.

This may appear selfish insofar as it would increase the overall waiting list , but hey I'm the one paying for insurance, is the minister, or the media, or whoever else going to put their hands in their pocket, no of course, so you must look out for yourself.

If you have full licence and are reading this from your ivory tower you needn't reply :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Makes sense I guess. I have a full license for a long time btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Don't feel guilty, its a good idea and I'm sure loads of people on the waiting list do it.

I applied for Nenagh and Galway. Galway came up two months before Nenagh and I managed to pass this
    I then cancelled my test in Nenagh and got a refund.

I booked all this over the internet.
    Funny thing was that the refund for my Nenagh test came through 7 months later.
    I'd completly forgotten about it so it was a pleasant suprise to get the money back

• Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I have applied to three different places for exactly this reason, don't feel guilty, everyone I know thats waiting for their test has done the same independantly, the wait list is a self perpetuating fiasco.

I often wonder how many empty slots there are in the day simply because someone has already passed their test in one test center and forgotten/not bothered to cancel the other ones.
    Should be able to wait at the test centre for last minute vacancies, ie person not there at start time, first person in the queue gets to sit it instead.

I'm sure some will jump up and down about this but its reality, no shagging way am I going to wait over another year if I fail my first test..thus am making multiple aplications, am sure there are some people that have applied even more times at once too!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The american system of just showing up in the morning and taking a number would be great here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Be positive and prepare very well for your test. Get as many lessons as you can afford and you should pass first time. Put yourself under pressure to pass first time and you'll be fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

vector wrote:
    The only personal disadvantages are the waste of EUR 38 but this is definately cheaper then the loading I would pay on the insurance over the period and so is a financially sound strategy.

you can get your 38 euro back, its not a prob for them once you give them fair notice

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

Can you not just ask for a cancelation? ANd get the test in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Hi there, and greetings from a nice plush ivory tower...

I think the idea of applying for multiple tests is a good one, and it also serves to demonstrate the stupid nature of having to apply to a test centre from a list instead of being able to say apply to sit the test at any test centre in eg, "the greater Dublin area", "the North West", "the South East" etc etc.
    Maybe if more and more people do apply to multiple centres, the DoE will realise and perhaps allow a structure less defined than individual centres and be more region based.

I mean, if you are of sufficient standard to pass the test in Finglas, you should be able to pass the test in Churchtown. When I sat my tests, personally I hated having to pick one test centre and would have done what you suggest if only I had thought of it at the time.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

vector wrote:
    I have a provisional, and have been waiting for a test for 3 months
    I'm worried that when I actually do the test, which will be in in 9 months time maybe, that I could fail. I then would have to reapply and wait another 12 months.

If you plan to fail, you will fail.......

Advertisement