Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL totally rubbish at the moment

• 07-03-2006 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

Their DNS servers seem to have spontaneously combusted...

Getting perfect 362 kb/s speeds from anywhere I try, but absolutely sh*** browsing thanks to their DNSes working about every tenth attempt. I am sick of pushing F5...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Their DNS servers seem to have spontaneously combusted...

Getting perfect 362 kb/s speeds from anywhere I try, but absolutely sh*** browsing thanks to their DNSes working about every tenth attempt. I am sick of pushing F5...

So use someone elses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I tried telling my router to use eircom's DNSes then nothing was working.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

My NTL connection is also in tatters right now.
    Seems the first time I connect to any site it times out. Second or third time out it works, and works solidly to that site thereafter. :(

john
    BTW I'm in Christchurch, so it seems to widespread if DotF is in Shankill

sounds more like a problem with the transparent proxy server.

there should be a list of NTL proxy server's around, using one of these to get you over the hump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Could this be due to an iminant upgrade?

• Advertisement

fingers crossed!.

I'm certain it's not their transparent proxy, because if I try to ping any site it will regularly fail to do the lookup of their IP. Seems awfully like borked DNS.

My shankill NTL is actually on the same ring as Ballyogan if it means anything to anyone, the rest of shankill doesn't have NTL. My estate is the only one for a fair distance that can get NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

mines not too bad. Does anyone know the max speed a 120 modem can take? i heard its 5 meg.

fingers crossed!.

I'm certain it's not their transparent proxy, because if I try to ping any site it will regularly fail to do the lookup of their IP. Seems awfully like borked DNS.

My shankill NTL is actually on the same ring as Ballyogan if it means anything to anyone, the rest of shankill doesn't have NTL. My estate is the only one for a fair distance that can get NTL.

Ah ok, then yes it's more than likley DNS.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, mine was having DNS problems also about two hours ago for about an hour. I'm in D9.

Perhaps something to do with upgrades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i've started using the proxy server belf-cache-2.server.ntli.net port 8080 and it seems to be going ok now, as far as browsing goes. msn still isn't working tho

• Advertisement

carrotcake wrote:
    i've started using the proxy server belf-cache-2.server.ntli.net port 8080 and it seems to be going ok now, as far as browsing goes. msn still isn't working tho

point msn at the proxy and see how it goes.

If you just ask the engineers when they come to instal;l the broadband for a wireless router will they give you one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

ntlbell wrote:
    point msn at the proxy and see how it goes.
    tried that and still no go. in fact, browsing has gone crap again too. it must have made no difference in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mistmyr

Dub 24 here

Browsing has been gone to hell all evening, seems to have calmed down now :)

Upgrades :) Fingers crossed........

Misty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Funny that - I was playing FFXI last night and some of the guys on NTL in the UK were complaining about busted DNS servers and MSN not working.

Seems like its not localised to Ireland!. We are still connected to the UK network in some way aren't we?.

My browsing in Lucan has been ok, no major problems by the way!.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ArthurG wrote:
    Seems like its not localised to Ireland!. We are still connected to the UK network in some way aren't we?.

Yes, we still seem to be using the NTL:UK infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

NTL problems out here in Cabinteely and have been for a couple of weeks now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

NO problems in Clondalkin

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

Browsing is still horrible here, works one minute then it doesnt work at all, has been like this since early yesterday morning, D24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

rubbish in d15 too but latency is fine !! strange !!!!!

• Advertisement

Yeah it's only the DNSes that are bolloxed. I still get normal, or even less than normal pings and totally normal speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dodge wrote:
    NO problems in Clondalkin
    Actually, its fairly **** in clondalkin now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭yawn

fine for me in d24

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Did anyone ring them?

I should be getting it installed tomarrow in waterford.Is it affecting anyone in waterford??Would it affect the whole of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭RintPete

I should be getting it installed tomarrow in waterford.Is it affecting anyone in waterford??Would it affect the whole of Ireland.

Don't know about W'ford but its pretty crap in Galway. I'm getting 6% QoS from IrishIspTest.com

-=- RintPete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

has anyone had them call out and replace there modem? they came to my mums house a few weeks ago and did this.

QoS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

?

• Advertisement

RintPete wrote:
    Don't know about W'ford but its pretty crap in Galway. I'm getting 6% QoS from IrishIspTest.com

-=- RintPete

I've always gotten random QoS figures from that site on Eircom/BT/NTL. The QoS thingy they have just means nothing at all, total crap.

Seems fine for browsing again tonight, haven't had a single timeout.

Advertisement