Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL totally rubbish at the moment

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Yeah it's only the DNSes that are bolloxed. I still get normal, or even less than normal pings and totally normal speeds.

if the DNS servers were b0ll0xed then you could not resolve any addresses

did you try nslookup to query the servers?

sounds like it could be a caching problem more than dns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

What does QoS stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

quality of service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

if the DNS servers were b0ll0xed then you could not resolve any addresses

did you try nslookup to query the servers?

sounds like it could be a caching problem more than dns

They were working like every 5th or 6th try. It was definitely a DNS problem...

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

perfect in tyrrelstown

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Grand in waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

Has been woeful for me the past week or two. However tonight its been perfect. No problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

i may have a solution for you lads with the slow / crap DNS issues you are having. AnalogX has a tool called Fast Cache(http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/fc.htm). you give it 2 working DNS servers (preferably not NTLs ones as they dont work, most of the time) and set your computer to use 127.0.0.1 as its DNS server (under network settings, TCP/IP, etc). then, when you make a request, it uses your local machine, which calles one of the 2 working (hopfully) DNS servers. then caches the info. the next time you make the request, if the name has not timed out, you get it, and a LOT quicker. I tired it a while back and i saved something like 3 hours in 2 days! only reason im not using it now is i have a full on DNS server (win2k3 AD with DNS) so it does DNS queries, but again, it uses 2 different DNS servers other then NTL. Hope this helps!

dlofnep wrote:
    Grand in waterford.

Cheers man!!! i got THe 3meg package installed today after being on 56k for years i am so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yeah its grand for me in waterford.

Was it just down for anyone else now?I think my computer might be ****ed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

lotas wrote:
    preferably not NTLs ones as they dont work, most of the time

oh really? are you aware what a DNS actually does?????

well, as there are only 2 NTL DNS servers for the country, and you claim they dont work, that means that every single NTL broadband customers connection dies when your goes off? really? that makes LOADS of sence!!!!

Advertisement