Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loft Ladders

Options
  • 07-03-2006 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I promised her indoors Id install a loft ladder this week end. its a farko one. Anyone done this before any advice, feedback. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

pd2006 wrote:
    I promised her indoors Id install a loft ladder this week end. its a farko one. Anyone done this before any advice, feedback. Thanks in advance
    1) Read the instructions
    2) Measure the roof
    3) go back to 1)

Seriously, its far better to cut the hole too small than too big.

Though depending on they type you might not need to cut a hole at all.
    My parents have a telescopic alu that just lies on the floor using the existing opening.
    We have a Staire which works very well and takes up far less space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

Make sure you have it the correct distance, so when it is installed that it does not touch anything etc, it will take you at least 5 hours if not more so any kids in the house get them out if u can get someone to help you all the better,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Dan_B

Put one in myself recently and it is defenitley a two man job unless you have a harnesses or something to hold it up while you are securing.
    Jigsaw is also handy to cut out celling to required size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

GreeBo wrote:
    Though depending on they type you might not need to cut a hole at all.
    My parents have a telescopic alu that just lies on the floor using the existing opening.
    We got one of these from B&Q for around €100. Works fine, no cutting required and easy to fit. However, still a bit too ladder for the missus to use, as opposed to the stira types.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

Two people would be handy for hoisting it into position but to hold it while it is secured you use a couple of temporary laths at each end as described here...http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infatticstairs/installing_attic_stairs.shtm

This means that it doesn't have to be a two man job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

does anyone know anyone that fits these?

remember getting a flyer in the door bout a year ago, they were charging around €150.

stira are a feckin rip off, what's that their charging? €500?

might tackle on my own, would be afraid of fcuking it up though.

op, http://www.buy4now.ie/atlantic/productdetail.aspx?pid=810827&loc=P&catid=10.3

Advertisement