Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Controlling Video Output Delay

• 07-03-2006 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hopefully someone can help me...

Using a mini DV camcorder, need to diplay the recording in real-time (almost) on a monitor/TV. The real-time isn't the problem- it's the 'almost' part. It is nessessary to delay the output by 20-30secs. Any ideas how I can manage this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

cathy? orla? sarah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Snipho wrote:
    Hopefully someone can help me...

Using a mini DV camcorder, need to diplay the recording in real-time (almost) on a monitor/TV. The real-time isn't the problem- it's the 'almost' part. It is nessessary to delay the output by 20-30secs. Any ideas how I can manage this?

It depends, either A) time the exact delay, load the recording into a video editing software and add 20-30sec of black at the head. B) have the output remote controled, some mini dv cameras have a small remote control device to press play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Am I being dumb.... I don't understand the question.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think they want the video to display 30 seconds after it's been run over the play head...

I'm not sure why though.

OP, care to explain the situation to us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

I think they want the video to display 30 seconds after it's been run over the play head...

I'm not sure why though.

Thats what my thinking was. The obvious question is, why? Understanding the circumstances of what exactly you want to do. And why you want to do this, would help.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Perhaps it's an attempt to fake a moon landing or something.

I got this effect once actually when I was using a wireless feed module on a JVC DV cam. The camera could feed footage wirelessly back to a PC from a range of about 50 yards.. but there was about a 30 second delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭moonboy

if its what i think it is they would want to film someone walking into a room and when the person gets into the room there will be a monitor there and theyll see themselves walking into the room..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Snipho

Close... It's for an installation this weekend for EV+A fringe in Limerick. One of the artists wishes to record the viewer looking at a piece on a TV. There will also be another TV at the back of this (back to back) displaying the viewer watching the first TV. In order for the viewer to see themselves there will have to be a delay applied...

I'm sorry I don't have the specs of the camcorder (all I know is that it has night vision) but I will be talking to the artist tonight and will post any additional information I get- any help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

..... You could just run it through a delay.... You'd have to buy/rent one.

John

Cheers, but what do you mean by a delay? Is there equipment specifically designed to solve this problem... can you point me in the direction of the exact name of this equipment?

It's just been suggested to me to use a TV receiver module (TV tuner card, whatever it's called...) for a PC, as (like in Sky/streaming on the net) for live feeds you can delay the playback and it will buffer information coming in until you're ready to watch it. I'm going to pick one up tomorrow and test it out... maybe by 'run it through a delay' you mean the same idea?

Cheers for the advice- keep it coming! I'll let ye know if I get a solution working.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

Who, me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Original Poster

It's called an Audio/video Delay. It might not be able to delay it 30 seconds.

John

Getting a delay unit isn't possible for me... but thanks for the suggestion- it's great to know it's out there. At the moment I'm trying out the TV Tuner Card... never used one before but straight off it ain't working for me! :-(

Will keep trying though... Anyone around Limerick tomorrow, there's an EV+A Fringe Exhibition 'two o'clock fallout' at Dowdarragh House, Castletroy. Up the little road by the Ulster Bank on the Dublin Road. Running from 2pm til 2am. Invited artists include: Joel Cahen (London based), Ciara Finnegan (Belfast/Limerick based), Keri Jones (Berlin based), Katarina Mojzisova (Limerick based), Paul O' Neill (London based), Jurgen Simpson (Limerick based). A number of submissions were also made to the event- successful applicants will be exhibiting their work also. The event comprises interactive live art/multimedia: dance, performance, video, sound composition, dj-ing, installation....

AN INTERDICIPLINARY EVENT OF A NON-LINEAR NATURE

Advertisement