Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sound Engineering in the TBMC

• 07-03-2006 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hi, I would just like to hear fronm anybody who has done sound enginnering in the TBMC.

I basically want to know what the training is like and if the over-all facilities are good. I hear its better than the one in Ballyfermot

Also what are the costs and is it possible to get some sort of a grant.

I would also like to know what are the job prospects after the course is finished.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this sort of question mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Lr158 wrote:
    Hi, I would just like to hear fronm anybody who has done sound enginnering in the TBMC.

I basically want to know what the training is like and if the over-all facilities are good. I hear its better than the one in Ballyfermot

Also what are the costs and is it possible to get some sort of a grant.

I would also like to know what are the job prospects after the course is finished.

Cheers

job prospects 0 to 0.5%

theres about new 500 qualified sound engineers in dublin EVERY YEAR

everyone is a qualified sound engineer at this stage

tbmc is a great course. you might get work, you might not

a chap i did it with was doing sound for noise control on their tour with the prodigy last year, so theres a chance

its who you know not what you know tho

if you wanna do the course, do it coz its something you really wanna spend time learning, not to get a job. it also helps to have the ten grand spare for the 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

10k wtf?

What sort of stuff would you be learning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭base2

Sound engineering courses are one of the big swindles for all sorts of dirctionless youths.

If you have tens of thousands to burn and just want a bit of fun go for it. In truth, if you are proabably doing your job prospects more harm than good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lr158

Helix wrote:
    job prospects 0 to 0.5%

theres about new 500 qualified sound engineers in dublin EVERY YEAR

everyone is a qualified sound engineer at this stage

tbmc is a great course. you might get work, you might not

a chap i did it with was doing sound for noise control on their tour with the prodigy last year, so theres a chance

its who you know not what you know tho

if you wanna do the course, do it coz its something you really wanna spend time learning, not to get a job. it also helps to have the ten grand spare for the 2 years

I do actually want to spend time learning it.

Great information though, I shall have a think about it

Thanks

• Advertisement

Anima wrote:
    10k wtf?

What sort of stuff would you be learning?

studio engineering, electronic music production, studio maintanance, recording techniques, studio theory, music theory

its not a cheap course, but its the best in the country by a mile

you get more studio time in 3 months in tbmc than you do in the entire course in pulse or ballyfermot. when i was in first year we were in different studio learning techniques 6 hours a week, then when you get up to a certain standard you can have all the studio time you want if its available

base2 wrote:
    In truth, if you are proabably doing your job prospects more harm than good.

no, youre not in fairness

if you do a bad course then yes, but if you do a course where by the end of it you know your way around several industry standard desks including a neve, and become massively proficcient with a protools hd rig, then youre putting yourself in an extremely good position. the only thing is that theres bugger all jobs in that part of the industry in ireland

one of tbmcs students from 3 years ago, stefano sofia, was assistant engineer on muse - absolution recorded in grouse lodge studios in westmeath (owned by the owner of the tbmc)

Coming from a non sound engineering or indeed creative arts side of it, which lets face it, thats where the majority of these graduates are going to have careers.

erm

no

studying to be a sound engineer means youre studying to be a sound enginner, not a creative artist

I was asked my advice by someone who wanted to do the course in Maynooth.
    #
    I told him that as he isnt going to have his career in sound engineering (apart from what, a handful of people) that it would harm his chances of employment in the real world. If you know what your doing then thats fine but you know yourself, how many of those lads you did that course with knew what was going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 coweyed

base2 wrote:
    #
    I told him that as he isnt going to have his career in sound engineering (apart from what, a handful of people) that it would harm his chances of employment in the real world. If you know what your doing then thats fine but you know yourself, how many of those lads you did that course with knew what was going on?

C'mon, how can learning something new and having a qualification *harm* someones chance of employment? At worst they might be out of pocket and a year down but its defiantly not going to *harm* their employment..

I'm doing the part time course in tbmc at the moment, while also working full time.. I really like the course, don't get as much studio time as i'd like or as the full time students but you learn a lot..
    I had my first proper recording there in the studio last week with a band i brought in and it was deadly..
    As Helix said, its a very tough industry to break into but you'll never know unless you give it a try.. And as for it being an industry where it's all about the pple you know, where else are you going to meet the pple that matter other than by doing a course like this..

base2 wrote:

i did the course without wanting a career in sound engineering. i now have my own 12,000 quid studio (not abbey road but still) to play around with whenever i want, and ive been released on a sub label of warner

if you want to make electronic music, do the tbmc course

if you want to be a sound engineer, do the tbmc course, itll help

if you want to be a live engineer, do the live course in tbmc

if you have a vague interest in music and think itd be something cool to do, dont bother, coz youll have to break your balls working to get anything out of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 breandan

I did the TBMC course several years ago.
    I did the studio sound engineering course but am now working for a live band (go figure)!
    I must say thought that I got that gig for alot of reason not just the fact that I know a little about 'sound'.
    As other posters have said there are dozens of people for every live/studio job so dont expect to just walk into a studio at the end of a year in the TBMC or anywhere else for that matter.

One more thing, I believe that the personell and venue ect have changed in regards to the TBMC since I was there so I cant comment on the courses offer now but when I was attending I found the courses to be very good and the tutors all excellent but at the end of the day its all about how much effort your willing to put in and ultimately thats the bottom line (in my opinion anyways).

All the best though whatever you choose and let no **** piss on your dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lr158

Good info there. I would have a big interest in doing it anyway

Advertisement